Our partner

Would a child who was molested be more likely to molest?

Open Discussions About Sexual Abuse and Incest.

Moderators: scepticalblahblah, narcbolan, salted lipstick, CrackedGirl, Restored

Forum rules
You are entering a forum that contains discussions of abuse, some of which are explicit in nature. The topics discussed may be triggering to some people. Please be aware of this before entering this forum.

Would a child who was molested be more likely to molest?

Postby Cloud09 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:36 am

Hey everyone. I know of a person who was molested as a child by an older boy. Well, now, this same boy (the one who was molested that I just mentioned) is about 15 years old and is in a child's home because he molested someone who was several years younger than him. Do those who were molested often become molesters?
Cloud09
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:22 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Would a child who was molested be more likely to molest?

Postby Chucky » Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:57 pm

I am doubtful, Cloud, that those who have been abused/molested are more likely to end up as abusers/molesters themselves. In fact, I imagine that the rates are even less than the normal population. That's my opinion. There might be data in psychological journals about this, which I can help you to find if you wish? I have access to a wide range of journals.

Kevin
psychforums.com rules:
http://www.psychforums.com/forum-rules.php

Please send me a private message if you need help with anything.
Chucky
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:22 pm

Postby Blondie2000 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:48 am

Hey,

There is a cycle of abuse whether it is molestation, domestic violence, etc. People who were abused have a more likely chance of being an abuser their ownselves. It is a vicious cycle. Here is the deal.

It is up the the abused child to break that cycle or pattern of abuse.

I took a couple of psychology classes and this is what they teach in college.

Some abused people choose to break this cycle and become wonderful parents and others just know to do what was done to them. The ones who are wonderful parents don't forget and teach their children different and put them wise to watch out for things that let's say a parent did not teach them.

Hope this helps.
Blondie2000
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:22 pm

Postby Shattered_Crystals » Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:25 am

Well, most molesters were the victim of molestation according to studies.
Shattered_Crystals
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby evanessence » Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:04 pm

i think it's a myth ,some people call it the vampire theory you know if you get bitten you are doomed to become one yourself .i don't like it cause mostly it comes from the molester trying to justify what they did and besides if a pedophile tells me something i don't think i'm gonna believe it.one of my abusers that was family tried the abuse excuse ,didn't work . besides look at al of us we got hurt and for me the last thing i would ever do is make somebody else have to live with what i do
evanessence
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Cloud09 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:36 am

Well, my little brother was molested when he was around 8 years old by another boy who was about 4 years older than him. Since then, he was caught molesting my sister's step-daughter who was about 7 or 8 years old at the time. He was put in a youth home and has been in intensive therapy including lie detector tests. Unfortunately, he has not been very cooperative and is probably going to be in there until he is at least 18, possibly 21. Apparently, he has molested at least 2 other girls/boys. He was even discovered to have fondled my own nephew once. I hate that he has to be this way and I sincerely hope that he changes. I am deeply ashamed of him although I do still love him. Unfortunately, I think a life time spent mostly in prison is in his future. :cry:
Cloud09
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:22 pm

Postby justherefornow1 » Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:08 pm

well it works both ways like I have grown up in my middle childhood in a domestic violent household and like read that usually you take either roads one is being the abuser or abused. I think it's kind of the same there where it's either the person hurts others or hurts themselves. It is different with each individual. I was molested and I'd never do that but I'm not every person. To me I see it moreso a way of coping with what happened than anything. Also I think that age plays a factor too. Like if it's in early middle childhood or early childhood the personality of that child really hasn't formed and maybe that incident shaped them to be more prone to be the abuser. While if he were older it would be diffent. That's just what I think. Also many might not be the abuser but let or put other children in the way of abuse as well.
justherefornow1
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Postby evanessence » Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:34 pm

i agree that some survivors could become offenders ,but many also become addicts or criminals who have to steal to get by because the abuse makes it impossible to get by in society. my problem is that every pedophile that ever got caught says they were abused and i do not believe that . it's the abuse excuse ,they use their crime as an excuse ,even if they were abused it doesn't lesson what they did,i used to belong to a survivor site with 3000 members ,of course no one had to be honest but i think i can say not one of them ever dreamed of abusing a kid . there are people who believe if your molested your doomed to be a molester. and they are the main reason that a survivor sometimes faces the same discrimination that an offender would ,i didn't fight for my life to survive and be treated like i can't be trusted .in foster several placements either ended when the details of my past were brought up or it drasticly changed how the fosters treated me . in two homes with little space to spare i got my own room ,wow cool huh ?except the door had a lock on the outside so i wouldn't get up in the night and molest the other kids . i had my own room cause they didn't trust me . i didn't sexualy abuse anyone i was the freakin victim !!!! funny people just assume a 14 year old couldn't figure this out .so for me i fight the vampire theory cause it doesn't stop a real molester but it makes life suck for a kid trying to just heal and be normal
evanessence
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby noprimenumbers » Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:04 pm

From what I understand this is something that is hard to determine. I don't recal the exact refrance used but it was compaired to the likly hood that a person who has a tooth pull will become a dentist or something like that. I like to look at things like this as if you were playing pool. If your only intent is to hit the ball then once hit the ball would go where ever impact would send it. The only thing the abuser is targeting is their own ends without regaurd to outcome. There would be exceptions to this as one who has intent of making... turning... (not sure what words to use) sex slaves... a cult... (again not sure) this would be a [rare thing] though. I would say that as in pool this would be a professional player.
Some do argue that we should try to find out who would be the most likely to become an abuser so we could help them to not become one. I would worry that if you could determine that this or that one will become an abuser it would turn into a lock them away before it happens type thing. And all this would be based on the simple fact that they were abused without reguard for the individual.

It would be safe to say that being abused as a child is one of the more common claimed characteristic (statistics vary greatly) of child molesters but not a prerequisite for becoming one.
All in all I would say that the lowest statistic would be the most likly to be close. 30% but I would also say that a percentage of thoes would be lieing and of the 70% remaining some may be hiding the fact out of shame.

There is one big problem to all of this though. And I put it in question form in my Online Journals
if you are intrested.
Friendship holds more than the advantagious shall ever know.
Scott Dean, Sept, 1994
noprimenumbers
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Postby LazyOCD » Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:46 am

I think if they've had counselling and dealt with it and know it's wrong to do that, that it's highly unlikely.

I think if they haven't talked to anyone, and no one ever knew or family knew but didn't do anything (or worse, made the victim into the criminal by saying something like "you filthy child, you wanted it") then there is probably a very high chance they would molest someone because they would think it's normal behaviour or something.

I think molesters who molest because they are in control and they have power over their victim, are not victims of molestation. I think they are just sick in the head.

If someone molests someone and feels bad about it afterward and never forgives themself, I think they are probably abuse victims themselves or if they were young it was natural exploration and they didn't know right from wrong.

I dunno ... too hard to say.
I know I was molested and I have NEVER molested anyone because I know what it did to me inside (the pain and nightmares and PTSD etc...) and the long term effects it's had on me and I wouldn't do that to anyone else.
LazyOCD
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Local time: Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:22 am

Next

Return to Sexual Abuse and Incest Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post