Our partner

Short recipy to cope with stress/anxiety.

Open Discussions about Self Esteem and Related Issues

Short recipy to cope with stress/anxiety.

Postby somebody » Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:06 am

I promissed to talk about how to cope with stress/anxiety. It is a long topic, but here are the most powerful ways (there are loads I will talk about later):

1. Have Control in your life.

2. Exercise or do other things that you consider good for yourself (e.g. healthy nutrition).

3. Give yourself reinforcements (e.g. little presents when you accomplish something). In psychology, this is operant conditioning basically.

4. Be assertive (i.e. protect your rights, while you you respect other's people's rights).

All these strengthen your self esteem and make your life a pleasure to live in. They protect from stress/anxiety and mood disorders (it is good at this point to point that mood directly relates to stress, if an emotion, that arises from an arousal, keeps lingering then it transforms to stress).

These work therapeutically (e.g. operant conditioning is behaviour modification, i.e. it is of part of cognitive behaviour therapy), but there are other theraupetic ways I will post information about later on.
somebody
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:48 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Short recipy to cope with stress/anxiety.

Postby Ravine » Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:05 am

My opinions to make this topic very much easier who are having difficulties in understanding this topic.

1. Well balanced life
2. Personal leadership
3. Praise yourself. or give important to yourselves.

TO somebody. i am not commenting on our post that you had written something wrong, just was making easy for publice and was also helping in your good intention.
Ravine
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby lizagill » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:00 am

Thanks for sharing this, this forum is very helpful. Keep coming up with such post in future also.
*Edited by admin - Chucky
Reason: spam
lizagill
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:48 pm

Postby Vandel » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:02 am

1. Have Control in your life.

Easier said than done... :D Control would dictate you understand the things than can be controlled. What is control? I find more often than not with a partial dependency disorder that control leads to conflict, more importantly something I am fearful of or wholly ready to give up because I am overly passive in person, despite my words sometimes appear harsh and my dispositions being awkward, and my voice patterns and otherwise being intimidating. I don't have much going for me socially. I would agree more with the "keep balance". This is a reflective and reassessment method. Maintaining balance can still be applied even when you're out of control of your life. Without balance, at the points in time when we are not in control it helps us better deal with the stress and anxiety this may be causing. Is this internal or external?

4. Be assertive (i.e. protect your rights, while you you respect other's people's rights).

Assertion no matter how constructive when applied in the wrong places will only make things worse. Even if you're fighting for your civil rights, civil dignities, and sometimes even for your own life. People who want to dominate will dominate, and any sign of assertion against that person, especially if they are a psychopath or sociopath will only use that assertion against you. And people who want to take away your right to be assertive will often do so no matter how assertive you try to be while respecting the rights of other people. Conflict no matter the degree is never the answer. If you need to assert, you're likely already in a bad position where the person you're asserting against doesn't care anyways what you have to say. Walk away. Unless your life is in danger, or the life of another human being is in danger and there is no other choice. Even then, you'll find out as I have so many times, it will only end up badly. Developing discernment and crisis management for problem solving constructively might be a better suggestion. I am serious when I say because of social awkwardness, my social attempts at assertion have gone horribly horribly wrong.

All these strengthen your self esteem and make your life a pleasure to live in.

That sounds unrealistic. Sorry to be a pessimist, but I comprehend far too much to the contrary. It may make it easier for you to cope with what is happening. But again, this is an illogical assumption. I can agree that they may help you achieve a more pleasurable existence, and no denying that self-esteem is critically important to feeling pleasure in life and beating depression. But it's certainly not going to guarantee you're going to get along any better in your environment. No methods of studies show that CBT therapy raises the rate of something like unenployment in people who are suffering servere or chronic nerological or psychological ailments. I'm not saying employment is the key to happiness either. But that shouldn't be used as a catch all. They used to say similar things about a lot of psychotropic medications that destroyed peoples lives. What works for one, won't work for us all. Other people are still other people. And no matter how good your self-esteem is, or how swell your coping mechanisms seem to be, there are people who will actively try to defeat you of that.
I will always be differnt, I will always struggle, that is my reality. I do not delude myself, I understand my limitations, and in that I will succeed to the best of my ability within the contexts and constraints of what I am capable. So yes, it may make you're self-esteem better, but will not be a guarantee of a pleasureable life. There's the old saying, "A life of meaning, or a life of happiness. You cannot live both." I live a life of meaning, and any efforts outside that meaning to achieve happiness results in utter disaster. I am ruled by delays and disempowerment, and have accepted that as my lot. God grant me the wisdom to change the things I can, and accept the things I can't. Acceptance no matter how much it's understood is also no walk in the park to happiness. I also can't just give back my understanding. This makes me jealous and envious sometimes of those who are not constantly wrestling with their understanding and intellect who have no exposure to understanding. It's often a war inside my head, right now, it's one I'm losing.

They protect from stress/anxiety and mood disorders

Again this seems unrealistic. They may lessen the effects of, but in many individuals who are suffering mental illness, or a neurological disorder protection would signify again a certain guarantee. It would be more reasonable to state it reduces the effects of, or reduces a predisposition to, or aids in the coping with stress/anxiety and mood disorders upon their presentation. I have severe predispositions. There is nothing permanent about these methods in the relief of my afflictions, and often despite my best intentions at applying these methods I find I still struggle with drastic counter side-effects. I understand your effort at motivation, don't think that I am attempting to condecend that effort as we all need hope.

(it is good at this point to point that mood directly relates to stress, if an emotion, that arises from an arousal, keeps lingering then it transforms to stress).

Any method used to control unwanted emotional responses is beneficial. Hence no misunderstandings there, and blatant support for 2 and 3 for exercise and diet, and positive reinforcement to self, along with meditation, and other expressive outlets such as painting, poetry, and muscial inclinations, etc...

These work therapeutically (e.g. operant conditioning is behaviour modification, i.e. it is of part of cognitive behaviour therapy), but there are other theraupetic ways I will post information about later on.

Operant conditioning is the use of consequences to modify the occurrence and form of behaviour. I do not think that you are applying this correctly. Shock therapy, positive punishment, deprivation... these are operant modifiers. I find nothing positive about them and to be consistently destructive and abusive. You might as well say labotamy. That was supposed to also guarantee the suffering person a life free of torment. I believe you're looking to use positive reinforcement methods. Operant conditioning is used when positive reinforcement fails, at least I would hope as a last resort. But I still find that far too often failure is reached through unfair disadvantage to the participant.

I don't find the references to where operant conditioning is part of CBT, though I do find it interesting that most of CBT focuses on chronic and severe psychiatric disorders, such as psychotic behaviours and even so far as grouping that with autism. Since when was Autism or any of it's PDD spectrums considered psychological? I was under the understanding that Asperger's and Autism were neurological. Which is distinct from psychological. I already am not sure I like this. And since the more reading I've been doing towards CBT it fails to show any advantage over any other method and is neutrally ineffective at dealing with Schizophrenia? And CBT can actually hinder other sets of more adequate therapeutic models.

That's a large grouping of mixed terms with very broad scopes. I'd tend to give this a little more attention when posting but I seem to be more confused than when I started. Though your intentions I believe were pure. My apologies for appearing standoffish, but I'm curious and seeking understanding, this is more inquistive than not. I most often do not come across an awful lot of the time in the right way. PLEASE PLEASE do not take this harshly. Thank you for your efforts. I'm often stuck in my literal senses and the unravelling confusions of my logical mind. I have a lot of questions.
just me... trying to be... something more than I was yesterday. be well everyone.
Vandel
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:48 pm

Postby YasminTiaraMacDonald » Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:33 pm

Really its very helpful forum
YasminTiaraMacDonald
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby marcellomj » Mon May 28, 2012 6:48 am

Very true that the best way to cope with stress is to avoid stress triggers in the first place and I believe that the simple advice given in this post are simple and to the point.
marcellomj
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby white24 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:41 pm

To 'Somebody':

I know that it's true what you say,

..but what if you know that you fail massively at these four points?

-if you've got so little money that it's no longer possible to nourish yourself as you would like to?
-if excercise is disappointing because the body has become a very unpleasant place to be in?
-if you have no idea of what your rights are and know that you're not able to defend yourself physically,verbally or mentally, although you're being challenged every day ?
-if your life is unfulfilling and useless, yet you have really no idea of what to do and just sit around all day?
-if you have no control in or over your life,
-and there is nothing to give yourself reinforcements over?

And therefore also have to live with the shame and constant confrontation that others DO manage to cope, using these points naturally?

I mean it. What if the situation is as described above?
Please answer.
Thank you.
white24
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby SteveTurtle » Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:49 pm

To cope with stress and anxiety you have to do following things like good diet, proper exercise and work schedule as well as spend time with family.
SteveTurtle
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby DHill87 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:56 pm

Nice list. Brief and to the point. I would recommend each and every number.
DHill87
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:48 pm

Return to Self Esteem

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post