Our partner

Hygiene

Schizophrenia message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: Tyler

Hygiene

Postby Davidsmom » Mon Dec 12, 2005 7:01 pm

Can someone please tell me why some Schizophrenics do not have an interest in their hygiene. My son, diagnosed 14 years ago) has had such a problem with this. He says he bathes, but I can see he's dirty all over. this is very hard to be around. He was homeless for about 2 years, now living in apartment. I can't go in there because it grosses me out--and I'm his mother. Can anyone tell me what's going on? thanks.
Davidsmom

ADVERTISEMENT

Postby Guest » Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:31 pm

Why do some people not labeled schizophrenic neglect their hygiene?

Stop pathologising your son's behavior!

Postby cableart » Tue Dec 13, 2005 7:10 am

does he understand his illness? i've got a problem sometimes too (tho not as bad).. i was always worse than my roomates when it came to doing laundry, and being an artist all my clothes are stained.. usually my hands and face too.. i dont like wearing shoes even tho my feet become horrible... well, after i realized i was having problems i've done a lot better (now that im home again i wear shoes and am better bout not weraing dirty laundry)....

like anything else its hard to break old habits. in my case i read they were symptoms, but keeping clean and organized is also an important part of feeling good (from someone who ISNT clean or organized)...

if u havnt already u might try going over, telling him to get in the shower and cleaning up his apt for him - then let him see the difference. he will appreciate it regardless of what he says - beyond that, he's living on his own so even pestering him to keep clean isnt going to do much (so easy to ignore parents' pestering..)

IMHO part of bad hygiene is not having respect for yourself. i dont hav ANY for myself, and i dont think i ever will - in my worst states when i cared the least and would sleep on my hard floor almost as punishment. maybe if u come at him from that perspective ("hav some respect for yourself") it might wake him up. its also easy to neglect cleanliness when u live alone/dont socialized, as many schiz's are apt to do

-matt
cableart
Consumer 4
Consumer 4

Local time: Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:45 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Guest » Tue Dec 13, 2005 10:15 am

If he's on medication there's your answer. Antipsychotics work by disabling the higher functioning of the brain. With the higher functioning disabled he's probably overlooking some things, the poor bugger.

Having said that I know heaps of grots that live in incredible filth that have no diagnosis of SZ or any mental illness.

I've seen a few psychiatrist’s that were filthy unhygienic slobs; they were wearing a week’s worth of meals on the clothes.

Postby madison » Sun Dec 18, 2005 6:35 pm

I have read that there is a symptom of schizophrenia called "deterioration of function", and that one of the major areas of dysfunction is self-care.
madison

Re: Hygiene

Postby fairie » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:04 pm

I have schizophrenia
I am 24 and the last 10 years took baths almost daily. Washing myself with soap and being very engrossed in the act of bathing. Now I am quite of a quiter because skin started to be very thin and fear is building that I might lose this organ. That's my excusr for not showering.
fairie
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:45 pm

Postby eterea107 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:47 am

Davidsmom wrote:Can someone please tell me wh"y some Schizophrenics do not have an interest in their hygiene. My son, diagnosed 14 years ago) has had such a problem with this. He says he bathes, but I can see he's dirty all over. this is very hard to be around. He was homeless for about 2 years, now living in apartment. I can't go in there because it grosses me out--and I'm his mother. Can anyone tell me what's going on? thanks.

I actually have bipolar disorder with psychosis...so not schizophrenia, but I wanted to add this is common for those of us with severe mental illness, namely, mood disorders. (Schizophrenia, Bipolar Disorder, Schizoaffective disorder, and including Major Depressive Disorder--so depressed you can't be bothered to brush your teeth.

I don't forget, but I'm disabled now...showers were absolutely needed when I was a practicing lawyer...now I'm at home and skip it or just don't have the energy, sometimes. Or don't feel well enough, feel paranoia. Tons of factors. Mood disorders are serious illnesses- the things regular people take as commonplace can be insurmountable for me, sometimes. Hope that helps.
Love yet violence, is yet love. I love you.
eterea107
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:45 am

Postby Brumble » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:20 pm

I'm trying to take care of my self more lately, and it's hard. I take a shower two days after my first shower cause I don't want to stink and any more I'd be stressed out so bad I might be yelling. Brushing my teeth is also very hard to do, it looks like such an easy task but to me it's like this huge thing to do when I don't feel like doing any thing. Also I only wash my hair with soap when I shower, and even that takes me a half hour. I have schizophrenia, that and the medication I take really messes with my hygiene.
I Yam What I Yam, I also have schizophrenia.
Brumble
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:45 am
Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby Winteriscoming » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:55 am

For me it isn't that I don't want to wash it's that I find even small tasks like this intensely hard.
Winteriscoming
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby fragments0434 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:22 am

I usually forget or just don't think about hygiene. My girlfriend always reminds me/pushes me to brush my teeth and also asks me all the time "when did you last shower?" I don't know why this is, before i had schizophrenia I was totally fine at showering and brushing my teeth. But now I just forget, like i have bigger things on my mind. Also sometimes I'm too tired. I'm tired a lot of the time. I'll wear the same shirt for like at least three days because to me it doesn't seem dirty or I just forget to change.

My therapist made me To-Do Lists that have normal hygiene stuff on them and when I have them out and do them, it makes a ton of difference! There is something about checking a box that is so satisfying! So your son could try a To-Do List.
fragments0434
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Next

Return to Schizophrenia Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post