Our partner

Professions for Schizoids

Schizoid Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderators: WichitaLineman, IceBlock

Professions for Schizoids

Postby indifference » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:34 pm

I was just thinking, what professions do we have that allow us to keep a safe distance from others. Or do you work somewhere where people are always in your space, if so how do you handle it?

I'm a network/system engineer. I normally have a few customers that I manage their networks etc. I work alone for the most part and customers call me when it gets broke. I don't get hassle and my customers seem to like my no BS approach, I.e tell me the problem and get off the phone.

My bosses have always found me quirky and the way I interact with people cold but amusing, basically they couldn't understand why questions got short answers (don't do chit chat) and that I dismissed people from my desk when they had the info they needed. I even went to the effort to explain to some colleagues my issues with personal space, just so they didn't "feel" rejected when I told them to leave my area. Some people took offensive to it and wanted to talk to me about it... What's that about?

Office talk too was a big problem so I got a desk away from people and listened to my iPod when I didn't have to be on the phone. Now I rarely listen to music, I find it just noise, even watching tv seems to frustrate me of late.
Dx: Schizotypal Personality Disorder with ASPD traits

Rx: Abilify 30mg, Escitalopram, Lorazepam, Alprastad

“Schizoid behavior is a pretty common thing in children. It's accepted, because all we adults have this unspoken agreement that children are lunatics.”
― Stephen King
indifference
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:30 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Professions for Schizoids

Postby EtherealStarlight » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:49 am

i'm a cashier, unfortunately. i just try to make it through dealing with OVER 9000 people at a time when i have to run the register, i just sort of grin and bear it and hope i can get off soon. i also try the best i can when i'm working on the sales floor (restocking things, making stuff look pretty, cleaning, doing things in the stockroom, etc, which are all fairly solitary) so that i can do them better and faster than anyone else and i'll be my manager's first choice to put on a sales floor task. i've gotten a lot better at hiding how introverted and solitary i am, and i'm okay and acting friendly. and i spend all my time recharging alone when i get home, or course. >:3

*makes mental note to get my ass in college soon* x.x
EtherealStarlight
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:30 am

Postby Kaia » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:13 pm

I'm studying to become a Civil Engineer. I go to University and then go straight back home. The only reason I'm doing it is just so that I have something to do and it gives my life structure and routine which I like. I don't have to deal with people that much apart from when I have to do group work and the classes are so big that it is easy to be unnoticed. I don't know whether the profession would suit somebody with spd, but when I get there I'll let you all know.
Kaia
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:30 pm

Postby LadyUndeath » Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:53 am

My last job was at a movie theater. I had to do customer service about 1/2 the time. Since our sales was so structured, I just made it a game to see how well I could do each transaction according to the company policy. But I suppose this was only fun for me because I can be such a perfectionist. :)
Also, being an usher at a movie theater is great. Barely any interaction, just lots of sweeping floors.
LadyUndeath
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:30 am

Postby Platypus » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:07 am

indifference wrote:I was just thinking, what professions do we have that allow us to keep a safe distance from others.

I guess it all depends on what you consider a 'safe' distance. :wink:

indifference wrote:Or do you work somewhere where people are always in your space, if so how do you handle it?

I can handle it for a long as I feel I have to. I mean if you need money, you'll put up with a lot...or at least that's what I've found. Now that I've saved-up a bit, I find I am less tolerant and work really grates on me.

Personally I find customers aren't too bad. It's the constancy of co-workers that I find hardest to deal with. Having one of those big corner offices away from everyone might help...except you've then got to accept the responsibility that usually comes with the territory! :lol:

Incidentally, there have been several previous threads on jobs/careers. For those who are interested, try the search function or there are some links in this thread: schizoid-personality/topic67310.html
No diagnosis, lots of opinions, and a bunch of issues that I haven't quite figured out.
Platypus
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:30 am

Postby rasp5erry » Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:22 am

Personally, I want to be a writer. You get to keep long, solitary hours and you can stay at home -- you just have to submit your drafts to your editor on time (through the internet, of course). That's the kind of life I want...

As for the kind of life I have right now, it's quite the opposite. I work in an office, and while I have a relative degree of freedom, sometimes there are a lot of meetings (both internal and with clients). Some days, I fraternize with up to 50 people. It's draining...
rasp5erry
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby kmyers » Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:46 am

Has worked a number of computer related jobs. I have been a computer programmer/operator(AS/400 system) at both evening and day shifts, my last job was computer related but at one of the larger companies in the Waco TX area. I was more of a contact person between the local plant and the corporate offices and the help desk which is now in India. That was a fun job the first two years but a really 'crappy' one the last two years because the Indian help desk was such that priority issue never sank in. I really enjoyed programmer jobs because you were left alone and the same for night system operator for the same. Pay was great, and no dealing with anybody.
kmyers
Consumer 4
Consumer 4

Local time: Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:30 am

Postby uponagreatwave » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:33 am

I'm Bartender at a relatively busy restaurant and i have to deal with people constantly for 6 and a half to 8 hours a day. While most days are pretty draining for me, both mentally and physically, some of them i actually enjoy. i don't mind speaking to costumers most of the time because i try to see how much wordplay and wit i can fit into a conversation, or even an order. I mostly base my social character on Groucho Marx, you see. nobody makes me laugh like i do (which is probably strange to say), so i enjoy entertaining myself. I do get a little uncomfortable when personal questions are asked by my bar costumers, or they start telling me about all their problems in life, even crying, but i usually find a way around answering most of the questions and i can act concerned enough to make them feel better, not that i dont care, but i have a hard time feeling empathy.
of course there are days where i hate having to talk to anyone but my dog, and i loathe working in the service industry.
i've worked as a booth attendant at a garage in the past. it was usually pretty slow with minimal conversation with drivers-by. lots of time to write or read or listen to music or whistle or whatever you do.
i also cleaned aquariums and cages at a pet store, that ruled. then they moved me to sales and i quit.
in conclusion: Booth attendant.
uponagreatwave
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:00 pm

Postby Peachicken » Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:06 pm

Viinasu wrote:i'm a cashier, unfortunately.

I wish all cashiers were schizoid. I hate going to the store...or the bank... UGH small talk! Do you REALLY care how I'm doing? I think not. Nor do I care how you are doing. I also hate when they touch my hand giving back change. I hate touching people more than I hate talking to them. lol! In my prefect world, everybody is a schizoid.

My absolute nightmare is getting my hair cut... Seems half a hairdresser's job is small talk. I know you don't care what my plans for the weekend are. Just stfu and cut my hair.

If only I could get everybody to see it my way!
Peachicken
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby Coltrane » Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:41 am

I have the perfect schizoid job, freelance movie trailer editor who works from home. It took a lot of work building up contacts, but I'm at the point where I haven't seen a client face to face in years. Do all my transactions via fedex and the internet. I even live in another country apart from where most of my clients are based. I'm proficient enough that I only need to work a couple hours a day, earn enough that I can take one or two jobs a month and still be okay. A pretty good scam I got going. :)
Coltrane
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Next

Return to Schizoid Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post