Our partner

Could I be schizophrenic at age 13?

Schizophrenia message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: Snaga

Could I be schizophrenic at age 13?

Postby MrLuLz » Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:22 pm

Hey everyone, My name is Isaac. I'm no different your average teenager; I have friends, I play video games, I have stupid relationships that last for a week... Except for one key trait

I believe I have schizophrenia.

Now I've done my research on schizophrenia, and I know that it can be something your born with and usually kicks in in your early adult years; which is a fair time away. But I hear voices in my head, see shadows move, find it hard to focus. As well as having my mothers side COMPLETELY schizophrenic, things aren't looking good for me. I was home alone today; I was constantly locking doors, investigating noises (which was usually just the house creaking), hearing voices. I'm legitimately scared for my future.

Ironically enough, I want to become a Psychologist or a Psychiatrist; but im afraid ill turn into Hannibal Lecter

Could someone more experienced then myself offer me some insight? Because everyone I've discussed this with is clueless about psychology or psychiatry. Please?

Thank you
~Isaac
MrLuLz
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:45 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Could I be schizophrenic at age 13?

Postby smithywise » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:55 pm

MrLuLz wrote:Hey everyone, My name is Isaac.

Hi.

I'm no different your average teenager; I have friends, I play video games, I have stupid relationships that last for a week... Except for one key trait

I believe I have schizophrenia.

Now I've done my research on schizophrenia, and I know that it can be something your born with and usually kicks in in your early adult years;

As you also probably have read, it can start earlier too. When you see things and hear voices, it isn't always due to schizophrenia. You could have depression with some psychotic features, or bipolar disorder, or some other, related disorder. Sometimes these things occur because of prescription medication or recreational drugs. Rarely, they occur due to a physical-medical illness. I always like to leave that little wiggle room - it can be due to something else than schizophrenia. And since you're young and it doesn't often start at your age, I'd do 'due diligence' - I mean I'd make sure you were right.

which is a fair time away. But I hear voices in my head, see shadows move, find it hard to focus. As well as having my mothers side COMPLETELY schizophrenic, things aren't looking good for me.

They may all be schizophrenic, but that doesn't mean you are. Only your first degree(closest) relatives add much to your risk of schizophrenia. I know a guy whose brother and mother had it, and he still didn't get it. Schizophrenia just is not that reliably inherited. That's a fact. Even if your identical TWIN had it you still only have a 50% chance of having it. Surprised? Most people are.

Even if you do have schizophrenia, it doesn't mean you're going to be disabled as much as they were. These days, treatments are better, and people who start early on with treatment, really don't have to be thinking this is a disaster.

I was home alone today; I was constantly locking doors, investigating noises (which was usually just the house creaking), hearing voices. I'm legitimately scared for my future.

Again, your future doesn't have to be like their lives were.

Ironically enough, I want to become a Psychologist or a Psychiatrist; but im afraid ill turn into Hannibal Lecter

Look, that was a movie, not real life. Hannibal Lecter was like a scary ride at the amusement park, not a real person. The movie catered to people who love scary movies. It didn't represent a real situation.

The truth is, I have a friend (well he's everyone's friend, Fred Frese), who's a psychologist and has schizophrenia, and he isn't the only one who is.

I've been friends with people with schizophrenia for DECADES, sir, and I haven't ever been so much as pushed. I am here to tell you, you take care of yourself, don't drink, don't do street drugs, and stick with treatment, you don't ever have to worry about being a Hannibal Lecter. In fact I despise that movie because it scared people with mental illness so bad.

We could toss around technical terms, but they don't really matter. What matters is that you find out what's causing these disturbing symptoms, and you trust your doctor, stick with the treatment he or she prescribes, and go on with your life.

Could someone more experienced then myself offer me some insight? Because everyone I've discussed this with is clueless about psychology or psychiatry. Please?

Thank you

You have something many people don't have - insight. This is going to be your most powerful weapon.
~Isaac
smithywise
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:15 am
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby twinkle86 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:16 pm

My symptoms started at around 9 that I remember so you may be beginning to have symptoms. As smithy said there may be other reasons for the voices. My advice would be to start documenting in a journal your experiences and to maybe ask your parents to see a therapist. I don't eat people like Dr.Lecter either. :shock:
Diagnosis schizophrenia
twinkle86
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:15 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby adq23 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:37 pm

My symptoms (i.e. my paranoia) started when I was about 16, which is not much older than you are. It took a loooong while before I started to get treatment and I got kind of messed up along the way - very much because of drugs, so there's that, don't do drugs - but I don't eat people either. Now I might have a hard time separating fiction from reality - this is probably due to my illness - but I can tell you that you don't start eating people just because you get a mental disorder.

Anyway, my point is that you have nothing to worry about. Just stick to the prescribed treatment, stay off drugs and everything is almost surely going to be fine. And when I say almost surely, I basically mean that it will.
The world is hollow and I have touched the sky.
adq23
Consumer 4
Consumer 4

Local time: Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:15 am
Blog: View Blog (1)

Return to Schizophrenia Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post