Our partner

passive interaction

Schizoid Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

passive interaction

Postby Dalloway » Sat May 27, 2017 11:32 am

1. Premise
2. Examples
3. Questions

1. Premise
Back in the days we had friends, we would tell jokes to, maybe hug or wrestle with, just interact in all the facets.

I've noticed an advancing compartmentalization (as in segmentation) of human interaction as a product.
At base level that's nothing new – going to a prostitute is a buying a split off human interaction.
Listening to a comedian is a sourced out funny friend.

2. Examples
There are cuddle cafes in Japan, you go to just to lay next to a person for some time. New York apparently has 'professional cuddlers' too. Not to mention, back to Japan, hostess bars where it's about having a conversation with someone attentive and conversant.

Now, the thing that prompted this topic: There is a rather new kind of anime that is described as 'first person anime'. The shows that I'm aware of are from the perspective of a female protagonist, that comes home from work and gets greeted by her husband or male neighbors. Every episode is just 3 to 5 minutes and consists of guys trying to be attentive and nice without any apparent reaction given back, like 'How are you doing? It's so late already, you sure work hard! How was your day … how stupid of me, surely you want to relax and not answer questions … but I wanted to tell you I'm really happy you're back.'. They're basically giving a monologue about how important and awesome you are.

And I just thought how extremely impoverished society has become that a kind greeting after coming home is a product people are willing to buy, that there is a demand for it.

Some examples that maybe get overlooked are game streamer, people that play a game and talk about it. Which is basically the outsourced playmate, people listen to oftentimes while gaming, to have a semblance of a conversation they don't have to react to. We also talked abut 'Mok bang'.

I think the natural scuffle boys like to do from time to time is outsourced to fighting games and war simulations, which is a really bad substitute in my opinion.

3. Questions
The majority if not all of us said they try to keep human interaction at a minimum.
How much time do you spent with compartmentalized human interaction? Consequently which compartments seem to be important to you? Is there a segment that isn't outsourced yet that you would give money for? Like, is a cuddle cafe something you might consider.

The topic is not constricted to the questions. If you've an opinion, a story or another quirky example regarding this development, let's have it.
Dalloway
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:11 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: passive interaction

Postby ElephantEyes » Sat May 27, 2017 1:25 pm

Dalloway wrote:
Now, the thing that prompted this topic: There is a rather new kind of anime that is described as 'first person anime'. The shows that I'm aware of are from the perspective of a female protagonist, that comes home from work and gets greeted by her husband or male neighbors. Every episode is just 3 to 5 minutes and consists of guys trying to be attentive and nice without any apparent reaction given back, like 'How are you doing? It's so late already, you sure work hard! How was your day … how stupid of me, surely you want to relax and not answer questions … but I wanted to tell you I'm really happy you're back.'. They're basically giving a monologue about how important and awesome you are.

Made me think of ASMR interactive roleplays. Boyfriend rp....doctors visit...etc.

They are getting more bizarre though. Like kidnapping roleplay. Maybe those bizarre ones are meant as a joke. Though there is probably an audience for even the most bizarre ones. Lots of strange preferences out there.

Look up Ephemeral Rift if you dont know it already.

I have watched some videos like this...mok bang etc. but most of the time its passing interest and I dont seek it out. I woudnt pay for it.

Sometimes when I live alone I do like to hear a voice as background noise but its not interactive stuff.
ElephantEyes
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:11 am

Postby undergroundman » Sat May 27, 2017 4:13 pm

I'm very jealous of my intimacy, and the idea that a person would like to lay next to me or touch me somehow disturbs me, even if I don't dislike that person.

I had an experience with a prostitute in my adolescence, when I was basically just a child. The only time in all my life I've been in intimacy with another person I had to pay for it, and it was awful. Since then I make a mechanical association between being in intimacy with another one and a sense of discomfort or weakness, like a guy who can't stand the smell of alcohol after a binge in which he has vomited even his soul. For a long time I've been depressed, because I didn't succeed to discover this "segment" of human interaction like everyone did. I didn't understand why people weren't interested in me, whether the fault was mine or theirs. Though, at the minimum suspect I was the object of interest of someone, I began to be overwhelmed by disgust and discomfort. Now when I watch my contemporaries, whom all have discovered this segment, and even my younger brothers, all together hand in hand, doing experiences that I didn't make and probably will never do, I feel a sense of grandiosity and freedom filling me up, because I can do without it and they can't.

My repulsion for intimacy has forbidden me to explore many corners of my personality, but it has also preserved me to get into all kind of messes that might have brought me to a mental hospital.

For the question of compartmentalization of human interaction as a product, after my first (bad) experience, I think I wouldn't search nothing that derives even remotely from it. And I consider stuffs like cuddle cafes pretty comic and patethic, but I don't disapprove it, everyone is free to choice his own amount and modality of contact with others.
undergroundman
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Local time: Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:11 pm

Postby zeno » Sat May 27, 2017 8:59 pm

Another example. A passive version of "just hanging out with old friends":

http://youtu.be/8yj0E0wxZZo

It's fun to watch that kind of thing, and it's relaxing to watch some types of so-called ASMR videos, but I wouldn't say it's important to me. Not as a specific thing at least. I guess it's just important to see a human face or hear a human voice with some regularity, and there's no shortage of that on Youtube.

"Cuddle cafés" and the like really don't sound like the type of situation where you can be at ease, for several reasons. I can't see a point in paying for that. It seems inherently deceptive. It makes a lot more sense to pay for a massage instead.
nothing new under the sun
zeno
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby under ice » Sat May 27, 2017 10:04 pm

Almost everything can be replicated virtually these days and you can buy any kind of interaction.
Emotions can be manipulated chemically to a certain extent, but the interaction industry has developed faster in comparison and it's more accessible. It's a whole new consumer market.
Personally, I find the whole idea off-putting. ASMR is sheer torture to my ears and I don't like the idea of some kind of AI character babbling to me all day. Still I'm interested to see how big this thing will become and who will eventually embrace it. Maybe in future people will pay for the privilege of not having to be bombarded with artificial interaction, just like some of us use an ad blocker.
under ice
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Blog: View Blog (7)

Postby zeno » Sat May 27, 2017 10:48 pm

under ice wrote:Maybe in future people will pay for the privilege of not having to be bombarded with artificial interaction, just like some of us use an ad blocker.

I expect that an opt-out won't be offered as an option at all. Just look at "Cortana, your bestest friend ever :-)" and the like. Microsoft even offered a new version of Windows for free, which is very unlike them, and they've been very aggressive about pushing their updates to all users. That seems to be the norm now.

When I call some random customer service, I'm already greeted by a recording of a cheerful young woman pretending to be typing my request and waiting for the (actually instantaneous) results to appear on a computer screen that doesn't actually exist.
zeno
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby under ice » Sat May 27, 2017 11:23 pm

under ice
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby zeno » Sat May 27, 2017 11:24 pm

Yup.
zeno
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby under ice » Sat May 27, 2017 11:29 pm

If you're rich enough you can use servants to do everything that involves annoying simulated interaction :P.
under ice
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Dalloway » Sun May 28, 2017 9:18 am

Anthropomorphized office equipment and advertisement in general is the next topic.
The cuddle cafe in comparison is really popular and people pay steep prizes to have a 3 second hug.

ElephantEyes wrote:Look up Ephemeral Rift if you dont know it already.
Sometimes when I live alone I do like to hear a voice as background noise but its not interactive stuff.

I didn't know Ephemeral Rift. So, you basically had a time when this 'function' was fulfilled by another human you had to deal with in a more holistic way. Could you live with the passive interaction for good?

undergroundman wrote:For the question of compartmentalization of human interaction as a product, after my first (bad) experience, I think I wouldn't search nothing that derives even remotely from it.

This forum offers compartmentalized human (somewhat) interaction. There's either the need to confide or to display.

zeno wrote:Another example. A passive version of "just hanging out with old friends"

Interesting. I know guys behave like that but it appears artificial to me … but that's another topic.

zeno wrote:"Cuddle cafés" […] It seems inherently deceptive.

Like they can't give you what a hug is really about? Or would you just be annoyed you can't go further.

The thing I see is because of this passive interaction people unlearn how to behave when it's not passive. I'm playing mmorpgs for some time and in my experience people get increasingly unable to have a simple back and forth conversation. Some use others for their 'feel-good background noise' without the slightest sense of reciprocity, be it unwillingness or inability.

What's wrong with my questions?
For me there isn't a day I go without some show or reading online. Exchange appears to be important for me.
If the Japanese Host or Hostess Clubs would be more like an English tea parlour where you can book conversationalists I can imagine paying for that. Since I feel like a contractor in every interaction I could also imagine working there. I could hit people with a paddle when they grab the scones with the wrong hand.
Dalloway
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Next

Return to Schizoid Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post