Our partner

STPD - clues from SSRIs, other Meds, and Nicotine?

Schizotypal Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

STPD - clues from SSRIs, other Meds, and Nicotine?

Postby cforbin » Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:16 pm

Hi. I am on the STPD / Apsergers / INTP spectrum and am trying to sort things out.

I am wondering if a diagnosis can be made not just based on symptoms and affect, but also on reactions certain medications and drugs.

For example, I have hypomanic states that are exacerbated by SSRI's, which I have heard can point to a bipolar component. When I was on Zoloft, I went off the rails and am finally getting back to baseline after a long while.

Lamictal helps with social engagement and motivation, but also puts me in a hypomanic state and I can't sleep and feel jittery.

I have tried SSRI's and Lamictal both together and separately along with Zyprexa to stabilize the mood but then I feel sluggish, lack motivation, and can't focus on my work, which leads to depression and lack of fulfillment.

I am also wondering about Nicotine because I hear that it can be helpful for those on the schizophrenic spectrum. I am spacey and disconnected, but if I use Nicotine I feel social, can do my work, and the fog is much reduced.

I also wonder about the spaciness and if it is more of a depersonalization / derealization thing rather than schizotypy. Is there anything in particular that can help sort these out? I do have a lot of schizotypal symptoms that are separate from DP/DR so maybe that's the answer or maybe it is both.

It has all gotten 50% better with therapy, but I am ready to reassess since I am back at baseline but still have things to sort out either with medication or the way my life is organized or both. I don't want to make big life changes until I figure out if I am stuck this way or can break through to new ground.

Any thoughts or ideas for further exploration are much appreciated.

Thank you.
cforbin
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:23 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: STPD - clues from SSRIs, other Meds, and Nicotine?

Postby reinadear » Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:43 pm

what do you mean by "STPD / Apsergers / INTP spectrum"
reinadear
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:23 am

Postby iabsurdlyexist » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:39 pm

reinadear wrote:what do you mean by "STPD / Apsergers / INTP spectrum"

Basically, an introverted thinker, possibly going through a rough patch, with a lot of introspection. Something may be wrong, doesn't know what it is exactly and Ne is going crazy trying to place it so it can be reconciled in Ti.

Could be something else entirely but I am bored.
Dx: SPD/AvPD/BP2
iabsurdlyexist
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:23 am

Postby TameQueen » Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:21 am

I've heard from someone with STPD that their doctor told them that they had the disorder due to Wellbutrin being positively received by the patient after many SSRI trials.
DX: Nihilist
TameQueen
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Oddy » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:17 pm

StPD is pretty much diagnosed on symptomology alone. There have been some MRIs done that show certain patterns among individuals with StPD. If you happen to have had an MRI for some other reason and a knowlegable psychiatrist was able to discern these patterns, that might give additional weight to a diagnosis, but diagnosis would still be based primarily on symptoms. Med trials being used for diagnosis is a pretty shaky thing. Again, it might give a small amount of weight to a suspected diagnosis but... people within the same disorder can respond so differently to medications. I'm not even sure what would theoretically be used for this. Maybe if something causes psychosis but that seems kinda dangerous to poke around for.
Psychiatry is overall symptom-based.

By the way, DP/DR is a common feature seen in StPD. It's not diagnostic, but it's also not unusual, from my understanding.

Obviously, take everything I say here with a grain of salt :P I be no expert
Oddy
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Return to Schizotypal Personality Disorder

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post