Our partner

What's the difference between intrusive thoughts and voices?

Schizophrenia message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: Snaga

Re: What's the difference between intrusive thoughts and voi

Postby theendofwords » Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:10 pm

Jasper wrote:I don't think tolerance or having a certain opinion has anything to do with a mental disorder a person has. I've mental issues, yes, but I'm not defined by them. I still have my own will and my own opinions and a personality. I also think my way of thinking has advantages and disadvantages. I've a higher level of phantasy and creativity, but I suffer and have a low level of energy and have trouble concentrating while reading and that's a big disadvantage. If I could choose, I would rather be healthy.

mental disorders are all symptoms of a greater suffering of man. schizophrenia, ocd, depression, anxiety, general emotional instability. seen altogether, it's clearly a pandemic that is sweeping man's psyche; the collective unconscious. and i name for you the source. the name of "the devil"/"the deceiver"/"the disease". it is in one way doctrine itself. knowledge. knowledge and doctrine are both another man's ideas, which the naive sheep follow, and even the astute sheep follow. man is divided within. to remove those divisions, to become whole, and to gain authority over what afflicts you and not, is not just a matter of changing opinions or developing tolerances. one must forfeit all "opinion", and all "belief". it is arrogant to say what is good or bad, and it is arrogant to propagate another man's beliefs. the divine teacher is within and speaks without words. it is instinct. it is a lack of strategy. it is to allow yourself to err so that you learn from it. it is to obey the self above all else.
or are you actually content, living in a world where you are not free, but a slave, from childhood, conditioned and hypnotized, maimed, where laws made by other men govern your own body: what goes into it (drug laws which communicate to the mind external ownership/mastership), where you live (given man-made laws and borders), how you dress (laws about clothing; those without shame should not need to be clothed), and the most damaging, how you express yourself (laws about "curses" and "negativity"; "kindness" and "niceness"; these laws make self-conscious, self-controlling, dishonest men). the man accepts laws about his expression does not honor himself.

[mod edit]
Last edited by Cheze2 on Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Posts that excessively promote a belief are not permitted.
theendofwords
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:12 am
Blog: View Blog (3)

ADVERTISEMENT

Postby scrubaus » Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:26 am

theendofwords wrote:
Jasper wrote:I don't think tolerance or having a certain opinion has anything to do with a mental disorder a person has. I've mental issues, yes, but I'm not defined by them. I still have my own will and my own opinions and a personality. I also think my way of thinking has advantages and disadvantages. I've a higher level of phantasy and creativity, but I suffer and have a low level of energy and have trouble concentrating while reading and that's a big disadvantage. If I could choose, I would rather be healthy.

mental disorders are all symptoms of a greater suffering of man. schizophrenia, ocd, depression, anxiety, general emotional instability. seen altogether, it's clearly a pandemic that is sweeping man's psyche; the collective unconscious. and i name for you the source. the name of "the devil"/"the deceiver"/"the disease". it is in one way doctrine itself. knowledge. knowledge and doctrine are both another man's ideas, which the naive sheep follow, and even the astute sheep follow. man is divided within. to remove those divisions, to become whole, and to gain authority over what afflicts you and not, is not just a matter of changing opinions or developing tolerances. one must forfeit all "opinion", and all "belief". it is arrogant to say what is good or bad, and it is arrogant to propagate another man's beliefs. the divine teacher is within and speaks without words. it is instinct. it is a lack of strategy. it is to allow yourself to err so that you learn from it. it is to obey the self above all else.
or are you actually content, living in a world where you are not free, but a slave, from childhood, conditioned and hypnotized, maimed, where laws made by other men govern your own body: what goes into it (drug laws which communicate to the mind external ownership/mastership), where you live (given man-made laws and borders), how you dress (laws about clothing; those without shame should not need to be clothed), and the most damaging, how you express yourself (laws about "curses" and "negativity"; "kindness" and "niceness"; these laws make self-conscious, self-controlling, dishonest men). the man accepts laws about his expression does not honor himself.

ask me a question, about your own suffering, and i will point you in the right direction. i have healed men before.

That's enough internet today for me...
scrubaus
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Jasper » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:23 am

theendofwords wrote:
scrubaus wrote:Are you schizophrenic or suffer from a condition or are you here to spread the "Message" to the mentally ill.

i have suffered hell, and conquered hell. after doing so, the only course of action i can seem to take is to reach down into hell and point my brothers the way out. this is met with more unconscious acceptance than conscious acceptance. the ego does not want to admit its foundations are precarious, am i right? to be free, is to be without foundation whatsoever.

So I'm gonna reframe the question:
Did you had experienced psychotic episodes in the past?

Your answer just mentioned that you had suffered in the past, but didn't answer the question specifically if you have schizophrenia. :|
"Without realizing it, the individual composes his life according to the laws of beauty even in times of greatest distress." - Milan Kundera

dx: depression, schizotypal PD (with autistic and paranoid tendencies), Tourette's, Transgender
Jasper
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:12 am

Postby dexxy » Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:42 pm

My voices are strange and usually come with other sounds too. But if it helps to know I can't understand them well 99% of the time. Sometimes I hear my name or my mothers voice saying something but that's the extent to which I can usually understand them. They're usually just random voices of people talking that come from odd places and sometimes they whisper to me.

I do have intrusive thoughts but they are not voices, I can't directly hear them but they are powerful enough to throw me into a highly negative depressive thought loop that ruins me. Things like everything I do is completely useless, nothing matters, all good feelings are hollow experiences and I'll always be empty and unfeeling for the rest of eternity by default. I don't get suicidal intrusive thoughts though probably because in those thought loops it's implied that if I killed myself even that wouldn't matter and would do absolutely nothing. They tell me that reality is eternally unfeeling and colorless, and I don't want it to be but it always feels like it's right.
dexxy
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:12 pm

Postby UnB743 » Sat May 31, 2014 12:25 am

I wonder the same thing ever since I've been on medicine it's pretty much gone away but it's these communications of voices jibber jabbering back and forth to each other about stuff that doesn't even make sense. Is it intrusive thoughts or voices I almost think mine were voices Bc of the way they talked back to each other and I had no control over it all my mind was trying to think is stop it stop it stop it a lot of times I would pray and they would interrupt my prayers so I learned to just say Jesus please help me God help me take this away from me and usually momentarily it would make them stop but they always came back.
UnB743
Consumer 4
Consumer 4

Local time: Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:12 pm
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby UnB743 » Sat May 31, 2014 3:42 am

Intrusive thoughts r more like u laying n bed trying to go to sleep and u didn't get none beforehe went to sleep and he gets a late nite text message that seems legit but play a scenario where it wasn't kool and don't wanna touch him and wish u could cry but there's nothing wrong then thinking about riding him and then stabbing him and myself and calling my mom to come take care ofthe kids. That's some crazy shitto think about but I know that it was a thought and not a voice kinda like the difference between a book and a movie. I shouldn't but now I'm going eat something and smoke a cig I'm ready to fall asleep but can't yet o my lil boy lost his first tooth today I was so proud it's so tiny it's cute
UnB743
Consumer 4
Consumer 4

Local time: Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:12 pm
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Amber35 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:00 pm

Toucan wrote:Just wondering, does this count as voice hearing? I keep "hearing" this person scream really mean stuff sometimes, but not towards me. Like while I'm walking down the street it screams "f*cking n*gg*rs!" or "you c*nts" and many other slurs. I get really nervous because I think people will hear it and think I screamed it, and assume I'm some crazy racist/sexist/whatever. But it still feels like it's inside my head.
I feel like this "voice" isn't actually a ranting bigot. It feels like it's just screaming those things to try to embarrass me.

I've experienced this and it's the devil causing you pain. I often wonder if someone can hear the voice too! [mod edit]
Last edited by Cheze2 on Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Posts that excessively promote a belief are not permitted.
Amber35
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Postby Jasper » Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:53 am

CityMouse wrote:
ForcedIsolation wrote:I guess what i mean is i currently suffer from EXTREME intrusive thoughts. But then in my mind they are being spoken to me like a conversation between myself and them.
BUT that other person is also me, it's not as if i'm hearing voices from other people i get the thoughts and conversations from myself and i can't physically hear them there just in my head.

These thoughts believe i should kill myself often and always involve self-hatred and negativity.
Whatever i do i can't get rid of them, they are VERY strong. Not mindfulness, counselling, therapy, cbt, etc. etc. nothing gets rid of them despite how much effort i put in
I have been treated for Depression and Anxiety but nothing has worked, just wondering if i may have another problem?
Does this sound like psychosis to you?

This is basically the same thing I've been experiencing. In fact, that's what I was asking about in the thread "Is This a Part of Schizophrenia?" You might want to read it. The only difference is that my characters don't tell me to kill myself, they just push me around a lot. Mindfulness doesn't work for me either. But talking to myself blocks them out, along with watching TV, reading, and writing, but especially talking to myself. Also I have cut down drastically on alcohol, as that can make it worse. I suggest you take an anti-psychotic like Risperdal or Haldol. And ask your doctor. Hope this helps.

Some OCD like symptoms are also very common in schizophrenia, also I guess the intrusive thoughts are also very often more severe than in normal ppl BUT those symptoms can also occour in many other disorders. When I'm in huge stress and/or my positive symptoms get more severe, I also experience more intrusive thoughts. But officially I've "just" schizotypal.
"Without realizing it, the individual composes his life according to the laws of beauty even in times of greatest distress." - Milan Kundera

dx: depression, schizotypal PD (with autistic and paranoid tendencies), Tourette's, Transgender
Jasper
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:12 am

Postby feelsbetter » Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:49 am

I don't know anything anymore really. Is it possible everyone is the same way except they can control it better. Uhh. I just try to keep busy whatever I can do. Pretend its a mind filibuster. Also I've noticed sometimes it helps to address them in a politer manner, while other times just tell em to f off. But, just admitting this occurs to us puts us in a predicament. I've found it more difficult to stand rational ground with irrational acting people already being labeled irrational... Good luck.
feelsbetter
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby sufferwell » Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:09 am

Glad to know I'm not the only one who has these issues. Still, it's hard to tell whether they're intrusive thoughts or actually voices. Sometimes I can hear them, but they're very faint. Yet I know that I can at least hear them, somehow. It's really messing with my head.
DX: Moderate/severe depression, severe anxiety, dyscalculia, autistic disorder, DP/DR
Possible conditions: paranoid schizophrenia, BPD
sufferwell
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:12 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Schizophrenia Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post