Our partner

Should I voluntarily check myself into a psych ward? Would i

Schizoid Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Should I voluntarily check myself into a psych ward? Would i

Postby Fish & Bird » Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:39 am

I'll start off by saying that I suffer from extreme anxiety, and periods of severe depression (which is linked to my anxiety). I also believe that I may be suffering from bipolar disorder, or maybe even a personality disroder, for I experience pretty wild mood swings at times. There was a period of time where my depression was pretty extreme; I started taking small doses of tylenol, I was constantly having suicidal thoughts, I had the worst self esteem, I believed that people were talking about me behind my back, I would scratch my arm/wrist because I enjoyed the pain, and I was restless and irritable. There was a two month period where I loved life, and I thought that I was past the worst part. Now I can slowly feel these dark depressive thoughts coming back, and I feel like I'm becoming the same person that I was before. I'm planning to start a therapy program (my first appointment is next week), but do you think that admitting myself to a psych ward for a short period of time would be helpful as well? I really don't want to be in the same frame of mind that I was in before. I'll do whatever it takes to prevent such extreme waves of depression from taking me over again. Also, do you think that I might be experiencing symptoms of bipolar disorder? Maybe even a personality disorder? It definitely feels like more than anxious depression. I realize that I should probably talk to my therapist about all of this, but some input from people who aren't professional social workers is sometimes just as good if not better! Thanks, everybody!
Fish & Bird
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:48 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Should I voluntarily check myself into a psych ward? Wou

Postby Black Dove » Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:18 pm

What are you hoping an inpatient hospital stay will accomplish?
I was hung from a tree made of tongues of the weak
the branches were bones of the liars, the thieves
Rise up above it, high up above it and see
Black Dove
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:48 am

Postby Fish & Bird » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:17 am

I am hoping that it'll be a little break from reality, and the demanding/stressful outside world. Also if somebody is monitoring me night and day, it might help me break the habit of scratching/cutting my arms/wrists.I'm not looking to stay there for a very long time; Maybe a few weeks at the very most. I'm not sure how unrealistic this idea is, so honest answers are definitely appreciated!
Fish & Bird
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby Feathers » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:46 am

Fish & Bird wrote:I am hoping that it'll be a little break from reality, and the demanding/stressful outside world. Also if somebody is monitoring me night and day, it might help me break the habit of scratching/cutting my arms/wrists.I'm not looking to stay there for a very long time; Maybe a few weeks at the very most. I'm not sure how unrealistic this idea is, so honest answers are definitely appreciated!

Hospitals tend to be for people who are in immediate danger to themselves or others. They tend not to admit people just for depression. They also like to limit stays to days rather than weeks to avoid institutionalisation.

Personally I don't think they would admit you unless you were seriously on the verge of suicide. And even then, sometimes they won't.

Kaz x
♪Sheets are swaying from an old clothes line
Like a row of captured ghosts♪

Kaz (21, host)
Sophie (19, sexual)
Aaron (22, intelligent, gender issues)
& many more.

Meds:
Lamotrigine, 150mg.
Seroquel, 50mg.
Feathers
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Blog: View Blog (53)

Postby notmyfault » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:22 am

Umm, maybe you could look into something less drastic? Like getting help from a psychologist and just taking a couple of weeks off to rest?
notmyfault
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:48 am

Postby EtherealStarlight » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:58 pm

i'm sorry to hear that you're going through a rough time. D:

like kazine said, psych wards are usually meant to treat those who are dangerous to themselves or others. if you feel that you are very suicidal or are cutting yourself very badly, it might be a good idea. if not, i would think that therapy or medication would help you more. maybe you could try calling a suicide hotline or talking with someone you trust too?

i don't know much of anything about self-injury, but if you want to break the habit, why not try to do something other than cutting to make yourself feel better? play loud music, go for a walk, talk to someone else about how you feel, etc. maybe you could go and be around other people whenever you feel like cutting until it goes away. maybe?

also, maybe the borderline personality or depression forums would have been a better place to put this. i see that you're new here... i could be wrong, but you don't sound much like you have schizoid personality disorder. schizoids are loners, either barely have or barely show their emotions, can't stand much social interaction and don't have many friends, and are indifferent. you do sound like you may be borderline or paranoid, though.

of course, we're happy to try to help you here, but you might benefit more from people who might be going through what you're going through. you can look up a description of the disorder at the top of the forum and see if it sounds like you. and if you're going to therapy, a doctor would be the best one to diagnose you. we have the opposite problem that you do, we don't care about much of anything! XD

bpd forum: http://www.psychforums.com/borderline-personality/
depression forum: http://www.psychforums.com/depression/

hope that helps, and good luck! <3
EtherealStarlight
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:48 am

Postby Platypus » Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:23 pm

Welcome Fish & Bird,

I've sorry to hear that you are finding life so demanding and stressful at the moment. :(

Bipolar Disorder and Schizoid Personality Disorder are quite different disorders.
In addition to the links Viinasu gave you, you may also like to look at the Bipolar Disorder and the Cutting and Self Injury forums.

Please take care of yourself and I hope you can find the help you need.
No diagnosis, lots of opinions, and a bunch of issues that I haven't quite figured out.
Platypus
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:48 pm

Postby Fish & Bird » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:48 pm

I can't remember why I posted this forum in "Schizoid personality disorder", but I didn't realize until afterwards that this is not the proper place. :P Either way, your responses were very helpful so thank you for that! I really do appreciate it.
Fish & Bird
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Return to Schizoid Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post