Our partner

need help on diagnosis

Schizophrenia message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: Snaga

need help on diagnosis

Postby mry_yzd » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:31 pm

Hi,
I have a cousin, who is 32 years old and a year younger than I am.
She was quite a normal child before she went to high school. Very happy and brilliant student in the school. When she went to high school, she started to be quite shy and quiet and she preffered to be alone.
When my mother and I would go to visit them, she would go to her room and shut the door and sometimes she treated us with anger and bitterness. Then, she was admitted to the university and studied engineering and got her masters. She was not a top student, but she did well in the university and finished her studies at the age of 24~25.

Then she started looking for a job but couldn't really find any and since then I can say she has fooled around. One thing that really made her very sad was my and her younger sister's marriage. I should say that she and her mother are quite obssessed with getting married and it was always her dream to get married.

She was not also successful to have friends and boy friends. She would hang out with any boy that would come to her way wishing for someone to propose to her... it did not happen. She does not really have a personality that would attarct anyone.
Since 3 years ago, when she was 29 or so she has started showing symptoms that are really odd.

Sometimes she becomes completely silent and does not talk to anyone. When she goes out she puts a smile on her face and stares at men. Two years ago, she started showing sympoms like dancing, moving her hands around and she went out of the house and started to take her clothes off. So, she was hospotalized for two weeks. Since then she was better. We didn't notice any oddity in her. But, again, she has started to be quiet since two weeks ago.

When she becomes like this, she walks all of the time. She does not sleep at all and she goes to the bathroom like 100 times a day. She is quite pesimist about others, but we have not noticed her ever complaining about voices in her head or having delusion.

The dr's diagnosis is schizophrenia. I have shared her story here to see what you guys think about it. Because my uncle and aunt are in their 60s and they're not physically strong enough to take care of her and her sis has also immigrated somewhere else.

I appreciate any helpful comments.
mry_yzd
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:32 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: need help on diagnosis

Postby Tyler » Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:37 am

First off, I think it would be appropriate for me to let you know that we're not allowed to diagnose anyone.

With that being said, some of the things you mentioned here could be attributed to other mental illnesses. Not being able to sleep could be simple insomnia, which a lot of people grow through at one point in their lives, or it could possibly be from mania. I have a friend who suffers from Bipolar Disorder Type II, and he only sleeps for four hours a day, and he's able to live a normal life with that.

The random aggression and isolation in her teens year could simply be teenage angst. Whenever my family visits or gets together, I either hang around my mother, my one aunt, or by myself. I usually listen to music or play a video game. Could be that my family and I, for the most part, are two completely different kinds of people. I'm only 21, but I can sit down and talk with my family members (most of them anyway).

Being a top student in anything while being Schizophrenic is remarkable. It is possible, however, that she only recently started the symptoms of Schizophrenia. Whenever my symptoms first started showing up, I wasn't living a normal life. I stopped taking care of myself - never brushed my teeth or showered, didn't care to go outside or get a job, slept all day and stayed up all night - but once I finally got a job (over night stock boy), my symptoms started coming from all possible areas. My hallucinations sky rocketed, my paranoia was never worse, my hatred for my co-workers (which I was hospitalized because I had severe intentions of killing a couple of them, but that was resolved during that hospital visit). Even the ones I liked I had planned on killing. Now, I'm diagnosed with Schizoaffective Disorder, which, as it was explained to me, is both Schizophrenia and Bipolar Disorder. I'm not saying she has bipolar disorder, but she could experience some of the symptoms

Here's an article you could read on Schizophrenia http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/topics/s ... ndex.shtml
Email me if you want some desserts

Diagnosed: Schizoaffective Disorder Bi-polar type Rapid Cycling.

Forum Rules

Heck ( • ̀ω•́ )
Tyler
Moderator: Consumer
Moderator: Consumer

Local time: Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:32 am
Blog: View Blog (5)

Re: need help on diagnosis

Postby mry_yzd » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:07 am

Tyler77

Thanks so much for your reply. It gave me a better view about this situation. And, though you're much younger that I am, you wrote in a very mature way and helped me to understand many things. Thanks again.
mry_yzd
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:32 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to Schizophrenia Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post