Our partner

Schizoid TV/Movie Characters?

Schizoid Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderators: WichitaLineman, IceBlock

Re: Schizoid TV/Movie Characters?

Postby Artifact No. 783 » Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:28 pm

Pink from Pink Floyd - Wall movie. He has some schizoid traits, but I'm not too sure if he's totally schizoid.
Once he smashes his hotel room... Are schizoids violent? Smashing things up doesn't sound schizoid to me... Who knows?
He (Pink) lost his father in WWII and have dominant/overprotective mother. His mother make him to get married. There's one act where Pink's wife comes to home, goes topless, sits front of Pink, but Pink just want to watch tv. Sounds schizoid? Yes, right? :P

The whole Wall consept is about building Wall. Losing his father, dominant/overprodective mother, bad teachers... All them, they're just bricks for Wall. Pink keeps building Wall, but then he becomes a rockstar... Strangely enought there is not any info how it happens. At some point Pink is a rockstar. Anyway, under the pressure of the outer world Pink try keep his Wall up with using drugs, but Show must go on, so in the end there is The Trial. In The Trial Pink is judged as a guilty and Wall is torned down.

I tried not to spoil too much of this movie. Even if I'd told movie act by act, it won't be nothing. This is one of those movie that you need to see with your own eyes. Definently worth watching, even if you don't like Pink Floy music that much!
...and the bravest man stood alone...
Artifact No. 783
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:20 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Postby Cirvante » Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:43 am

Since someone here already mentioned Cloud and Vincent from FF7, I would say that Squall from FF8 pretty much behaves like a schizoid (at least on the first CD). After that he falls madly in love with Rinoa or something like that.
"Man is by nature a social animal; an individual who is unsocial naturally and not accidentally is either beneath our notice or more than human. (...) Anyone who (...) does not partake of society is either a beast or a god."
— Aristotle, Politics
Cirvante
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Eric_Lee » Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:58 am

Cirvante wrote:Since someone here already mentioned Cloud and Vincent from FF7, I would say that Squall from FF8 pretty much behaves like a schizoid (at least on the first CD). After that he falls madly in love with Rinoa or something like that.

THEY ALL DO.. every good character ever, they get RUINED. Stupid yapanese people, obsessed with happy endings... >: (
Eric_Lee
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Cirvante » Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:07 am

Eric_Lee wrote:THEY ALL DO.. every good character ever, they get RUINED. Stupid yapanese people, obsessed with happy endings... >: (

I completely agree with you on that point. :|
"Man is by nature a social animal; an individual who is unsocial naturally and not accidentally is either beneath our notice or more than human. (...) Anyone who (...) does not partake of society is either a beast or a god."
— Aristotle, Politics
Cirvante
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Will111 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:37 am

ShaggyShaggs wrote:I think Niko Bellic from GTA 4 might qualify, vaguely. Violent revenge fantasies, keeps to himself as much as he's able, tends toward introspection, mostly interacts with people based on necessity rather than anything like friendship, and (at least as I play him) flatly ignores people that would be his friends unless they serve some useful purpose, in which case only puts the bare minimum maintenance effort into the relationship.

Also tends to shoot people in the face for daring to speak to him uninvited, but that may just be me being a dick.

Nah-, he is more of an anti-social. Yet even with that, he has people he cares about, like his cousin. He is more of just a guy thats always been caught in the wrong place at the wrong time...

Though you could relate to him.
Will111
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Local time: Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:20 pm

Postby Nny2010 » Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:27 am

Dexter from the Sho Time show. I think he's pretty schizoid.
Nny2010
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:20 pm

Postby JiminySquid » Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:48 am

Hello? (some) Schizoids make up these characters. Who else would have enough time to conjure up, through deep observations, such dynamic characters? It's the people in the background that provide such entertainment. Therefore, I think that alot of characters in movies, books and television were the artifact of some loner's vast imagination. It's not the type of character, but the best character that fit's the majorities perception of an interesting character at the time. Follow the trend.

I know someone here mentioned that a schizoid type character would be completely boring to watch. Well, what about old western movies? They had their run. What about One Hour Photo? Taxi Driver? No Country For Old Men?
JiminySquid
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:20 pm

Postby JiminySquid » Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:07 am

Artifact No. 783 wrote:Pink from Pink Floyd - Wall movie. He has some schizoid traits, but I'm not too sure if he's totally schizoid.
Once he smashes his hotel room... Are schizoids violent? Smashing things up doesn't sound schizoid to me... Who knows?
He (Pink) lost his father in WWII and have dominant/overprotective mother. His mother make him to get married. There's one act where Pink's wife comes to home, goes topless, sits front of Pink, but Pink just want to watch tv. Sounds schizoid? Yes, right? :P

The whole Wall consept is about building Wall. Losing his father, dominant/overprodective mother, bad teachers... All them, they're just bricks for Wall. Pink keeps building Wall, but then he becomes a rockstar... Strangely enought there is not any info how it happens. At some point Pink is a rockstar. Anyway, under the pressure of the outer world Pink try keep his Wall up with using drugs, but Show must go on, so in the end there is The Trial. In The Trial Pink is judged as a guilty and Wall is torned down.

I tried not to spoil too much of this movie. Even if I'd told movie act by act, it won't be nothing. This is one of those movie that you need to see with your own eyes. Definently worth watching, even if you don't like Pink Floy music that much!

I agree! That movie was loosely based on Syd Barrett, the founder of Pink Floyd. He became a total recluse and David Gilmore became his replacement after a few shows where Syd was pretty much catatonic. David Gilmore went on to compose the most famous albums Dark Side Of The Moon and Wish You Were Here as well as The Wall.
Syd went on to live the life of a recluse, to paint (what he really wanted to do), with no contact with former band members and the press. Even after creating such spacey, original music and sounds that helped to create the Pink Floyd sound, he was oblivious to the praise. So yeah, I agree! Minus David Gimores personal stories of losing his father and almost losing his wife, The Wall was about a schizoid. :)
JiminySquid
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:20 pm

Postby henrietta » Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:40 pm

Dexter (from the show Dexter) is a psychopath, not really schizoid. He is an amazing character, however I feel like they give him too many emotions sometimes. I guess they have to for the sake of television.
henrietta
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:20 pm

Postby AirLiteTimeSpace » Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:59 pm

henrietta wrote:Dexter (from the show Dexter) is a psychopath, not really schizoid. He is an amazing character, however I feel like they give him too many emotions sometimes. I guess they have to for the sake of television.

Yeah, if you want Dexter as he should be, read the original book, "Darkly Dreaming Dexter." <3

Don't read any further than the second book, though, if you get interested enough.
This is not an exit.
AirLiteTimeSpace
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:20 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Schizoid Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post