Our partner

Can you leave your psychiatrist?

Schizophrenia message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: Snaga

Can you leave your psychiatrist?

Postby CatSlave » Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:15 pm

I don't have schizophrenia but looks like my psychiatrist thinks so.
I am schizoid and sometimes I get paranoid but only when I'm stressed but I forgot to tell that to my psychiatrist and I think that he thinks that I'm always paranoid. He put me on antipsychotics but they aren't helping me at all. I'm gonna tell him that he made a mistake but he might think that I'm lying to him and he would not take out the antipsychotics which are worsening my apathy but he insists on me to take them.
Can you leave your psychiatrist? He is not good at all. I have asked him and he told me that you can't leave your psychiatrist and that scared me. I don't want to take antipsychotics my whole life because of a misunderstanding
CatSlave
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:34 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Can you leave your psychiatrist?

Postby cntbelivit » Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:53 pm

Ask him what it is you've done to warrant the the diagnosis. If he is says you're paranoid, push him to tell you what that means, specifically: "What have I actually said or done that's been chronically paranoid and schizophrenic?" He shouldn't lie to you about it.
Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving. - AE
cntbelivit
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:34 pm
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby Scattered Ashes » Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:22 pm

I'll get back to you on this one :D

You can certainly see a different psychiatrist and see what they say.
Scattered Ashes
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:34 am

Postby sinder » Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:47 am

You can leave your Pyschatrist anytime, i have changed doctors and psycatrist alot. i take Seroquel for paranoid schizophrenia, but i dont feel like the medicine helps at all, doesnt make me less paranoid. i still take it before i go to bed because it make me tired but i dont take the dose as the doctors and psychatrist wants me to take, but il rather take that then addictive benzodiazpam pills to sleep. i have alot of stuff going on in my head when i try to sleep so i need something to be able to sleep. Its your life, your choice, your not forced to anything. if you dont like the psychatrist, quit and tell him to ###$ off.
sinder
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:34 am

Postby katwomansz » Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:15 pm

Just say you want a second medical opinion. You may have to pay for it though.
katwomansz
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:34 pm

Postby katwomansz » Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:45 pm

You could just get a second opinion. If you want you can tell the doc what they say and discuss, or move to the new doc.
A doc can be technically proficient, but if they don't fit your personality, it can be tough to get help from them.
katwomansz
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby tham9562 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:54 am

Not sure in the case of schizophrenia and schizoid. But I just asked and they changed mine.
tham9562
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:34 pm

Postby Ink and Toner » Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:12 pm

You can absolutely "dump" your psychiatrist. You can "dump" a therapist as well. I've known a lot of psychiatrists who are walking egos, and they give off a power vibe like they're the president of the US. I HATE that quality in a psychiatrist. I am lucky to have a humble, very talented psychiatrist in my life. All you have to do is call and cancel your upcoming appts. (If he says you may not cancel, then just don't show up.) Then make an appt with someone new. Good luck!
Ink and Toner
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Postby Marian » Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:06 pm

Yes, you can most definitely dump your psychiatrist, unless there's some court decision that you can't because your a danger to yourself and others...and even then you can have a second opinion.

I have dumped two psychiatrists already because they were indeed big narcisstic ego's, who were only focussed on themselves, did nothing to help, blocked my access to better help and denied that my symptoms existed (one even denied that pms existed :roll:).

Some psychiatrists hate to be dumped and become weird. One started to insult me. The other gave notice to CPS, stating to both me and my parents explicitly that my son was obviously doing well, but me leaving his treatment was his reason for noticing CPS. CPS called, asked why I left, said I was very right to leave and nothing happened. But anyway - don't believe everything your psychiatrist says, he might be just as narcissistic as mine.

At the moment I am searching for a new one (ideally I'd recommend a different order: search a new one and then dump the old :)). I don't know about the US, but here we have a website where you can read about other people's experiences with psychiatrists...it might be useful. I just found out a saw that others also described my psychiatrist a arrogant, unsafe, unempathic, blunt, unhelpful.

It's YOUR life and YOUR mind and you should seek out someone who you feel really helps you and find a treatment that suits you. Be critical.
Marian
Consumer 4
Consumer 4

Local time: Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:34 am

Return to Schizophrenia Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post