Our partner

My girlfriend...possible Schizophrenic?

Schizophrenia message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: Snaga

My girlfriend...possible Schizophrenic?

Postby Osiris » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:30 am

Today my girlfriend and I were walking around in a prairie, the entire time she was afraid of something hurting her. When we got to a place to sit she was crying saying that she wanted to go back, she wouldn't calm down no matter what I said to her so I guided her back the entire way. I was asking her what she didn't like about the plants and she eventually said "You don't hear what they say", and Once we were out of the prairie she kept staring at some trees like she was listening to them. She wouldn't tell me much of what they said but she said that they were saying horrible things and grabbing her and telling her that my friend was going to hurt us. She has had problem with talking plants before(telling her to burn down her aunts house). I read some of the symptoms of Schizophrenia and they seem spot on.
She experiences difficulty to:
[X]Tell the difference between real and unreal experiences(Talking Plants)
[X]Think logically(Her extreme emotions get in the way of thinking logically)
[X]Have normal emotional responses(Extremely sad or happy over small things)
[X]Behave normally in social situations(Always acts out or stays solitary)
I told her of these symptoms but she believes she expresses none of them, whereas I see all of them(she says I "DON'T UNDERSTAND" or "They do talk to me. Only me."). I'm very concerned for her, please help.
Osiris
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:19 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: My girlfriend...possible Schizophrenic?

Postby crazymoth » Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:26 am

This is a very familiar story. The individual refuses to believe he or she is ill.

What state do you live in? I was Baker Acted when I got sick. I'm in Florida though and not all states have something like this. That's when you or a family member go down to see the judge at city hall and he will write up an order to take the individual into custody for examination.

It was the only way with me. And looking back now... I'm so glad my parents did this. It was very emotional and heart wrenching but it was the only way. There was no way I was voluntarily going to the hospital to get checked out. The only way was to drag me there.

Now I'm on medication and I'm doing alright. The illness never goes away. It's for life schizophrenia. So looks like you might be making some tough decisions soon.

laters :)
crazymoth's art: http://startrekq.com//
crazymoth
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:19 am
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Osiris » Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:42 am

Illinois. I'm going to try to convince her to tell her therapist about it, hopefully she'll listen to me.
Osiris
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:19 am

Postby Don Singer » Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:44 am

i posted in her thread about all of this, and like i was telling her, i went through many of the same things. Talking trees, talking animals, mind-reading, relious experinces.......etc. With my first hand experience of this my guess would be that she may actually have it.

The only thing is though.....i would advise against medication, because, in the convention sense of the terms, the positive things that came out of all it(greater respect for the beauty of life and love) just seemed to dissipate leaving only the negative, angry and darker side of the illness. People have different experiences with medications though....
Don Singer
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Local time: Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:19 am

Postby katana » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:08 am

Hi,

The last 3 things you mentioned could come from 101 different disorders depending on the cause, but thinking plants are talking does sound a lot like psychosis, so i guess you're looking in the right sort of place, but i can see how it is hard to explain. i knew a girl with schizoaffective disorder who believed she was the child of God once, and it was very difficult to reason with her. she was detained under section in the end too. Is it possible maybe to reason with her that if the plants are talking (when others are there too), that if others can't hear them, maybe she shouldn't be so sure? ...or i'm guessing you've tried that already. i don't know what else to suggest really - i'm sorry i can't be more helpful!
katana
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby terrytar » Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:20 am

Although it is an old question, it is worth noting that some individuals may be able to communicate with plants or animals. Do not forget, we are the children of plants, after all. We need them, they do not need us. They were here first, and from a biological perspective they are identical to us in the way that they replicate and function. The difference is that they obtain energy from the sun - that important intermediary step is what unlocked our futures, as intelligent, reasoning human beings.

That being said, although plants, flowers and trees do not move or speak, they are in constant communication with one another, silently relating temperatures, pressures, assimilating communications from other species of plants, planetary positions, habits of nearby life. They are quite tuned to the apparation of life itself, and even conscious of the loss of any nearby life.

As for 'intelligence' it would difficult to prove, as they have no apparent brain. However, they evolved along a different evolutionary branch, long, long before us, and their consciousness may consist of electrical and chemical signals.

Many cases of schizophrenia are the confusing interferences from the communications of plants and animals. Certain humans may have developed the ability to decode or receive these communications over the millions and millions of years that our 'cousins' have been here, shielding and nourishing us.

Although this may not be the case in this instance, it is definitely something to consider. The story you have related of the field and the trees strikes me as a possible solution to this strange problem.

This is the reason that old people build gardens and spend all day tending flowers and their yards. Plants are special and not to be feared or dismissed as lifeless ornaments.
terrytar
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Return to Schizophrenia Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post