Our partner

the effects of indecent assault

Open Discussions About Sexual Abuse and Incest.

Moderators: Terry E., Snaga

Forum rules
You are entering a forum that contains discussions of abuse, some of which are explicit in nature. The topics discussed may be triggering to some people. Please be aware of this before entering this forum. If you are posting about actions of yours which you feel are/were abusive please post about this in The Remorse Forum. If you have been falsely accused of abusing someone please post in the For Those Falsely Accused of Abusing thread.

Please also note that discussions about Incest in this forum are only in relation to abuse. Discussions about Incest in a non-abusive context are not allowed at PsychForums.

Thank you for your cooperation.

The Mod Team

the effects of indecent assault

Postby Shorty » Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:41 am

Not sure if this comes out right, but what can be the consequences of any kind or the effects for and on a person who has been indecent assaulted and also would it be considered as sexual abuse?
Shorty
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:47 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: the effects of indecent assault

Postby seabreezeblue » Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:46 pm

The effects tend to vary greatly from person to person but as an general kind of thing..

In the short term; people will either act out or act in.. they'll either want pretty much constant reassurance from people and be scared to be on their own.. or they'll close down and retreat for a while.
acting out is by far the healthiest option.. people heal much faster.
Nightmares are common.. a sense of being separate to others and not fitting in.. feeling alone, feeling scared - feeling that part of you is missing.. emotions can be out of control or closed down.

In the longer term;

many people who were abused/assaulted struggle a lot with intimacy and trust in later relationships..
some people completely avoid relationships.. some people avoid emotional intimacy and have a lot of short lived relationships/dating things..
Some people really want to have a relationship and can connect emotionally but sex can be really difficult - I've personally struggled a lot and always thought that sex was just something you had to do to keep the other person around (my body is what i was taught my ''worth'' is/was).
Underneath it all though, i'd seriously love to form a proper relationship with someone - I am however, really difficult to get to know properly.. I get scared when people get close, then close down and pull back - then regret it and kick myself but usually the other person has assumed i'm just not interested by that point..
sigh.. :roll:

I do consider indecent assault as belonging to the sexual abuse category - it makes your body feel like it's public property - like it's no longer yours..you have no choice in saying yes or no.
Shine me a light up
and i'll run round the moon..
seabreezeblue
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:47 am
Blog: View Blog (26)

Postby Shorty » Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:06 pm

Thank you for yoùr reply, thats actually what i was after
Shorty
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Postby seabreezeblue » Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:06 pm

you're welcome..

are you trying to work out how you were affected?
Shine me a light up
seabreezeblue
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Shorty » Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:14 pm

yes i am
Shorty
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Postby seabreezeblue » Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:40 pm

want to talk a bit? maybe write down some of what you're trying to unpick a bit?
I find writing it down can be helpful in sorting through my thoughts and feelings a bit sometimes..

What do you struggle mostly with?
Shine me a light up
seabreezeblue
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Shorty » Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:42 pm

trust, and also getting to know someone (relationship wise) and then i tend to back off .. and also stuff i can't talk about publicly
Shorty
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Postby seabreezeblue » Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:35 am

I have the same issues with trust and relationships (of all kinds)..
How are you with friendships ? do you have a good/close friendship with anyone? - one good friendship can be really helpful in starting to trust others again.
If you'd like to try talking about the other stuff, either here or in pm - please do.. these forums have some really lovely people in them and I've found that most people can relate to the things that i thought i was on my own with.
Shine me a light up
seabreezeblue
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Return to Sexual Abuse and Incest Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post