Our partner

Misanthrope.

Schizoid Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderators: WichitaLineman, IceBlock

Misanthrope.

Postby whatever-sp » Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:54 pm

So I always considered myself a misanthrope. But after actually looking into it, I guess the correct term is schizoid. In my case covert.

Did other people here consider themselves misanthropes? I'm not too sure which term would have less negative connotations.
whatever-sp
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:14 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Misanthrope.

Postby kenderes » Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:29 am

It is difficult to decide which term carries more stigma: 'schizoid' is a disorder instead of the personal choice, 'misanthrope' means you actively detest and hate people.

I don't consider myself a misanthrope, because I don't really hate everyone. I just have realistic expectations of those I interact with. Some people correspond more with my ideals of interpersonal behavior, some correspond less. We are all flawed, anyway.
Go work
Earn money
Buy flour and vodka
Keep your kids away from ganja
There won't be no tomorrow
kenderes
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Local time: Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:14 am

Postby Carazombi » Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:26 pm

“Do you hate people?

I don't hate them...I just feel better when they're not around.”
― Charles Bukowski
Carazombi
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:14 am

Postby Zeropathic » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:43 pm

Carazombi wrote:“Do you hate people?

I don't hate them...I just feel better when they're not around.”
― Charles Bukowski

This, pretty much. I prefer observing the world from the "outside" rather than actively taking part in it.

I think there's a difference between being a misanthrope and being schizoid. The two are not mutually exclusive, though.
Zeropathic
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Local time: Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:14 am

Postby Platypus » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:40 am

whatever-sp wrote:Did other people here consider themselves misanthropes?

Yes, but I don't use that term because of the negative connotations. I think it specifically refers to a dislike/hatred of mankind, but is sometimes interpreted as hating people at an individual level, or as being sociopathic. I dislike people as a collective group/society/species, but I like persons (i.e. people as individuals). The things I dislike about people are not something that I can blame upon any one person. I feel we are all complicit, and thus my dislike of the human race extends to myself.

I think you can be a misanthrope and still be kind and caring. Kurt Vonnegut's books express misanthropic views, but then one of his often quoted lines is: "There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'"

I related to most of what Ayn Rand wrote about "man haters". I don't know if that term is better or worse than misanthrope. Perhaps worse considering how divisive Ayn Rand seems to be! :mrgreen:
No diagnosis, lots of opinions, and a bunch of issues that I haven't quite figured out.
Platypus
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:14 pm

Postby Black Widow » Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:15 am

Platypus wrote:I related to most of what Ayn Rand wrote about "man haters". I don't know if that term is better or worse than misanthrope. Perhaps worse considering how divisive Ayn Rand seems to be! :mrgreen:

I heard that people that refused to have intercourse with her were accused of not being "objective." :|
It is better to be the widow of a hero than the wife of a coward.
Black Widow
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:14 pm

Postby Platypus » Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:37 am

Tungsten wrote:I heard that people that refused to have intercourse with her were accused of not being "objective." :|

:lol: If this wasn't a mental health support site, here's where I would attempt a joke about Ayn Rand and rape.
No diagnosis, lots of opinions, and a bunch of issues that I haven't quite figured out.
Platypus
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby vertices » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:18 am

Off and on. When I think about it enough, I begin to hate humanity and I hate myself with it. I think I just hate this stupid existence and all we are for being trapped in it. I hate mortality and transience, which are epitomized by humans and life in general.
vertices
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:14 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)

Postby cking » Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:41 am

Hmm, it depends how much I'm exposed to other people, especially emotional, pushy, or ignorant people. I think a lot of things in life are crowded out by very vocal people with very firm opinions not grounded on reason or based in reality. Most of the circles I keep too thankfully don't have these types of people, and I realise I'm not infuriated with them like I am the people who swarm to media circuses or spew their ignorant opinions on crowded forums.

I think any form of isolation will bring a critical outlook with it. Whether that develops into misanthropy or not is more a function of the individual's personality.
cking
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:14 am

Postby Platypus » Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:47 am

cking wrote:I think any form of isolation will bring a critical outlook with it. Whether that develops into misanthropy or not is more a function of the individual's personality.

But does isolation necessarily cause the misanthropy?
Could it not also be the other way around, and that misanthropy provides a motivation for isolation? :wink:
Platypus
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Next

Return to Schizoid Personality Disorder Forum