Our partner

How long do antipsychotics remain in the system...

Schizophrenia message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: Jasper

How long do antipsychotics remain in the system...

Postby Guest » Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:05 am

I'm curious about how long anti-psychotics stay in the body. I think that the thinking around it is that if you taper off your meds then they'll be out of the system in no time. I've posted about this before and I'll mention it again as soon as I go off my meds I get this intense feeling inside my brain. Before taking any meds I never experienced this. I'm having a hard time distinguishing whether this is an evolution of my illness or a withdrawl side effect from the meds.

I was watching the sports channel this morning and one of the reports was about the hockey player Bryan Berard being caught for anabolic steroids. He took the steroid last May. The drug-test wasn't conducted till November 12. Amazingly the steroid was still found in his system 6 months later.

This lead me to the question if someone takes a steroid once and it's still found in the body 6 months later, then how about anti-psychotics? How long do anti-psychotics really stay in the body after coming off them?

ADVERTISEMENT

Postby Isme » Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:19 pm

I know Zyprexa has a half life of 36 hours, if that's any help. :? It takes a couple of weeks after I stop taking it for things to start to deteriorate. I wouldn't like to hazard a guess at how long traces of these things lie around our systems though.
Isme
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:36 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Hallowicious » Sat Feb 11, 2006 5:11 am

I'm guessing that the feeling in your brain is a withdrawl symptom caused by the meds considering it wasn't there before you started taking meds.

If this happens again I would consult a family doctor.

I'm not sure how long it takes for the meds to leave your system completely.

Good luck going off of meds. Tapering off is how I did it when I first went off of meds and it worked well for me.

Also, I've been taking fish oil tablets 3 times a day and they seem to help with my symptoms especially voices, so you may want to try it out. They're cheap and can be found at most grocery stores.
Hallowicious

Postby moramind » Sat Feb 11, 2006 7:25 am

well, i figure it's no more than a year, or even 30 days possibly, i know they will quit affect, at least in my experiance, it's taken no more than about a weeks time for the effects of them to go away, i've been on abilify and respirdal, anywho, it'll stop taking affect soon, but take caution before quitting any med, talk to your doc to find out if it's ok to quit cold turkey, it may not be and can cause some wierd things to happen, nothing i suppose, permanet, but like getting off a hard drug like coccaine, in other words, well, i think you get it, anywho, good luck hun
somtimes, it's like i want to touch these lights, and give into them become them, just a flash for a moment~in this world
moramind
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:36 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to Schizophrenia Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post