Our partner

voices

Schizophrenia message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: Snaga

voices

Postby rehtnap » Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:10 pm

when i saw the psychotherapist earlier this year one of the things she asked was do i hear voicesbut she described them as like hearing the radio or as we were talking. i said no which i dont but the voices inside my head are driving me crazy. recently ive had a few manic anger outbursts lasting for a day or so the last one they gave me diazipam to calm me. after my case worker asked how it went and i told her that my head went silent just before i crashed out.
my question is simple,when people say they hear voices is it external to them or inside the head.
rehtnap
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:39 am
Blog: View Blog (98)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: voices

Postby snakeclone » Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:41 pm

Hi. Psychiatrist know the majority of people who hear voices hear them externally. One of the test in a forensic setting for voices is to ask someone if the voices are internal or external and the correct answer is external. Internal voices do occur, I have them too, but my doctors don't seem to care much about them. My mind won't shut down cause of this. It's going non stop all day long. I hope you are able to deal with yours like I have because I've read of people who's mind won't shut off go and do bad things. I just go along with the voices and sometimes I end up doing dumb things cause of them, but that's how I live with them.
snakeclone
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Local time: Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:39 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby sufferwell » Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:26 pm

I agree with what snakeclone said, especially about most people dealing with psychosis hearing external voices. But hearing both external and internal voices can definitely happen, too; I have voices that can sound like they're coming from the outside of my head, along with voices that sound like they are in the inside of my head.
DX: Moderate/severe depression, severe anxiety, dyscalculia, autistic disorder, DP/DR
Possible conditions: paranoid schizophrenia, BPD
sufferwell
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:39 am

Postby Una+ » Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:22 pm

My voices are inside my head usually, sometimes outside. There is published research on this and it turns out that voices outside vs inside is not useful for differential diagnosis of psychosis vs other causes of hearing voices. Other causes include OCD, severe anxiety, severe dissociation, and more.
Dx DID older woman married w kids. 0 Una, host + 3, 1, 5. 1 animal. 2 older man. 3 teen girl. 4 girl behind amnesia wall. 5 girl in love. Our thread.
Una+
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:39 am

Return to Schizophrenia Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post