Our partner

Is talking to yourself a precursor?

Schizophrenia message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: Jasper

Is talking to yourself a precursor?

Postby grandor » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:25 pm

Let me first start out this post by saying, I'm new here and I think this is a great place. I like all the many sections where people can vent their frustrations, concerns, and ramble about whatever they want. :)

For periods of time, I've been wondering if my actions are any indication that I might have a mental illness or schizophrenia, specifically.

Let me go on to say that my brother is a schizophrenic. He began to have delusions of other people talking about him, to the extent that he dropped out of high school 3 months before graduation. He would be in constant fear that people were talking poorly about his hygiene and he would take 3 or more showers a day, as a result of this.

When he was finally diagnosed in his 20's, after much yelling and fighting to try to get him to see a psychiatrist, I read a little booklet that the doctor gave him so that I could better understand his illness. One of the facts that I got from it was incredibly disheartening. It said if you have a sibling who has the condition, you have a 10% chance of developing it yourself. This percentage also increases if you have parents who have the condition or relatives. I also have a aunt, my fathers sister, who has the condition. This already has me worried that I might develop this illness because it also said that it seems to affect males earlier on in life and I'm turning 21 this September.

Now, let me get to the point, as a child I would talk to the TV. I would comment on how stupid a show was or basically narrate things for the show out loud.

From early teenage years 13 or so till about now, I've been talking to myself out loud. I also have arguments with myself sometimes. Sometimes I get really angry at how someone else is acting and seeing no way to release it, I talk to myself to release the anger. Sometimes I talk to myself to plan things.

I see it like this, I'll be thinking of something in my head like "hey, I got lunch today at work I wonder if I should make me a sandwich or buy something?" than answer out loud like "dude don't buy any more food, you can't afford to be wasting money"

Other examples are like, when I'm frustrated with someone and I say out loud "F this person" then immediately afterwards I say out loud "Don't say that, you care about XYZ"

Another example, I can think of is when I'm organizing stuff. Sometimes I'll just say out loud "I need to go to the bank today" or "I wish this guy in front of me would drive faster."

I really don't know what this all indicates. I've been able to talk to people more, and have been able to hang out with people or talk to them on the phone about anything that's bothering me so it's not like I don't get to vent my frustrations to real people instead of making people up. I don't know why I talk to myself. I catch myself doing it and immediately force any thoughts back into my head, especially in public. People can be so cruel to label things that they don't understand and immediately label me as crazy, which is a hurtful word. There are, however, times where I don't realize I'm talking to myself. I'm so caught up in the moment of doing it that I don't realize it. It tends to be when I'm alone or I think I'm alone. I usually realize when I'm talking to myself when there's someone with me or nearby.

I don't know what this all means. Could this all mean I could be developing schizophrenia? Is this all normal? It doesn't bother me as much when I talk out loud because it helps me organize ideas but when I have conversations with myself or refer to myself in third person "he (me) wouldn't like that" it has me wondering, what's wrong with me?

I want to take the right precautions because if this really is a mental illness than it would be wise to diagnose this early when there are more readily available treatments before it gets worse.

The worst thing I would fear if I were to develop this condition would be me losing my independence. I don't want other people to have to take care of me. I want to be able to do things for myself like any other grown adult would. I fear this even more so because my brother turned 37 this February and he's still living at home with my mom. My mom is still the one who washes his clothes, pays all the bills, and makes sure he takes his medication every night. He also asks her opinion about everything, such as what clothes he should wear for the day or where he should go on his days off from work. I don't want to become like that! I want to have the independence to make every decision for myself instead of seeing myself as a burden to family/friends.

I also don't want to lose my ability to communicate. The disorganized thinking associated with some types of schizophrenia makes it very hard for some people to understand you. I don't want to lose my ability to communicate, as first impressions mean everything. Looking it at it from an employment perspective, I could be a genius but if I'm not able to communicate my knowledge to the prospective employer because I can't organize my thoughts due to a mental illness, that impression would be cemented. The employer would think I don't have any communication skills and deny me the job, no matter how qualified I might have been.

Gah. I'm probably rambling at this point but having read this post, what do you guys think? Is there a possibility? Do you think I'm developing symptoms of schizophrenia or any other mental illness or am I thinking too much about this and letting my brothers condition affect my way of thinking and causing me to fear my behaviors?
grandor
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:29 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Is talking to yourself a precursor?

Postby Noidea_ » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:11 pm

I wouldn't worry about it at all, if that's your only symptom. Lots of "normal" people talk to themselves as a means of maintaining their focus/clearing their thoughts, just like you seem to do.

Your fear is understandable seeing that you have a brother with the illness, but really, don't worry. Though if it's been bothering you for a long time and is making you anxious, perhaps it would be a good idea to see a psychiatrist just to put your fears to rest.
Noidea_
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:29 pm

Postby w4rp3dh4l0 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:37 pm

I agree. I doubt you have it. There's not enough symptoms you've listed to conclude schizophrenia. Maybe some anxiety problems, but nothing too serious. Relax.
MOUTH, Kayte JoanellePerfect Joan **Will update as more pick colors.**
w4rp3dh4l0
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:29 pm

Postby grandor » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:17 am

Yes! I've been told I've been thinking too much about the subject and that I'm probably overreacting. It does cause me anxiety but reading the responses you guys have made has reassured me that I'm probably more worried about this than I should be.

I guess I fear it a lot more than I probably should because my brother has this illness and he also talks to himself out loud, to the point where he doesn't realize anyone else is in the room when he talks to himself. I've also seen him conversations with himself and do it out in public. Most people would be afraid to do that for fear of being labeled, so my assumption is that he doesn't realize he's doing it. So, I guess that's what's made me fear that I might be developing some of his behavior and also his illness.

Thanks for the responses!
grandor
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby neptune » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:14 pm

I do this pretty much exactly the same as yourself grandor. I also think about things that are on my mind, like I think i'm doing a video log for a camera explaining how I feel about things or having a conversation with an imaginary person. laugh to myself about things, make up conversations and generally act crazy or silly saying weird jokes when no one else is around. been doing it ever since I can remember. I used to do it as a child. I have a level in which I tone things down in respect to how close I am to other people or the chance of other people witnessing it. sometimes I wisper the words i'm thinking and sometimes if i'm in public I will think all the same stuff but do no hand gestures and keep my mouth closed, so my mouth muscles sometimes twitch slightly as I am thinking about talking.
neptune
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:29 pm

Postby grandor » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:09 am

Exactly Neptune! I notice I do it so much sometimes that it's hard to keep my inner thoughts to myself even when in public and I do exactly what you said. It becomes hard to keep it to yourself. Thanks for the replies guys.
grandor
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby Jaspar » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:55 pm

No. Or, not necessarily. Many people talk about what they see on TV, yelling at the people, narrating. Just look at how many yell at football players as if that is going to change the outcome! But they do it with scary shows, drama shows, mysteries, and other types. "Look out behind you!" Ha ha! One friend (no mental illness) even says, "Well if so-and-so had listened to me, that wouldn't have happened!" Of course, joking. I don't mind the talking and narrating but it really bothers some people and they don't want to watch TV with people who do that. But the people who do that are enjoying the shows their way. Noisily.
Jaspar
Consumer 4
Consumer 4

Local time: Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:29 pm

Postby neptune » Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:50 pm

grandor wrote:Exactly Neptune! I notice I do it so much sometimes that it's hard to keep my inner thoughts to myself even when in public and I do exactly what you said. It becomes hard to keep it to yourself. Thanks for the replies guys.

i've been talking to my psychiatrists about this and they said that they don't consider it specifically a precursor ,they said the way we do it is perfectly normal funnily enough.
neptune
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:29 pm

Return to Schizophrenia Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post