Our partner

Famous People

Schizoid Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderators: WichitaLineman, IceBlock

Famous People

Postby AirLiteTimeSpace » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:08 pm

Are there any famous people who you feel you identify with? I see this as a somewhat silly question, because not many schizoid-like people would be inclined to achieve fame. I can think of two writers, however, whose works I do identify with on a significant level: Charles Bukowski and Fernando Pessoa. Bukowski was a notorious misanthrope and alcoholic who starved (because he simply couldn't accept the nine-to-five lifestyle, and the people involved) until he became known as a poet in his fifties, and Pessoa was a daydreamy bookkeeper in Lisbon who sought to renounce external life and live almost entirely within himself, in his carefully constructed internal landscape.

Have any of you experienced similar connections to famous figures?
This is not an exit.
AirLiteTimeSpace
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:59 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Famous People

Postby Xuridas » Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:04 pm

I kinda identify with Franz Kafka a bit. However, he had it much worse than I do. I really do like this quote of his:

“You can hold yourself back from the sufferings of the world, that is something you are free to do and it accords with your nature, but perhaps this very holding back is the one suffering you could avoid.”

I have an idea of what it means, but I'm not sure if it's correct.
I'm just wierd like that.
Xuridas
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:59 am

Postby Black Dove » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:51 pm

Mama Cass
I was hung from a tree made of tongues of the weak
the branches were bones of the liars, the thieves
Rise up above it, high up above it and see
Black Dove
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:59 am

Postby tfrzero » Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:44 am

Johannes Brahms
Arthur Schopenhauer
E.M. Cioran
Last edited by tfrzero on Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tfrzero
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:59 am

Postby harris » Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:48 am

This
Last edited by harris on Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
harris
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Obsidian » Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:38 pm

Xuridas wrote:I kinda identify with Franz Kafka a bit. However, he had it much worse than I do. I really do like this quote of his:

“You can hold yourself back from the sufferings of the world, that is something you are free to do and it accords with your nature, but perhaps this very holding back is the one suffering you could avoid.”

I have an idea of what it means, but I'm not sure if it's correct.

You don't know what you miss out of if you live in a shell.
“God is a comedian, playing to an audience too afraid to laugh.”
Obsidian
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:59 am

Postby New Position » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:37 pm

Hugh Grant clearly suffers from a personality disorder if you've seen many interviews with him. Hes very unnatural and unfeeling. Hes probably more narcissistic than schizoid- but its not massively different actually- just a different defence. I dont 'relate' to him but theres tonnes of famous people with these problems. Woody Allen famously too. Fame is a crutch so its not surprising. Also creativity often fosters on the borderline between this connect with other people so most legendery musicians have disorders to some extent- MJ being the most famous example- but not all of them are so public ally a train wreck. So yeah I relate to most musicians- Nick Drake, MJ, Elliott Smith.....all of them messed up their life though so I refrain from the comparison too often- but its an interesting footnote to psychological disorders
New Position
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Postby yt1115 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:44 am

There isn't a 'me' to identify with people. I'm a featureless observer.
yt1115
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby deivi » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:43 am

Err uhh... Patton Oswalt loves comics and comedy just like me, so... I guess I... can relate? lol

...I think I'm not understanding the question.
deivi
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:59 am

Postby oenone » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:14 pm

Don't know if identify,but I grew up in a tiny hamlet in washington state.In the mid 1980's I fancied myself a heavy metal guitarist,and long story short ended up through my musical travels in a Aberdeen wa. music store where I was hopeing to locate like
minded metal musicians,unable to find any in the immediate area.(Aberdeen was 50 miles from my hometown).The musicians board
in that store was typical of the postings I would find in the store closer to my home town,"working country band seeks bass player" type stuff.Except one,which was posted by a guy who was not a metal head,but into indie artsy music,and I think was looking for a drummer.I figured he might know some local metal players,I liked various punk and pre-punk bands as well.I called his number from a pay phone in Aberdeen,and got a hold of this 19 year old guy,( i was 22 myself) named Kurt, and yes it was THAT Kurt.looking back
on our conversation that day,and his ability to ask me things that made me feel like some thing was odd about me, or justify my actions,"why'd you call me?","you drove all the way over here?","you still havn't played in any bands?"My response to each was rooted in the same reason,because i couldn't find like minded people in my immediate area.His voice was very flat and reserved,except for when i told him if i were going to play punk i'd wanna combine the ramones with black sabbath,to which he got some expectation in his voice when he asked me if i liked the band flipper.When i said i was aware of them but had never heard their music,his voice went back to that flat tone,"well, you should listen to them, their really good".By the late 1980's i was living in Seattle and at club shows a couple times where Kurt and Krist Novoselic where also,standing right beside me.Kurt would like me,keep to himself,only responding to people if they initiated conversation,while Krist was very gregarious,seeking people out.I believe Kurt was like myself a schizoid personality,who benefited from an alliance with the more personable Krist.And sadly like some schizoids',was maybe lacking in being able to pick up social cues, making him vulnerable to parasitic sociopes that may have contributed to his early demise.
oenone
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Next

Return to Schizoid Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post