Our partner

C.B.T. and Self Esteem

Open Discussions about Self Esteem and Related Issues

C.B.T. and Self Esteem

Postby invayne » Sun Apr 24, 2005 5:30 pm

I've been in therapy for around 6 months now and it seems to have helped with my panic disorder, and a little with my depression and self injury, but my self esteem is still at an extreme low.

My therapist always says stuff like "You have to find ways to counter negative thoughts towards yourself. For example, your not a screw-up...you just do things your own way."

My problem is that I never believe her. It sounds so phony, and its not working. How do I change my state of mind so that I can begin to help my self esteem?
-Heather
invayne
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:07 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: C.B.T. and Self Esteem

Postby SilverRain » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:49 pm

Hi! I know this is an old topic, but I saw this, and wanted to make a few suggestions.

I know this is going to sound like odd advice, but have you tried volunteering? I have found that when you are helping others (like in a nursing home, or an animal shelter, or even helping Next-Door-Neighbor) with something, you feel good and like "Wow, I just made someone's day".

Plant a garden. There is something rewarding about putting little seeds in dirt and helping them to grow into a strong plant. Also, the sunshine and fresh air can be rather soothing.

Find something you like to do and share it with others. If (for example) you like painting, offer to paint a friend's wall, or paint a mural on their baby room.

Keep your chin up, remember that you are not alone! :)
SilverRain
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Local time: Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:07 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to Self Esteem

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post