Our partner

Inappropriate Affect

Schizophrenia message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: Snaga

Inappropriate Affect

Postby fragments0434 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:15 am

Hey ya'll
new to the forum.
I was diagnosed with psychosis when I was 17 then schizophrenia when I was 19 and now I'm 23.
I have a lot of symptoms but the one that is getting me into trouble lately is inappropriate affect. Or at least I think it is. My girlfriend and I have been fighting and I keep laughing when I shouldn't be. She'll tell me she is leaving and I'll just have a "smug look on my face" and I'll start laughing. But really I don't think it is funny and I don't want her to leave. Has anyone else had this symptom and if so, how have you dealt with it?

thanks
fragments0434
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Inappropriate Affect

Postby Tyler » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:13 pm

Hello, welcome to the forum.

I have actually never heard of this. I've been the mod of this forum for over two years now, have met a lot of other Schizophrenic people, but usually, when stuff gets tense, like between you and your girlfriend, it's generally a flat affect. No emotion shown whatsoever. Just a blank stare, monotone voice, basic and simple response such as "Okay" or "alright".

I'm not a doctor, and we're not allowed to diagnose people on here, but this could possibly be from something else. I saw in another thread on here that you have a history of drug abuse, correct? What drugs have you abused? It's possible that one of them could be causing this as a long lasting effect from the abuse. Overall, I'd recommend talking to your psych doctor about it.

Hope this helps.
Email me if you want some desserts

Diagnosed: Schizoaffective Disorder Bi-polar type Rapid Cycling.

Forum Rules

Heck ( • ̀ω•́ )
Tyler
Moderator: Consumer
Moderator: Consumer

Local time: Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (5)

Postby Alucard » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:29 am

Hi fragments,

I've heard of inappropriate affect before. I've also heard it be called "incongruent affect" in response to my own behavior before, by a psychologist I had, and they're basically the same thing, it's just inappropriate affect is used more commonly as a term. I laugh at things I shouldn't, and not because I think they're funny; or I smile and giggle and not because I think those things are titillating. I also won't have a very emotional response to something "happy" or whatever, exciting, whatever, sad, whatever, to things that are going on or things that people are saying. It really depends on my mental state though. It happens more often if I'm stressed and distracted by my own world, and less often when I'm not as stress/distracted. I also noticed I had a lot of issues with flattened affect and "smug" looks when I was on medication.

I kind of just roll with the punches. Sometimes I apologize, sometimes I don't because I really don't have to, it all depends on the other person's reaction. I think it's also important for the other person, especially a significant other, since this is a constant struggle for you, to be very aware of how separate your reactions are from your actual feelings. They have to be on the same level as you, and just as aware of it as you are, or else things won't work out. It's a hard conversation, but one worthwhile. If they can't comprehend that, or aren't willing to work on an understanding . . . well, you can only do so much.

Anyway, just my thoughts.
I like living in the world in my head because I'm in charge half the time.
Alucard
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (9)

Postby Holodeck » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:32 pm

Yup, my mom and I do this. We both laugh at things that we don't find funny, and will on occasion cry when not feeling even a hint of sadness. Most times it's flat effect, but occasionally, like Alucard said, I'll do it randomly when extremely anxious. If I'm around someone at the time who acts weirded out, I'll apologize, and act tired, claiming I haven't slept well in days saying it's either making me slap happy or emotional.
Holodeck
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to Schizophrenia Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post