Our partner

discrepancies in diagnosis

Schizophrenia message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: Snaga

discrepancies in diagnosis

Postby chasms » Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:42 pm

i was just diagnosed with schizophrenia but i thought i would have been diagnosed with schizoaffective?

i was previously diagnosed with bipolar nos, then bipolar nos with psychosis. this was due to mixed episodes. now my psych doesnt think that really. but i still have depression, i had it before the psychotic symptoms started though its gotten better lots with meds.

so my question is: (and yes ive already tried researching this but nothing is helpful)
is there a different between comorbid schizophrenia with depression and schizoaffective depressive type? is it perhaps the severity of symptoms? I read the symptoms in schizoaffective are a little less extreme than that of schizophrenia but i dont know if it is true. Like, it doesn't mean the full dx criteria of sz
DX: ocd, gad, depression, bpd, schizoaffective depressed type
RX: vraylar, neurontin, remeron, valium, lithium
past RX: geodon, risperdal, abilify, prozac, wellbutrin, baclofen, hydroxyzine, trazadone, zoloft, klonopin, cymbalta, latuda, loxapine, rexulti, seroquel, luvox, saphris
chasms
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Local time: Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:10 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: discrepancies in diagnosis

Postby Imperius » Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:16 pm

The difference between the two diagnosis is a technical one and functionally there is not much difference. I am diagnosed with schizophrenia and depression also. It means schizoaffective depressive type experiences more depression during their psychotic episodes. Schizophrenia and depression on the other hand usually have psychosis without depression or with depression as a minor symtom. According to the DSM-V, the prognosis rate in schizoaffective is slightly better than schizophrenia.
Diagnosis: Schizophrenia.
Imperius
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:10 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to Schizophrenia Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post