Our partner

Hygiene

Schizophrenia message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: Jasper

Hygiene

Postby Davidsmom » Mon Dec 12, 2005 7:01 pm

Can someone please tell me why some Schizophrenics do not have an interest in their hygiene. My son, diagnosed 14 years ago) has had such a problem with this. He says he bathes, but I can see he's dirty all over. this is very hard to be around. He was homeless for about 2 years, now living in apartment. I can't go in there because it grosses me out--and I'm his mother. Can anyone tell me what's going on? thanks.
Davidsmom

ADVERTISEMENT

Postby Guest » Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:31 pm

Why do some people not labeled schizophrenic neglect their hygiene?

Stop pathologising your son's behavior!

Postby cableart » Tue Dec 13, 2005 7:10 am

does he understand his illness? i've got a problem sometimes too (tho not as bad).. i was always worse than my roomates when it came to doing laundry, and being an artist all my clothes are stained.. usually my hands and face too.. i dont like wearing shoes even tho my feet become horrible... well, after i realized i was having problems i've done a lot better (now that im home again i wear shoes and am better bout not weraing dirty laundry)....

like anything else its hard to break old habits. in my case i read they were symptoms, but keeping clean and organized is also an important part of feeling good (from someone who ISNT clean or organized)...

if u havnt already u might try going over, telling him to get in the shower and cleaning up his apt for him - then let him see the difference. he will appreciate it regardless of what he says - beyond that, he's living on his own so even pestering him to keep clean isnt going to do much (so easy to ignore parents' pestering..)

IMHO part of bad hygiene is not having respect for yourself. i dont hav ANY for myself, and i dont think i ever will - in my worst states when i cared the least and would sleep on my hard floor almost as punishment. maybe if u come at him from that perspective ("hav some respect for yourself") it might wake him up. its also easy to neglect cleanliness when u live alone/dont socialized, as many schiz's are apt to do

-matt
cableart
Consumer 4
Consumer 4

Local time: Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:55 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Guest » Tue Dec 13, 2005 10:15 am

If he's on medication there's your answer. Antipsychotics work by disabling the higher functioning of the brain. With the higher functioning disabled he's probably overlooking some things, the poor bugger.

Having said that I know heaps of grots that live in incredible filth that have no diagnosis of SZ or any mental illness.

I've seen a few psychiatrist’s that were filthy unhygienic slobs; they were wearing a week’s worth of meals on the clothes.

Postby madison » Sun Dec 18, 2005 6:35 pm

I have read that there is a symptom of schizophrenia called "deterioration of function", and that one of the major areas of dysfunction is self-care.
madison

Return to Schizophrenia Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post