Our partner

Early Puberty and sexual abuse?

Open Discussions About Sexual Abuse and Incest.

Moderators: scepticalblahblah, narcbolan, salted lipstick, CrackedGirl, Restored

Forum rules
You are entering a forum that contains discussions of abuse, some of which are explicit in nature. The topics discussed may be triggering to some people. Please be aware of this before entering this forum.

Early Puberty and sexual abuse?

Postby leeroad » Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:51 am

I got my period a month after turning nine years-old, but had pubic hair at seven. My mother started her period when she was nine as well, so I suppose heredity definitely plays a role. However, she was also raped by a family member repeatedly at 4-5 years old. I've always wondered if there might be a correlation.

I've heard a lot of mixed things regarding the relationship between early pubertal development and a history of PREVIOUS sexual abuse. I know that early puberty is the product of increased sex hormones but what triggers that increase? Can living in an overly-sexualized environment or being abused cause a child's body to produce more estrogen and go into puberty? Is it coincidence? Has anyone else experienced this?
leeroad
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:23 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Early Puberty and sexual abuse?

Postby evanessence » Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:16 am

your post strck a chord with me but in the opposite way ,for me i was almost 16 before i had any body hair ,which made my usefulness to pedophiles last a lot longer . i know when it's adult male molesting boys puberty means one of two things ,he will either ignoe you or take mesasure to keep you quiet , pubic hair was the death knell for pedophiles. the best thing about puberty? it makes a lot of kids safe from the true pedophiles. i believe molestation at a very young age has an effect on development of the sex organs in boys .
evanessence
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:23 pm

Postby MapleSyrup » Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:38 am

leeroad wrote:I got my period a month after turning nine years-old, but had pubic hair at seven. My mother started her period when she was nine as well, so I suppose heredity definitely plays a role. However, she was also raped by a family member repeatedly at 4-5 years old. I've always wondered if there might be a correlation.

I've heard a lot of mixed things regarding the relationship between early pubertal development and a history of PREVIOUS sexual abuse. I know that early puberty is the product of increased sex hormones but what triggers that increase? Can living in an overly-sexualized environment or being abused cause a child's body to produce more estrogen and go into puberty? Is it coincidence? Has anyone else experienced this?

From the MEDICAL point of view, girls can reach puberty and get their first period at the age of nine. This is still NORMAL though rare. It may run in families (your mom was same).
If you were never exposed to any sort of abuse...if you have no memories of such thing, then just live a happy life..and be positive
MapleSyrup
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Local time: Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:23 pm

Postby leeroad » Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:21 am

MapleSyrup wrote:
leeroad wrote:I got my period a month after turning nine years-old, but had pubic hair at seven. My mother started her period when she was nine as well, so I suppose heredity definitely plays a role. However, she was also raped by a family member repeatedly at 4-5 years old. I've always wondered if there might be a correlation.

From the MEDICAL point of view, girls can reach puberty and get their first period at the age of nine. This is still NORMAL though rare. It may run in families (your mom was same).
If you were never exposed to any sort of abuse...if you have no memories of such thing, then just live a happy life..and be positive

True, but is the development of breasts and hair under the age of 8 normal? That is the part I am more confused about. I do not have overt memories of abuse by adults, but I remember constant sex play with my peers and I've been struggling with PTSD since I was a child. I would like to live a happy life and take advantage of my lack of memories, but I have been falling apart lately with no idea why. Overwhelming emotions I don't understand, fears of the dark, terrors, constant nausea, this feeling that something happened but i don't know what. I'm all visceral feelings, no memories, nothing tangible. I found out on Christmas that my mother was incredibly neglectful when I was around 4-5 years old and left me in a facility with child rapists and abusers. I am just now beginning to wonder if the little areas in my life that seemed all out of place are related. My mother stopped taking care of me when she remembered her own sexual abuse. I wonder if there was a reason why she suddenly recalled her abuse and why she hated me so much.

To evanessence, thank you for the response and I am so sorry for what you had to deal with. Puberty launched my mother and I into a period of hypersexuality, but it also did protect at least her. Older men still were interested, but not the pedophiles of the past. Related or not, there was some relief to be had I suppose.
leeroad
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Postby MapleSyrup » Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:04 am

leeroad wrote:
MapleSyrup wrote:
leeroad wrote:True, but is the development of breasts and hair under the age of 8 normal? That is the part I am more confused about. I do not have overt memories of abuse by adults, but I remember constant sex play with my peers and I've been struggling with PTSD since I was a child. I would like to live a happy life and take advantage of my lack of memories, but I have been falling apart lately with no idea why. Overwhelming emotions I don't understand, fears of the dark, terrors, constant nausea, this feeling that something happened but i don't know what. I'm all visceral feelings, no memories, nothing tangible. I found out on Christmas that my mother was incredibly neglectful when I was around 4-5 years old and left me in a facility with child rapists and abusers. I am just now beginning to wonder if the little areas in my life that seemed all out of place are related. My mother stopped taking care of me when she remembered her own sexual abuse. I wonder if there was a reason why she suddenly recalled her abuse and why she hated me so much.

How old are you now? feel free NOT to answer. ABNORMAL early puberty is associated with too many other medical disorders. If things were abnormal you wouldn't be as you are right now.

I think you were (are) fine from the medical field.
Have you seen a therapist? This will certainly help a lot.
MapleSyrup
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Local time: Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:23 pm

Postby CrackedGirl » Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:50 am

I think that using early puberty as a marker for abuse may well not be reliable. Having said that you know how you feel and if you do feel that there is something amiss then talking to someone would likely help.

Cracked
Thank God you're not the jury, thank God I'm not the judge
Here's to a bigger picture, here's to the bigger love!

We don't delete posts on demand

The Rules

Liberal Backslider

Obey The Moderator

CrackedGirl
Site Admin

Local time: Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:23 am
Blog: View Blog (177)

Postby leeroad » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:54 pm

Thank you for the responses everyone; I am not using puberty as a marker per say, but I had heard from someone that there was a correlation and was curious if anyone had any information. I DO have PTSD and my mother gave me the book Courage to Heal for Christmas last year despite never once having spoken of anything abusive with her. I think I may have been at least exposed to sex at an early age, but I don't think this because of when I did or did not begin menstruating. There were a lot of other more telling experiences in my childhood than that. I was just curious if anyone else had a similar experience or had any information proving or disproving the theory.

I am in my early 20's. I had really bad kidney infections in kindergarten but for the most part my problem areas have been behavioral/psychiatric and not medical. My only medical problem is eating disorder related that I know of. I have a psychiatrist but no therapist at the moment. I've never spoken to anyone about this because all I have been able to remember is child on child sort of sexual games that I don't think are traumatic enough to warrant seeing a therapist. I was the one initiating these games for the most part, so aside from the guilt, I don't think that has affected me. My earliest memories are of touching other kids and masturbating...I always felt like I was just born that way. It wasn't until recently that I've begun to wonder if I learned that behavior somewhere; but once again, it's not the early period that triggered that suspicion. It's just something I have been curious about as it came up while talking to a friend.

Thank you again for the responses though.
leeroad
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Postby 4horsegal » Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:54 am

I don't think there is a relationship between puberty and abuse. Development depends on many things- genetics, nutrition, exposure to hormones in food and/or chemicals in the environment all play a role.

Most children do not go around touching other children inappropriately unless they learned that behavior from somewhere. Granted some curiosity is normal - what you describe does not sound normal. Kidney infections could be a sign that something happened- usually as a result of an untreated UTI that moves up into the kidneys.

Maybe you should talk to your mother? She might know something assuming you can get her to talk about it and assuming you want to know.
4horsegal
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:23 pm

Postby RelapsedSaint » Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:42 am

in terms of medically - I've not a clue.

However, I was sexually abused and started puberty very young (periods started at 8).

This doesn't align with the rest of the women in my family; who were all 15 - 17

Obviously one person doesnt make a correlation though.

Have you tried asking your mum if there's any gaps in your memory she could fill in? or hypnosis? To be honest; if you can bear it, I'd grasp the ignorance with both hands and get on with life
There are no weaknesses nor mistakes, there are only areas of opportunity and learning possibilities
RelapsedSaint
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Blog: View Blog (8)

Postby leeroad » Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:08 am

Thanks again for the responses; I figured it might have been a shot in the dark, I was just intrigued because I had noticed that a lot of people I knew that were sexually abused developed early or abnormally. Oh well.

I have been wanting to ask my mother, but I am afraid to because I don't think she is mentally strong enough. I feel as if she knows something, but its too painful to speak. She becomes angry instead. She becomes very emotional, defensive, and eager to change the subject when I question her about the most mundane aspect of my childhood. Worse yet, her memory is pitiful; she seems to have the same gaps as I do. All I can gather is that when I turned 4 years-old she recalled her own trauma, she suffered a mental breakdown, I began acting out and getting kicked out of school, and I've been in a downward spiral of depression ever since with no idea why. I've been depressed for so long I have just accepted it as a part of me, never tried to attribute it to anything until now. My mother doesn't remember anything when I was 4 years-old, its a lost year, we are just as clueless. I am mortified of asking her about anything. I don't know what to do.

I am desperate to have peace and I can't have peace right now, I want to either remember everything or nothing. A month ago or so I began having flashbacks and dissociative episodes. I keep breaking down crying and not knowing why but just feeling overwhelming fear and sadness. The more I recall about my childhood (little things like toys I had and places I went) the more distressed I become. I feel like something is there and I am getting closer to it, but its so painful and the journey to filling the gaps is strained because my family seems to have amnesia. It really frightens me. I feel sick all of the time. I almost vomited last night after watching a movie that I had forgotten all about but just remembered that i used to watch it all of the time as a kid. These episodes are getting worse but I can't make sense of it, and my parents were so unavailable and neglectful that they are of little use. My father doesn't even know how old I am and my mother is and was emotionally unstable...her memory is a vacuum. She remembers very little of my childhood other than that I became very difficult at 4. I began screaming and crying and not sleeping and being destructive.

Sorry for rambling a bit :/ hehe I am a little frazzled right now, this has been distressing me a lot. I want to be ignorant of this again, but something has been triggered and I can't go back to the way things were, the floodgates don't close. It was so much easier before these episodes began. I can't even look at my parents the same way again, everything is changed and sad all of a sudden.
leeroad
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Next

Return to Sexual Abuse and Incest Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post