Our partner

Occasional Schizophrenia?

Schizophrenia message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: Snaga

Occasional Schizophrenia?

Postby hydroflask » Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:15 pm

I have a boyfriend who has experienced symptoms of schizophrenia off and on since he was a child. I can't be sure about the past but since we've been dating I've noticed the pattern.

He sees little things like lights and shadows on the daily basis -- he knows these aren't there. These don't bother him.
He has difficulty explaining his thoughts and feelings always. But no "word salad" until symptoms get unbearable -- during his psychotic break.
About twice a month he'll hear voices talking to him, narrating his actions etc etc.
On a weekly basis he'll get severely paranoid. He handles this well though, I must say.
And about three times a year he'll have a psychotic break where he's mentally and physically not in this realm. This is when it gets the most severe. These severe episodes usually last for about a week although his symptoms usually happen at night. The typical ridged, "frozen", movements. Not being able to hear or understand me, crying... etc. When I say he's not in the realm, I say this to you with zero exaggeration.

Long story short, does it count as schizophrenia if his symptoms come and go? And how often do your symptoms appear?
hydroflask
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:35 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Occasional Schizophrenia?

Postby Winteriscoming » Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:41 pm

Yes, schizophrenia can be episodic.
Winteriscoming
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:35 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Occasional Schizophrenia?

Postby Tyler » Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:33 am

This does sound like it could be Schizophrenia. I used to have symptoms every night, too. Doe she sleep at night? Does he get enough sleep? Lack of sleep could be a big cause of this. Is he on any medication? If he takes his medication at night, it could be the medication wearing off. Mine does that, my Geodon that I take at 9am (I work overnight) starts to wear off shortly after 8am, and I sometimes get psychotic (hallucinations and delusions)

The best thing you could do for him is to get him to a psychiatrist, or even a family doctor. There are tests that family doctors can help him with to see if maybe he should go to a psychiatrist, or if it's something else entirely.
Email me if you want some desserts

Diagnosed: Schizoaffective Disorder Bi-polar type Rapid Cycling.

Forum Rules

Heck ( • ̀ω•́ )
Tyler
Moderator: Consumer
Moderator: Consumer

Local time: Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:35 pm
Blog: View Blog (5)

Return to Schizophrenia Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post