Our partner

Why should I be forced to take medications?

Schizophrenia message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: Snaga

Why should I be forced to take medications?

Postby GodIsMyStrength » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:31 pm

I had a recent episode where I believed I was going to hell and struggled with suicidal thoughts. However, I'm not really convinced that antipsychotic medications are really necessary. In my episodes I never have hallucinations or hearing of voices except in only my first episode. I have had paranoid thoughts thinking that people were plotting against me in my other episodes.
In my more recent episodes, usually what happens is I start thinking that God is against me and wants to send me to hell. I usually start questioning whether Christianity is real and wondering if I'm really a saved Christian. I have to miss work when this happens. In a couple of instances getting no sleep the night before helped lead to this problem. My argument against medication is that my "episodes" involve religious questions, doubting God, and thinking that God is against me. I think these are spiritual issues and therefore are issues of faith and not mental illness. Therefore I don't want to be kept on medications
GodIsMyStrength
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:58 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Why should I be forced to take medications?

Postby Chucky » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:52 pm

I neither do know if such medication would help you. If you have issues with paranoia, they could be tackled in other ways than medication. For exactly, therapy could help you a bit, if you are willing to take it. In response to the other things that you mentioned: Christianity does exist, but only in the minds of thos who believe in it - i.e. it's a concept and isn't realy in a physiacl sense. You are not obliged to follow it's principles and are free to live your life in whatever way you please. However, Christianity - and indeed other religions - have important advice about how to live life and treat others, so they have some good.

TAke care
Kevin
psychforums.com rules:
http://www.psychforums.com/forum-rules.php

Please send me a private message if you need help with anything.
Chucky
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby MirageXD » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:18 pm

The problem is that, during a psychotic episode, you are unable to distinguish between your beliefs and delusions. Of course, they seem the same to you, but, to a healthy person, they seem like symptoms of an illness.

Most schizophrenics say that they don't need any medications, and that they are just fine. However, they cannot be further from the truth. You should trust your doctors, because they might be able to help you.

In the end, if you don't allow other people to help you, you might end up in the hell of your psychosis.

Hope you'll get better,
Mirage
MirageXD
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:58 am
Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby crazymoth » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:52 pm

My psychosis is a little different... Both God and the Devil are my friends. :D

I've made the mistake of stopping my meds twice just to see what would happen. Both times ended up with a psychotic episode. So keep on taking them meds.

If you have to go off your meds just to prove to yourself that "you don't need them" please tell someone. When I tried it, I told my Mom and she said it was a bad idea but she still let me. About 2 weeks later I ended up in her arms crying my little heart out because I was psychotic. Goes to show you though... I can't do without them meds. Thank God we live in the 21st century. I don't know what cavemen did without meds when they got schizophrenia. :shock:
crazymoth's art: http://startrekq.com//
crazymoth
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby ocular_razor » Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:07 am

hello i've been slacking on my scripture reading as of late but i have asked, am asking, and probably will continue to ask some of the questions you're asking. i can't remember exactly at the moment but in one of paul's writings he talks about times when you doubt your own salvation. i'm sure that's another reason for my damnation i can't even be bothered to find it.

with the situation i'm currently in i am certain that it was spiritually influenced, things beyond the scope maneuvering until an absolute blockade is put up. everyone's marchin around my fortress, waitin me out, cuttin off supply lines, throwin poison within my walls. it is implausible to be bad timing, the assault is intentional.

ya know, i oughtta not get upset with jesus but many times i am weak. but he's truly all i've got. half of everyone i see and know hate my guts through to the core, the other half want to see me dead. i'm sure there are a handful that are simply indifferent about it. the assault is strong, i only barely managed to make it back to my castle to only wait for murder. but what can motivate so many people against someone as small and weak as i am? so many people i've never even seen before, people i've never wronged.

it's a spiritual motivation. not a spirit of light but absolute darkness. where some people literally shed their flesh, look nothing like people but demons instead. nah i don't think they're pod people, they intentionally submit their bodies to the human/fallen angel hybrids so that they can carry out their slaughter.

the insanity out there! if ya read the bible you're called a religious nutcase. but if ya abort your child you're liberated. i personally think if you've got questions for or doubts against jesus then it is best to seek them out. sometimes seeking them out consists of stumbling onto it.

i have been deceived many times but have also found answers the last place i'da thought to look. spiritual training is like strength training. when ya work your muscles until the same exercise becomes easy but just keep doing the same thing, no more building takes place. the edge is ever moving. honestly that terrifies me because i never think i'm gonna make it to the next rep or the next bar or the next step. it terrifies me because my brain will turn to utter mush - i am breathing but i am suffocating and nothing gets easier. even though i think i've been abandoned at least he has not turned against me.

but i noticed that with the docs i had you couldn't talk about anything biblical without getting a stink eye along with some notes jotted down and then a dosage increase. there was no conversations regarding it, just leavin ya out of the loop.

i am waiting for the day when uncle sam decides to get medicated.
ocular_razor
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:58 pm

Postby crazymoth » Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:19 am

Good read, Ocular.

I also ring my head asking those same questions. If I even bring up spirituality at the doctors, she will immediately change the subject or lead me toward some unrelated topic.

Sometimes, I do think it comes down to chemicals in our brains. But are we just supposed to ignore our divine inheritance? We are more than just matter, flesh, and bones. We are Spirit. It seems to me that when one of us humans begins to shine too brightly we get schizophrenia. It's almost as if the brighter you shine the darker the menace becomes.

What is this opposing force? Why can't we shine without worry?

Anyways... like I said. Maybe it is just chemicals in my brain going hay-wire. :?
crazymoth
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby ocular_razor » Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:09 am

when ya say they lead ya toward a different topic, it always seems so passive aggressive. it's one thing to change subjects if someone's just uncomfortable with it. so just say so for pete's sake ya know? don't pretend that unnatural segue isn't a coincidence. it's taboo when at the same time the doc is more than capable of 'expressing their professional opinion' instead of actin like a teenage girl.

i liked the mention of the increasing-contrast of brighter light.

well our brain does function on many chemicals. i like to think of it like a snow-globe. the whole world shakes violently and equilibrium is lost. so while chemicals i'm sure play a role, the environment is what affects them chemicals. and the environment people are capable of changing just by their actions, but chemicals need powerful drugs to change.

i always thought water and electricity took the path of least resistance. so i suppose it's easier for the chemical balancing instead of the environmental balancing.
ocular_razor
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:58 pm

Postby Rattatat » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:20 am

Yeah... get ###$ mother #####&.

-- Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:21 pm --

lol
Rattatat
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:58 pm

Postby MirageXD » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:05 pm

crazymoth wrote:Thank God we live in the 21st century. I don't know what cavemen did without meds when they got schizophrenia. :shock:

They made them shamans, and they became worshiped. LOL

There is a great movie about a caveman: The Man from Earth
MirageXD
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:58 am
Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby crazymoth » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:58 pm

Oh awesome Mirage, I'm gonna download it. Love movies like this. (I wish I could live thousands of years.)

maybe someone should start a movie thread about schizophrenia movies...
crazymoth
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Next

Return to Schizophrenia Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post