Our partner

Hallucinations and meditation

Schizophrenia message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: Snaga

Hallucinations and meditation

Postby mindstudy » Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:56 am

Have you ever used meditation to deal with hallucinations?
Have they ever helped you ignore hallucinations, or prevent them from occurring in the first place?
Do they ever make things worse?

Appreciate any thoughts or input. I'm just curious how meditation affects this. Thanks.
mindstudy
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:17 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Hallucinations and meditation

Postby Malasha » Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:57 am

I use only meditation.This is the most effective option. In this way
Close your eyes. Let nothing disturb you. Try not just to relax but keep track of all the tension in your body which deprives you of a comfortable state. Focus your attention on the muscles of the face and head. And then not paying attention on these tension try to reach a comfortable state
At this time you can reach a comfortable state on very strong muscle strain. People often do not notice this severe muscle tension and support it on an unconscious level. This tension can be so strong that your force may not be enough to remove it. And your efforts should be aimed not at maintaining tension but on their withdrawal. For that you need only to focus on the state of inner comfort.
You can notice that internal tension as if attract your attention. At the beginning try to focus on this place, and then as if to get out of this concentration. This technique can be called a technique of a scattered attention.
Try to do it!
Then can such a thing happen - you focus on some place and able to relax the muscles but tension have changed the configuration and had gone to another place. You trace it again and again you letting go all the tension out but again it goes to another place. So you can meditate as much as you want. If you succeed that's a pleasure.
Certainly, it's better to do it at night but it is possible at any time. Anywhere at least for a minute close your eyes and instantly focus your attention on the muscles of the face and head.
Just technique - don't orientate on emotional coloring of feelings but only on the strength of feeling.
Malasha
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:17 pm

Postby LesMisJim » Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:05 am

In my experience medication is very important to being free of hallucinations. But it hasn't always blocked them. When schizophrenia onset in my life the hallucinations were sensory, auditory, and on rare occasion visual. They completely reshaped my entire reality. My reality was the hallucinations that is. They developed into traumatic, and terrifying themes. When I was finally medicated, knew I was schizophrenic, tried to think my way out of it. The symptoms went away.

However, I suffered a number of relapses over the next couple of years. Something might trigger a memory, or a situation that reminded me of my years worth of hallucinations (24-7), and I might go a couple of weeks before they would go away. I always tried to believe that they were going to go away, and I convinced myself they were not real but a brain failure. Still they would come back from time to time. Ultimately there came a time when they stopped coming back.

Then I went off the meds, and I once again developed delusional thinking, and psychosis. However, this psychosis wasn't frightening, it was just like imagined voices taking on the personality of a normal next door neighbor. I might hear noises that I thought were a party, or company coming over. In reality that wasn't happening, but these hallucinations were benign.

Once I went back on the meds the hallucinations went away, as did the delusional thinking.
I believe that medication gives someone the chance to be free of hallucinations, but it doesn't always prevent them altogether. I think the patient must try to still deal with their illness, and the medication will help, and enable this. However, the medication on it's own may not be entirely depended upon to free someone of the symptoms of schizophrenia.

I am not a doctor, if you ask them, trust their opinion as a trained professional. But then again, this is people like you and my life. We live the disease, and the disease can be very, very powerful in our lives. We know what it is to be this way. Trust that with the medication you can be free of psychosis.
LesMisJim
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:17 pm

Postby smartlife » Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:05 pm

"Meditation is the straightest path to perfectiom"
Ignace de loyola
smartlife
Consumer 0
Consumer 0