Our partner

repressed memory of sexual abuse surfacing

Open Discussions About Sexual Abuse and Incest.

Moderators: Terry E., Snaga

Forum rules
You are entering a forum that contains discussions of abuse, some of which are explicit in nature. The topics discussed may be triggering to some people. Please be aware of this before entering this forum. If you are posting about actions of yours which you feel are/were abusive please post about this in The Remorse Forum. If you have been falsely accused of abusing someone please post in the For Those Falsely Accused of Abusing thread.

Please also note that discussions about Incest in this forum are only in relation to abuse. Discussions about Incest in a non-abusive context are not allowed at PsychForums.

Thank you for your cooperation.

The Mod Team

repressed memory of sexual abuse surfacing

Postby Nikky » Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:04 pm

Greetings, I've been in therapy for the last 7 years because of an abusive, narcissistic father. I come from a big, Greek family, and It took me a long time to see that my parents , particularly my father (mom just watched the abuse and did nothing) were abusive, unloving people. Within the last month, thru EMDR, a memory of sexual abuse is starting to emerge. It turns out, that at the age of 7, the memory I have of myself abusing my barbie is not exactly correct. It turns out that the barbie is actually me being abused. The memory is vague but when it emerges, I panic. So much so that the memory goes back into hiding. Does anyone have experience with the emergence of repressed memories? I would love to know more about what you went thru. Right now I go thru body memories where I feel incredibly guilty, ashamed, really terrible - but there is still no narrative. I also have a great deal of anger towards both of my parents. Any thoughts or advice on this front would be greatly appreciated.
Nikky
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:42 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: repressed memory of sexual abuse surfacing

Postby Chant2012 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:35 pm

I will just say that I can relate. I don't have any terrible memories of sexual abuse but I have a lot of body memories and panic and anxiety and depression and lots of other mental health issues. I believe they all stem from my abuse history. I'm wondering if there's stuff that I don't remember. I too have the severe body memories. I also have no narrative. Feel free to message me. You're not alone. You are brave for sharing and reaching out. All the support to you.
Chantel

Dx: (Some unofficial)
*ADHD: age 9
*Major Depressive Disorder: age 19
*C-PTSD: age 21
*Personality Disorder NOS: age 22
*Anorexia Nervosa: age 22
*Fibromyalgia: age 24
*DID/DDNOS: age 24 (waiting on official diagnosis)

MY STORY post1430557.html#p1430557
Chant2012
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:42 am

Re: repressed memory of sexual abuse surfacing

Postby DunesGirl » Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:54 pm

One technique that worked for me was to "write letters to X". And by that I mean literally sit down with pen and paper or computer and write a dialog where it is you and "other". It can be any "other" you want, in this case, your repressed memory. In my case I was surprised at what popped out, seemingly out of nowhere, but it is the unconscious being allowed to "speak" through the exercise of writing.
DunesGirl
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:42 am

Return to Sexual Abuse and Incest Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post