Our partner

How do you explain to friends & family?

Schizoid Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderators: WichitaLineman, IceBlock

Re: How do you explain to friends & family?

Postby ponygirl » Tue May 10, 2011 12:43 pm

I am not a secret schizoid and never have been. Everyone in my family knew there was something off about me. When they finally had a name for it, I think they were more relieved than me.

Of course they wanted to know what exactly being a Schizoid meant, and the simplest answer that I could come up with was that I am the kind of loner that will eventually disappear and become a hermit. People and all their dramas are just too difficult for me.

Unless they are motivated to reaserch the condition in depth, they will never have a firm grasp on what it is like for a Schizoid. Most people, I have found, are not very motivated. :roll:
Marriage is a great institution. I'm just not ready for an institution yet. Mae West
ponygirl
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Local time: Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:47 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Postby JPKAS » Tue May 10, 2011 7:12 pm

Oh gosh. I'm too confused to explain anything XD! But I have trouble even explaining 'hey something isn't right with me I don't think' . They know I've had trouble wtih depression,but I don't think they get it.. My mom said 'oh you don't need to be getting that way' like I can help it. Trust me if I could, I wouldn't be getting that way. Duh. My sister doesn't get it either. My friends are at least supportive...

I'm going to have to go to a professional and get a diagnosis for them to ever believe me. Though I have been diagnosed with depression, they stil don't understand that. Maybe if I get diagnosed with a more permanent sounding thing then they'll believe me. I dunno. :C
I am an art Student : )

Diagnosis: Depressive Disorder NOS, Personality Disorder NOS

Call me Joan : 3
JPKAS
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:47 am

Postby marycarterpaint » Wed May 11, 2011 3:06 pm

Irukandji wrote:Is the next step to embrace my SPD & to stop trying to be who I think everyone around me wants me to be? I am afraid that it might end up being more of an inconvenience than anything.. but is it something that has to be done?

is it inconvenient to wake up in the morning and know that your lifestyle is in harmony with your 'personality' and that you do not face a task list riddled with dreaded tasks involving personal contact, especially with norms?

better to align your inner life with your outer, to the extent that you can.

true explanations to norms serve little purpose. Better to craft a story that they can relate to, like, "I have felt the need to withdraw for a time from the distractions of society, so that I can consider my role in society. I expect to spend time in prayerful contemplation, as I thoughtfully consider these issues. Thank you for your concern, but you do not need to worry, and I look forward to sharing all that I learn and discover with you and everyone else I count among my friends at the proper time."

dunno, that might work.
I never gave anybody hell! I just told the truth and they thought it was hell.
- Truman
marycarterpaint
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:17 am

Postby JPKAS » Wed May 11, 2011 3:09 pm

hahah or 'I just don't like people that much' .

JPKAS
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Tongue » Wed May 11, 2011 6:58 pm

im debating this right now, im 34 years old and im sure many people just are curious as to why i am the way i am...why do i isolate so much, why am i so seemingly apathetic, why do i not care to seek out sex or relationships at all etc etc....im sure many people are curious as to why i dont seem to want much of anything in life...i almost feel a certain need right now to somewhat explain this to family and acquaintances...problem is im confused as to why i am like this as well and it will be very hard to honestly explain why i isolate and dont seem to need others...how do you explain to others that they bore you or that sex with a woman doesnt mean much?how do you explain to them the apathy and anhedonia and come out expecting them to come close to understanding?95% of people would come away thinking you are 'crazy' .....maybe we are in a way..
Tongue
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Local time: Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:47 am

Postby JPKAS » Wed May 11, 2011 7:01 pm

How about 'my wants aren't your wants or the wants of those around you'. I've been told I need to get a date :C! So I just say 'no I don't . That's not important to me.'

JPKAS
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Tongue » Wed May 11, 2011 8:27 pm

^^its not that simple though..when one has such an offbeat personality people will want reasons as to why or how....and plus, a schizoid doesnt seem to want much of anything out of life...at least in my case i seem to only mildly enjoy 2-3 things in life, solitary things..i mean, sex is the supposed to be the ultimate of the human experience in terms of pleasure so someone not wanting that is bizarre...
Tongue
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Postby JPKAS » Wed May 11, 2011 8:34 pm

haha Supossed to be..to them..not to you. What you want isn't what they want. They need to at least respect that even if they can't understand it. Yes, it is odd to not want sex when the majority does, but anything the majority doesn't have/want is going to be considered odd.
And if sex is the utmost pleasure..then....I don't even know what I'm sticking around for XD!

To me it's that simple. Either they'll accept it or they wont' . If they don't you're still you anyway regardless.

I guess it's not that simple actually explaining it in a way they can understand completely or even just explainging it in the first place..but really when you cut away all the crap that's how it is. You are who you are and they are who they are.

JPKAS
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Tongue » Wed May 11, 2011 8:56 pm

oh no I even find schizoid pd to be strange.lol.how i got this way or if i was born this way i often wonder..is my schizoid a result of some other disorder etc etc...schizoid or not you cannot see SPd symptoms and not think something is badly wired or broken somewhere..whethers its a disorder or just me i cant even answer...
Tongue
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Postby JPKAS » Wed May 11, 2011 9:14 pm

Yeah. I look at myself and can't help but feel that something went wrong someplace since I think I stick out.

JPKAS
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

PreviousNext

Return to Schizoid Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies