Our partner

Living in a fantasy world, does that mean I have SPD?

Schizoid Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderators: WichitaLineman, IceBlock

Living in a fantasy world, does that mean I have SPD?

Postby liveinafantasy » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:05 pm

Hi, I'm female and I guess I'm just trying to figure out why I can't stop living in a fantasy world, at the moment. You see, I have this "certain world" that I keep going back to in my head, and if I can't live there, then life isn't worth living. It's not even like I can make this world a reality either, I can't even write about it...it's that "magical". I make up all my characters in my head, and I'm usually the main character, but I don't do much. Sometimes (in real life), I'll be doing really simple tasks during the day and I'll just start thinking about this world so much, that I cant stand it. I'll either start to cry, or I'll start to literally believe that things in this world are flat and fake. I have a lot of derealization and depersonalization issues in general, so that may be part of it. Anyways this world basically consists of: me being in college (Or just being on my own, but not doing anything), being in the 80's, being in the season of Autmn ALL the time, and having mental-health problems but being able to get on in with life as normal even with them. Also, in this world I'll have a lot of friends and can get lonely. But even when I'm sad, I'm happy. It's weird. Does this sound ANYTHING like SPD? Sorry if I sound crazy, it's DRIVING me crazy!

Please, someone answer this!

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by Platypus on Fri May 20, 2011 6:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: PM to follow
liveinafantasy
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:03 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Living in a fantasy world, does that mean I have SPD?

Postby warriv » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:42 pm

I cant help that much, go contact professional but i can tell something

it can be many things but for two things i know for sure = schizoid personality and asperger syndrom peeps create their fantasy worlds

i live in fantasy worlds too, it started loooong time ago when i was about 8-10 years old and same as you i have a main lead in my fantasy, so its more like SPD side of fantasy cuz people with asperger create complex worlds that does not include themselves

watch this/ SPD : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5Q8itWn ... ideo_title

and this/ asperger : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OV_CcmLl ... ideo_title
warriv
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Postby EtherealStarlight » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:57 pm

liveinafantasy wrote:Hi, I'm female and I guess I'm just trying to figure out why I can't stop living in a fantasy world, at the moment. You see, I have this "certain world" that I keep going back to in my head, and if I can't live there, then life isn't worth living. It's not even like I can make this world a reality either, I can't even write about it...it's that "magical". I make up all my characters in my head, and I'm usually the main character, but I don't do much. Sometimes (in real life), I'll be doing really simple tasks during the day and I'll just start thinking about this world so much, that I cant stand it. I'll either start to cry, or I'll start to literally believe that things in this world are flat and fake. I have a lot of derealization and depersonalization issues in general, so that may be part of it. Anyways this world basically consists of: me being in college (Or just being on my own, but not doing anything), being in the 80's, being in the season of Autmn ALL the time, and having mental-health problems but being able to get on in with life as normal even with them. Also, in this world I'll have a lot of friends and can get lonely. But even when I'm sad, I'm happy. It's weird. Does this sound ANYTHING like SPD? Sorry if I sound crazy, it's DRIVING me crazy!

Please, someone answer this!

Thanks in advance.

well, you should probably go and read the symptoms for schizoid personality disorder, and see if that matches you well. i think the whole fantasy thing is just a symptom, rather than a disorder or whatever. i do something similar to what you're describing too... but i'm sure there are more people who do it than just schizoids.
EtherealStarlight
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:03 pm

Postby Haldar » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:28 pm

well, you should probably go and read the symptoms for schizoid personality disorder, and see if that matches you well. i think the whole fantasy thing is just a symptom, rather than a disorder or whatever. i do something similar to what you're describing too... but i'm sure there are more people who do it than just schizoids.

I wouldn't go so far as to call it a symptom, rather something that is just more common among Schizoids.

If you have read the list of symptoms and the whole fantasy thing is all that you can relate to than your probably in the wrong place.
Haldar
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Local time: Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:03 am

Postby loonybean » Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:04 pm

The entire reason I came to this site was to figure out what my fantasies were all about. To be honest, I thought they were the disorder, but now I know they are only a symptom of that disorder. I'll say right up front that I'm a self diagnosed schizoid, but I didn't come to that conclusion because of the fantasies. Everything else just seemed to fit.

You need to make sure that you are displaying the vast majority of symptoms related to this order before you can label yourself as something and even then you may not be right. Self diagnosis is a crapshoot on the best of days.

As far as the actual fantasies, mine started when I was very very young and have pretty much taken over my life. I'm completely functional, hold down a full time job, have a social life (with a whopping two people lol), but almost all my time spent alone is dedicated to fantasies or influencing fantasies by watching TV/movies, listening to music and reading books.

I believe avoidants also have fantasies.

LB
loonybean
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:03 pm

Postby warriv » Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:59 am

loonybean wrote:The entire reason I came to this site was to figure out what my fantasies were all about. To be honest, I thought they were the disorder, but now I know they are only a symptom of that disorder. I'll say right up front that I'm a self diagnosed schizoid, but I didn't come to that conclusion because of the fantasies. Everything else just seemed to fit.

You need to make sure that you are displaying the vast majority of symptoms related to this order before you can label yourself as something and even then you may not be right. Self diagnosis is a crapshoot on the best of days.

As far as the actual fantasies, mine started when I was very very young and have pretty much taken over my life. I'm completely functional, hold down a full time job, have a social life (with a whopping two people lol), but almost all my time spent alone is dedicated to fantasies or influencing fantasies by watching TV/movies, listening to music and reading books.

I believe avoidants also have fantasies.

LB

yea avoidants are extreme form of social anxiety disorder and they also may have fantasy worlds only by the fact that its a personality disorder and its lifetime like every other personality disorders
and for social anxiety disorder im not sure, never red anywhere that they can develop fantasy worlds....i will try to google some info. about that later but as far as i know they dont have that symptom (if i may call fantasy a symptom)

my point of view on this, lets say my theory :

we humans are all sociable creatures, we are all born this way and its the way that it has to be cuz its written in our DNA...thats the way we are, we act, we feel, we need other humans

(did you know that when baby is born and no one touches her it dies) - defensive mechanism

but many of us fail at that cuz of personality disorders and so on and so on (this all illnesses are created by this ###$ up world system
make money,spend money, do this,do that, sign this etc... life is just fast and if you dont find your way you are screwd and will be ###$ both mentally and physical)

so some people create fantasy worlds in two main reasons (my theory on fantasy worlds, why some of us do this ?)

1. when something stressful happens or when anxiety hops in we can escape into fantasy just to feel better and safe, so its like a shutdown from real world and escape into fantasy where everything is perfect and life is good but in fact life is big #######4 and its all our fault (peoples fault) we invented this fast style of living, i will not be suprised if depression becomes number one sickness in the world, the main ######6 problem
its all stress and stress neverending stress
life is hard and you all know that (and its hard cuz we made it so)

2. our brain do it cuz its a defensive mechanism, so our brain defending himself/body against feeling crappy and depressed and lonely and expecialy against other illnesses that can be caused by acute anxiety and stress
it protects whole body and nervous system cuz we lower many symptoms of depression, anxiety, stress trought fantasy worlds
our brain projecting these images/videos so real that we have feeling like we are realy there so we feel better in many ways

anxiety,stress can harm our body in many ways, we even can develop physical illnesses (like i sad up there but nvm. lol)

lol, this is just my stupid opinion, hope someone will like it or just throw a bone at me or piss down my throat
warriv
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Postby liveinafantasy » Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:23 pm

Thanks for all the replies! :)

loonybean: I looked at the signs of SPD, and some of them fit...some don't.

>Does not experience strong emotions
>Does not desire or enjoy close relationships - I don't desire them.
Avoids social activities that involve significant interpersonal contact
>Feelings of detachment or estrangement from others
Has no close friends - That one is not true.
Indifferent to praise or criticism -I'm sensitive to criticism.
>Aloof, cold affect - Sometimes.
Exhibits little observable change in mood - No.
>As noted above, people with schizoid personality disorder maintain contact with reality.

I looked at the "Avoidant-personality-disorder" signs as well:

>Easily hurt by criticism or disapproval
Has no close friends
Reluctant to become involved with people
Avoids activities or occupations that involve contact with others
Shy in social situations out of fear of doing something wrong
>Exaggerates potential difficulties

I really don't have many of the signs there, to be honest. Could it be possible I'm borderline? I've always had very unstable relationships in fear that my friends/family would leave me. But, does fantasy fit in with borderline? Fantasy worlds is my biggest concern here.

Thanks again! :)
liveinafantasy
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Postby redhorse » Sun May 01, 2011 7:48 pm

You should check out the term maladaptive daydreaming.
redhorse
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Postby Vady5 » Mon May 02, 2011 4:11 pm

Maladaptive Daydreaming.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Po3uHDC29Ec&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKcPmGbk ... re=related

She rambles a bit. :?

Mango wrote:I would also like to add that there is also a condition called maladaptive daydreaming that can often occur in people with AvPD (as it has with me).
It's severe daydreaming that occupies the majority of your life, elaborate imaginary worlds, lives & scenarios played out mentally & very commanly physically as well.
It is only just gaining attention & getting researched by the medical community.

http://daydreamingdisorder.webs.com/
But without the ongoing dramas and plots and characters I've imagined, there would be nothing to latch my feelings on to. ~ biscuits

You do not even need to quantify it or label it. You can just be you, and love the person you love. ~ Jennywocky
Vady5
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:03 pm

Postby ragtime » Mon May 02, 2011 8:16 pm

Can someone explain to me what they mean by a fantasy world? I'm finding it a bit hard to understand, more so since I am unaware of even dreaming in the past 10 years or so.
Causality. There is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the why. Why is what separates us from them.
ragtime
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:03 pm

Next

Return to Schizoid Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post