Our partner

Needing some advice

Open Discussions About Sexual Abuse and Incest.

Moderators: Terry E., Snaga

Forum rules
You are entering a forum that contains discussions of abuse, some of which are explicit in nature. The topics discussed may be triggering to some people. Please be aware of this before entering this forum. If you are posting about actions of yours which you feel are/were abusive please post about this in The Remorse Forum. If you have been falsely accused of abusing someone please post in the For Those Falsely Accused of Abusing thread.

Please also note that discussions about Incest in this forum are only in relation to abuse. Discussions about Incest in a non-abusive context are not allowed at PsychForums.

Thank you for your cooperation.

The Mod Team

Needing some advice

Postby ajcortez » Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:39 am

I don't know where to post this but here it goes. In a few weeks I have a gyno appointment and am really nervous about going. I haven't been in two years since I was 21 years old. The last time I went I barely made it through the appointment. I have been very nervous and almost cry every time I think about going. I don't want the dr to ask why I haven't been in the last two years. I haven't told anybody about the abuse and I'm not ready to tell anyone either. Has anyone else been in this situation? I need some advice on how to handle this.
ajcortez
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:34 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Needing some advice

Postby avatar123 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:47 pm

Just a suggestion, but your experience of this procedure might be quite different if you talk to the doctor beforehand and explain that you have a sensitivity to it. You don't have to go into any detail as to why, you can just explain that it's difficult for you. They will understand, as you are not the only person with this sensitivity. Many others have it too, for various reasons. So it wouldn't be out of the ordinary for you to voice your concerns.

When you talk to the doctor, you can explain how you've reacted in past procedures, so they are aware. That will allow them to adapt their methods. Also you can discuss in advance what will happen if you react like that again. The doctor may have suggestions as they've probably encountered this reaction before. Also your anxiety will be lessened if you know what's going to happen, and that nothing will be forced to happen that you don't want to happen. It helps to view it as a partnership between you & the doctor rather than as something that's being done to you, outside of your control.

Main thing is not to feel that that there's something wrong with you because you have this sensitivity, or that you can't talk about it with your doctor. People sometimes forget that doctors are people too, they want to help you and not cause you discomfort. They are very knowledgeable but they are not psychic. You help them by providing feedback and explaining your concerns as well as you can.

Anyway, I hope that helps.
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:34 pm

Postby Team78 » Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:19 pm

It can be very hard to discuss any type of abuse with gyno or dentist. If your comfortable a good gyno or dentist will understanding because it isn't the first time they heard it from their patients. They should be sensitive to your anxieties during the procedure.
Dx: DID, PTSD, Panic Disorder

We are system of several.....Blog of system map
Team78
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:34 pm

Postby Una+ » Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:38 pm

There is absolutely no need to discuss any abuse. You don't even need to mention there has been abuse. Call ahead and tell them you are very anxious. Ask what they can do to help. This is a very common issue and they have lots of things they can do to help. They may even suggest on the phone some things you can do, or they can do, to help and you can decide in advance which ones you like.
Dx DID older woman married w kids. 0 Una, host + 3, 1, 5. 1 animal. 2 older man. 3 teen girl. 4 girl behind amnesia wall. 5 girl in love. Our thread.
Una+
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:34 am

Return to Sexual Abuse and Incest Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post