Our partner

Taking a Molestation Case to the Court

Open Discussions About Sexual Abuse and Incest.

Moderators: Terry E., Snaga

Forum rules
You are entering a forum that contains discussions of abuse, some of which are explicit in nature. The topics discussed may be triggering to some people. Please be aware of this before entering this forum. If you are posting about actions of yours which you feel are/were abusive please post about this in The Remorse Forum. If you have been falsely accused of abusing someone please post in the For Those Falsely Accused of Abusing thread.

Please also note that discussions about Incest in this forum are only in relation to abuse. Discussions about Incest in a non-abusive context are not allowed at PsychForums.

Thank you for your cooperation.

The Mod Team

Taking a Molestation Case to the Court

Postby YI84 » Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:36 pm

I am seriously considering taking my molester to court.
I wanted to know the following:
1. Do I need physical evidence to take the case to trial?
2. Do I need physical evidence for the molester to be proven guilty?
There was no penetration in my situation. The seventeen year old ex-relative lay on top of me (while I was seven years old), with both his and my underwear off, but did not penetrate me. So I do not have physical proof.
I told my Mom about it immediately after it happened, and she told my Dad. So I have their words to back me up (although they did not witness it).
I have also discussed it with my psychologist whom I see. She can maybe give her word that she has evaluated that I am telling the truth.
I think that I may have evidence to prove that the molester has performed perverted acts in the past. The ones that I and others know of are peeping into bathrooms. So I can maybe bring in those people he peeped in on to testify.
The molester has also been spoiled and violent. He has beaten up people, such as adults in the family (although I do not know whether those assaults were illegal). So I can prove that he was badly behaved.
YI84
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:41 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Taking a Molestation Case to the Court

Postby bweb » Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:14 am

You do not need physical evidence to take it to court. However, be advised that your ability to do so will vary based on local laws.

For example, in Iowa, where my wife was molested, the law states that she had ten years from the day she turned 18 to file a criminal complaint with the court, and that date had long passed. If she had been abused here in Texas, there is no statute of limitations, according to RAINN.

So the questions would be, how old are you now, and what are your laws in the state pertaining to it. Also, because your abuser was a minor as well at the time of the incident, the juvenile courts may have jurisdiction, as well.

Also, making it difficult, is that your parents can testify what you told them, but since they did not see anything, it might fall under hearsay law, meaning if they didn't see or hear from the "ex-relative" themselves, their testimony might not be admissible. Again, all depends on local laws.

Wish there was more I could tell you, but the laws vary too widely to give definitive answers.
bweb
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Local time: Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:41 pm

Re: Taking a Molestation Case to the Court

Postby bweb » Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:10 pm

Have you made any headway in researching your local laws? There might be some online resources to look up.
bweb
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Local time: Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:41 pm

Return to Sexual Abuse and Incest Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post