Our partner

can you have two personality disorders at the same time?

Schizoid Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderators: WichitaLineman, IceBlock

can you have two personality disorders at the same time?

Postby EtherealStarlight » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:43 pm

hi everyone! n.n

i was wondering if you can have more than one personality disorder? i think that i am both schizoid and avoidant...

when i was fourteen, i was diagnosed with schizoid personality disorder. since i was about ten or so, i started really having difficulty having friends... i'm really bad at having a conversation with other people... it's like, i don't know what to do, or what i should say to them to make it interesting. i guess i want other people to like me, but i just have no idea what to do. i lost all my friends eventually, i just had such a hard time with it that i kind of shut down my social life and kept to myself. my parents hardly gave me any freedom growing up, which made me just kind of shut down and stop caring about anything even more... i kind of started hating my emotions and wishing i could shut them off. i don't like showing my emotions to other people, it just feels violating and like i'm sharing very personal information with them, even if it's a good emotion or it's appropriate for the situation. i'm VERY quiet and reserved, and i hardly talk in social settings. when i do, i usually mess it up, lol. XD my parents worried about me, and took me to a few doctors. the first one thought i had mild autism, the second thought i was schizoid. growing up, i felt like i didn't want any friends, that people just lead to problems and that i was better off flying solo. it's hard to describe, but it was sort of like there was me living in a shell... like, i built up mental walls around myself, and i just kept most of my thoughts and feelings to myself and didn't let anyone else in. i always chose solitary activities, and other wonderful schizoid stuff. XD

and then i moved out of the house, and i got a good internet connection.

i became a member on a forum of a site that i watched anime on a lot, and i made a lot of online friends. it was like all the problems i had with conversation, showing my emotions, being outgoing, and being myself just melted away. it was so easy to socialize online! i didn't care if anyone didn't like me or what i had to say or thought i was stupid.... and it made me realize that i really DID want friends and to be loved by others. i'm really close to these people i know online, really active in the forums, and i get on skype with my online friends a lot. now i wish that i had some offline friends, or that my online friends were offline, but i don't know how to make friends in rl. every time i try to have a good conversation with other people, it usually ends in awkward failure. i'm very shy because of this. my self-esteem isn't that great because of it, but i don't feel like i'm at rock-bottom self-esteem like i've heard that avoidants are supposed to be. i'm good at a lot of things outside of the social sphere, so it's not too bad...

sometimes i feel like i really want friends and to be attached to other people, and other times i'm perfectly happy with being alone. i want love, but when i get too much social interaction, it exhausts me and i just want to go off by myself. it's sort of like i'm both avoidant and schizoid. O.o

i'm wondering... do most schizoids feel like this, is this normal for us? if not, does anyone think i'm avoidant too? can you have more than one personality disorder?

thanks for reading, and sorry about the wall of text. XD <3333333333333333333333
EtherealStarlight
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:46 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: can you have two personality disorders at the same time?

Postby SteelSovereignty » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:22 am

I was actually talking about this with my friend the other day! He's very into psychology and all that jazz. Keep in mind he's just first year psychology so take it with a grain of salt or whatever. He was talking about how it's actually pretty rare for someone to be cookie cutter one Personality/Emotional Disorder and not at least a little of another. So yeah, it's totally possible. If you look around this board a little bit you'll find a lot of people who consider themselves schizoid but still have strong emotions. I know that in particular Reynolds and Tongue are having a pretty deep discussion about something similar right now too.

As for it being a lot easier/better to talk on the internet, I totally agree. My hypothesis is that it comes from the ability of the reader to interpret the text in a tone that is best suited for them. As opposed to offline where facial expression and tone of voice could make the same sentence seem completely different.

Either way, welcome to the board!
SteelSovereignty
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Postby EtherealStarlight » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:29 am

SteelSovereignty wrote:I was actually talking about this with my friend the other day! He's very into psychology and all that jazz. Keep in mind he's just first year psychology so take it with a grain of salt or whatever. He was talking about how it's actually pretty rare for someone to be cookie cutter one Personality/Emotional Disorder and not at least a little of another. So yeah, it's totally possible. If you look around this board a little bit you'll find a lot of people who consider themselves schizoid but still have strong emotions. I know that in particular Reynolds and Tongue are having a pretty deep discussion about something similar right now too.

As for it being a lot easier/better to talk on the internet, I totally agree. My hypothesis is that it comes from the ability of the reader to interpret the text in a tone that is best suited for them. As opposed to offline where facial expression and tone of voice could make the same sentence seem completely different.

Either way, welcome to the board!

@.@ oh, that does make sense! thanks for your reply, and thank you! i guess i've changed a lot since i moved out of my parent's house, i can't decide how i feel about relationships with others. XD

honestly, i'm surprised to hear that many schizoids don't have strong emotions.... i just felt like we keep them hidden all the time, that's what i do. O.o well, i guess they come out sometimes, but you know what i mean....

anyways, thanks! n.n
EtherealStarlight
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby effre44 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:45 am

It sounds like you have more of Avoidant Personality than Schizoid.

I was a bit like that when I was younger but when you get older you learn to just accept things as they are.

You need to stop trying to be someone your not and just accept yourself as you are. Like someone on these forums has said before .. "You can never escape who you really are".

Once you stop caring about things, you have no worries. Who cares if your a loner? I think all of us on here are. I am, and I don't care about showing it either. It's who I am. I don't bother anyone, so I don't see why it's a problem.

Why do you want friends so much? Do you need validation that your a good person? Noones opinion of you matters but your own. How is another person supposed to make you happy? Noone is really happy anyway; the people that are happiest are the ones who can accept what they have and not what they don't have.

You say you have low self-esteem. In regards to what? Your just a person like everyone else. We are all equal. Noone is better than anyone else regardless of sex, social status & race etc.

Your just being entrapped by the media/peer pressure etc and how society expects you to be. Don't listen to it. This is why we have mental illness. Society doesn't let people be themselves. You have to be like everyone else. Screw it. Who cares. You just do whatever it is you want to do.
effre44
Consumer 4
Consumer 4

Local time: Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:46 am

Postby EtherealStarlight » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:18 pm

effre44 wrote:It sounds like you have more of Avoidant Personality than Schizoid.

I was a bit like that when I was younger but when you get older you learn to just accept things as they are.

You need to stop trying to be someone your not and just accept yourself as you are. Like someone on these forums has said before .. "You can never escape who you really are".

Once you stop caring about things, you have no worries. Who cares if your a loner? I think all of us on here are. I am, and I don't care about showing it either. It's who I am. I don't bother anyone, so I don't see why it's a problem.

Why do you want friends so much? Do you need validation that your a good person? Noones opinion of you matters but your own. How is another person supposed to make you happy? Noone is really happy anyway; the people that are happiest are the ones who can accept what they have and not what they don't have.

You say you have low self-esteem. In regards to what? Your just a person like everyone else. We are all equal. Noone is better than anyone else regardless of sex, social status & race etc.

Your just being entrapped by the media/peer pressure etc and how society expects you to be. Don't listen to it. This is why we have mental illness. Society doesn't let people be themselves. You have to be like everyone else. Screw it. Who cares. You just do whatever it is you want to do.

i'm really not sure if i want friends or not.... it just varies on how i'm feeling. one day i want them and i feel lonely, the next i just want everyone to leave me alone.... i definitely get my fill of social interaction pretty fast. XD i feel like i'm a little of both.

oddly enough for a schizoid, other people's opinions matter a lot to me... i always try not to care when someone disapproves of what i do or who i am, and it's way easier said than done. i know you're right, but it still really bothers me when i'm disliked. which makes it hard to accept myself for who i am... sometimes i don't feel like i even know myself too well, despite being introverted to the max.

thanks for your answer! it's great that you're happy with who you are.... i'd like to feel the way you do someday... <3

i do feel like i'm a schizoid though... maybe i just have the whole schizoid hunger thing worse than a lot of others do... but yeah. i feel like i'm both equally. O.o
EtherealStarlight
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Reynolds » Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:46 am

self delete
Last edited by Reynolds on Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reynolds
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:46 pm

Postby ponygirl » Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:02 am

Reynolds, Contentment is Good. You can go far on contentment. 8)

I don't know about more that one Personsality Disororder at once. Really, the Schizoid thing is enough, don't you think? How much can God hate you? :evil: But with Schizoid can come a whole host of complimentary problems: sociel anxiety, depression, self esteem/image issues. I have found that in therapy it is these hanger-on-er issues one spends most of his/her time working through.

Just my two cents. Peace.

PS
I'm pretty sure it is possible, as much as it would suck. Especially if you are dealing with a multiple personality disorder. :shock:
Last edited by ponygirl on Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
Marriage is a great institution. I'm just not ready for an institution yet. Mae West
ponygirl
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Local time: Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:46 pm

Postby face » Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:56 am

ponygirl wrote:
Just my two sense. Peace.

lol I like how you put that. :wink:
I think it is possible to have PDs at once, or perhaps sufficient traits of each PD to mean you have both. It would be odd to think that personalities are discrete categories rather than existing on a continuum.
face
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby Reynolds » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:30 pm

self delete
Last edited by Reynolds on Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reynolds
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:46 pm

Postby imaduck » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:58 am

wouldn't we then have to assume that "personality disorders" actually exist beyond the purpose of categorization?

focus on the symptoms themselves--the name isn't necessary in understanding one's self.
imaduck
Consumer 4
Consumer 4

Next

Return to Schizoid Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post