Our partner

Can I be cured?

Schizoid Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Can I be cured?

Postby GaryMysterio » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:13 am

I want to feel emotion. I want to have friends, even a girlfriend. I want to want those things. I want to care about things. I know a lot of schizoids are comfortable with having it, but I'm not and I never will be.
Can people like us change?
First we feel. Then we fall.
GaryMysterio
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:38 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Can I be cured?

Postby orinoco » Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:02 am

Can you teach an old dog new tricks?
That's not just a saying, that is scientifically proven:
http://www.ipacohio.org/Websites/ipacoh ... ress-1.pdf
I would regard this as "curable" as paraplegia, IOW permanent damage.
No matter what and how you choose to live, being socially active or staying a loner:
it's only the choice of the lesser stress evil as both is much more stressing for us that for neurotypical people. Sorry, that I cannot give you a better outlook.
My advice: be aware of your fears, get into trigger management. Try to establish a supportive relationship. Being a lemon, making lemonade is the best we can do.
orinoco
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Local time: Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:38 pm

Postby Akuma » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:26 am

GaryMysterio wrote:I want to feel emotion. I want to have friends, even a girlfriend. I want to want those things. I want to care about things. I know a lot of schizoids are comfortable with having it, but I'm not and I never will be.

Wanting to change is one of the main prognostic indicators for psychotherapy. I think more than anywhere else people with SPD tend to not even see their illness as an illness, so if you differ there, thats a good starting point. If you realize that theres no magic pill and you will have to endure a lto of $#%^ to get better, then theres always things that can be done. It will of course necessitate professional help and take a while and you might end up using different approaches over time for different problems.
DX: NPD+SPD
Akuma
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:38 pm
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby UK SPD » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:07 am

Is a cured ham still a ham?
UK SPD
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:38 pm

Postby Ashlar » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:02 pm

UK SPD wrote:Is a cured ham still a ham?

Something I'd be happy to have but never buy for myself... a ham.
Ashlar
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:38 am

Postby psychosquirrel » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:32 pm

GaryMysterio wrote:I want to feel emotion. I want to have friends, even a girlfriend. I want to want those things. I want to care about things. I know a lot of schizoids are comfortable with having it, but I'm not and I never will be.

Depends on what you mean by cure. Some SPD tendencies you probably will keep, but:

Can you feel emotions? Yes. You do have emotions, but you may not be so aware of it. SPD's are often out of touch with there body, and emotions are physical sensations.

Can you have friends? Yes.

Can you have a girl-friend? Yes

I think all these things are possible but it takes time, practice and probably some good guidance (of a therapist).
psychosquirrel
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Postby Polis » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:09 am

Can you feel emotions? Yes. You do have emotions, but you may not be so aware of it. SPD's are often out of touch with there body, and emotions are physical sensations.

Nope, there is no way to feel emotions if you don't feel them, there is no cure or fix for that, negative symptoms of schizophrenia aren't treatable either. (and SPD is allot like negative symptoms of schizophrenia)

Wanting to change is one of the main prognostic indicators for psychotherapy.

There is no psychotherapy for lacking emotions.
Polis
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:38 pm

Postby psychosquirrel » Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:06 pm

Polis wrote:

Nope, there is no way to feel emotions if you don't feel them, there is no cure or fix for that, negative symptoms of schizophrenia aren't treatable either. (and SPD is allot like negative symptoms of schizophrenia)

Wanting to change is one of the main prognostic indicators for psychotherapy.

There is no psychotherapy for lacking emotions.

I have to strongly disagree with this.

The original poster wants to feel emotions. Such desire is an emotion in itself. Most likely, he has laughed and cried as a child, and may have felt emotions like other children. The current lack of emotions is something that has grown over time, learned over time. But then it can also be unlearned with psychotherapy. Several books have been written on the treatment of SPD as well as other personality disorders (for example, Masterson, Ralph Klein, Guntrip, ...). It is true that some people with SPD are not interested in treatment, so treatment probably wouldn't be effective. But those people with SPD can be treated. I am not sure if a complete cure is possible, because it depends on how you define it.
psychosquirrel
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Return to Schizoid Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post