Our partner

SPD and Philosophy

Schizoid Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Re: SPD and Philosophy

Postby viewwell » Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:24 pm

i've encountered some names from different sources who could've been schizoids. i don't know much about camus' personality, but his name often came up. i'd personally suspect spinoza & wittgenstein might've been schizoids, & rorty looked like a schizoid in his interviews as well (youtube)

as to my own philosophical views, i'd subscribe to late wittgenstein. ' philosophical investigations' & 'of certainty' are very special books imo. so, wittgenstein ftw
I'm sorry my existence isn't very noble or sublime. - Keanu Reeves
viewwell
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:41 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Postby Dazz » Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:31 pm

I find reading other peoples philosophy as a whole to be boring and uninteresting, my own philosophical thoughts are much more interesting. Philosophical ideas and themes are more interesting in fiction imo e.g. Satres fictional work like Nausea is far more interesting and philosophically simulating than he's non-fiction, even though I prefer non-fictional books.

I don't even like discussing philosophy, people always seem to talk about other peoples philosophies (mostly dead peoples) instead of talking about their own. Its as if all there ideas are just borrowed from others and they haven't come up with anything themselves.

The only philosopher I've always enjoyed reading, their whole books (as opposed to reading excerpts, quotes or essays/profiles on philosophers), is Nietzsche who I discovered at around the age of 16/17 and instantly found someone after my own heart, he is the only philosopher that has had a profound affect on my life.

I haven't really bovered to check out philosophers since I was about 20/21, I've heard about certain people but to invest the time seemed/seems pointless, though I think I'll try and force myself to check out some people like Emil Cioran, if only as a personal task to attempt to decrease my avolition and increase my interests.
Dazz
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:41 pm

Postby muaddib » Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:58 am

lindi wrote:Anyway, I think Kierkegaard is overlooked too much, because people tend to be like "religious guy, I'll pass... ".

Kierkegaard is the man. The details are kind of a messed-up story, but reading Fear and Trembling was actually what cured my depression. There's more Western* philosophy that I'd like to study, but so far, everything that has really stuck with me was existentialist/absurdist. I did read Wittgenstein's Tractatus though, and it was interesting... confusing, but interesting.

For this forum though, I'm not really surprised that existentialism comes up a lot. I could see Classical Stoicism and Cynicism, and Buddhism appealing to people here too. Just wondering though, is anyone else here interested in some other older philosophical schools? I'd really like to study more Confucianism and Daoism, but I'm also fond of Upanishadic Indian philosophy & mysticism. Another Chinese school I think sounds interesting is Mohism, though there isn't much of a written record anymore (kind of like with Heraclitus).
“Oh Freedom! You are a bad dream!” - Heinrich Heine
muaddib
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:41 am

Postby ganbaru » Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:12 am

muaddib wrote:I'd really like to study more ... Daoism

and here we are again...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zhuangzi wrote:The Zhuangzi (book) (莊子), an ancient Chinese collection of anecdotes and fables, one of the foundational texts of Daoism

:D
ganbaru
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby muaddib » Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:59 am

anachronic wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zhuangzi wrote:The Zhuangzi (book) (莊子), an ancient Chinese collection of anecdotes and fables, one of the foundational texts of Daoism

I know, I know :lol: I'm actually re-reading The Republic right now for weird theoretical reasons. I haven't even made it to the Five Chinese Classics yet, but I'll go ahead and bump that up to the top of my list. I know I've read the "butterfly dream" story and a couple other things though. Does that book include when the guy finds the skull in the cave? Then he pulls a Yorick and starts talking to the skull about how no state of being in nature is better or worse?
muaddib
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby ganbaru » Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:49 am

muaddib wrote:Does that book include when the guy finds the skull in the cave? Then he pulls a Yorick and starts talking to the skull about how no state of being in nature is better or worse?

probably. it sounds like the kind of thing you would find in that book. there's a lot of boring stuff though, which is probably a "lost in translation" effect, since it's not even just chinese to english translation, but ancient chinese to english, and it's full of references to chinese mythology, which is all about ideal emperors and that kind of thing (i.e. boring). from the point of view of a modern reader (who doesn't know anything about it), it feels like they're trying to promote the values of that mythology, but it's more likely that they were mocking it instead

so i can't say i remember much of it... i just remember that it was interesting despite being so boring most of the time
ganbaru
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby viewwell » Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:07 am

muaddib wrote:
lindi wrote:Anyway, I think Kierkegaard is overlooked too much, because people tend to be like "religious guy, I'll pass... ".

Kierkegaard is the man. The details are kind of a messed-up story, but reading Fear and Trembling was actually what cured my depression. There's more Western* philosophy that I'd like to study, but so far, everything that has really stuck with me was existentialist/absurdist. I did read Wittgenstein's Tractatus though, and it was interesting... confusing, but interesting.

For this forum though, I'm not really surprised that existentialism comes up a lot. I could see Classical Stoicism and Cynicism, and Buddhism appealing to people here too. Just wondering though, is anyone else here interested in some other older philosophical schools? I'd really like to study more Confucianism and Daoism, but I'm also fond of Upanishadic Indian philosophy & mysticism. Another Chinese school I think sounds interesting is Mohism, though there isn't much of a written record anymore (kind of like with Heraclitus).

existentialism isn't quite my thing, but i'd also advise you to read two "classic" texts of existentialism (if you haven't already): sartre's existentialism is humanism & camus' the myth of sisyphos. In addition maybe try reading william james' lectures on pragmatism: a new name for some old ways of thinking

yes, tractatus still gets the main attention, when it comes to wittgenstein's work. but i'd encourage you to read some late-wittgenstein which is completely different from tractatus, in fact he takes almost the opposite direction in his philosophical investigations & of certainty. some would also say his later work isn't philosophy at all, it's different from pretty much everything else
I'm sorry my existence isn't very noble or sublime. - Keanu Reeves
viewwell
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:41 pm

Postby pit » Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:34 pm

I was into Nietzshe back in high school and The Satanic Bible back in my college days. Currently I am reading The Conspiracy Against The Human Race by Thomas Ligotti.
pit
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby muaddib » Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:08 pm

viewwell wrote:existentialism isn't quite my thing, but i'd also advise you to read two "classic" texts of existentialism (if you haven't already): sartre's existentialism is humanism & camus' the myth of sisyphos.

I've still not read anything by Sartre actually, but I'm a huge Camus fan. My favorite part of The Myth of Sisyphus was when he started analyzing different characteristic reactions to absurdity. Exile and The Kingdom and The Plague are really what got me into Camus though, and then The Rebel just sealed the deal. I've heard people say I'd like Sartre, but I'm skeptical so more Nietzsche, Kierkegaard, and Dostoyevsky's The Idiot are all higher priority for me.

viewwell wrote:In addition maybe try reading william james' lectures on pragmatism: a new name for some old ways of thinking

I've never read anything by either of the James brothers or John Dewey actually. Funny thing about the American education system, but the schools here seem to do their best not to talk about the Transcendentalists or the Pragmatists in depth, even though they're more American than apple pie or the automobile. It's almost as if... they don't want you thinking for yourself... gee, I wonder why? :roll:

viewwell wrote:yes, tractatus still gets the main attention, when it comes to wittgenstein's work. but i'd encourage you to read some late-wittgenstein which is completely different from tractatus

Duly noted and on my list. No guarantee I'll ever get to it though :mrgreen:

pit wrote:I was into Nietzshe back in high school and The Satanic Bible back in my college days. Currently I am reading The Conspiracy Against The Human Race by Thomas Ligotti.

Wow. I'm kind of going the exact opposite direction... maybe it's a circle and we'll bump into each other again? Just wondering though, you still into the satanist thing? What's that like? I could have sworn randomly reading somewhere, maybe on Wikipedia, that Anton LaVey once said that his satanism was pretty much Ayn Rand libertarianism + pentagrams.
muaddib
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby MacBuddhaBurger » Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:59 pm

Chuang Tzu is good.

However.......

Try:The Crystal and The Way of Light

The young have aspirations that never come to pass, the old have reminiscences of what never happened.
MacBuddhaBurger
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Blog: View Blog (13)

PreviousNext

Return to Schizoid Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post