Our partner

Fantasy world

Schizoid Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Re: Fantasy world

Postby under ice » Sat May 27, 2017 10:40 pm

I think I have something similar to what iabsurdlyexist said, nothing fantastic but a fantasy of a better world. When I was younger I thought it would become real if everyone were good to each other and to themselves, but gradually I stopped believing... in fact, it didn't even happen that gradually but in two phases. First I saw that it's impossible and then, several years later, a shrink I met called it a fantasy world and I finally realized it's just that, but probably necessary one for me when I was growing up.
I still have my better world, it's more enjoyable now that I know it's fantasy and I don't have to try to make it real.
under ice
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:31 pm
Blog: View Blog (7)

ADVERTISEMENT

Postby Ashlar » Sun May 28, 2017 12:46 am

As a kid I would lay in bed not able to sleep for hours upon hours. I didn't really have a sense of certain physical things like being "tired" or needing to go to the bathroom and how that corresponded to caffeine or when I last ate/drank. So during those long hours in the dark "because it's bed time" I'd be alone in my head. Sometimes I'd try to envision different dreams I had had.

As time passed I started to consistently imagine a different world. At one point I was in like a giant bird cage with what I thought was a conventionally attractive woman and I was forced to stay with her against my will.

In a later version I was on a starship leaving earth, and famous/interesting/better people were also along. I was supposed to be the next captain after the current captain passed on. Once again, forced along for the ride against my will, but once again being "important" to the narrative.

Later it was a giant floating fortress plant creature that was my companion. We could stop time and be invisible as we observed and curated the world. I could bring people to visit if I wanted, invite them to share in my world, and let them forget when they left.

That kinda drifted out of favor by the time I was in highschool. Eventually I got somewhat into lucid dreaming. I still have very vivid dreams.

When I can't sleep or I'm really stressed out about things sometimes I try to conjure that old imaginary world while I'm in bed.
Ashlar
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:31 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby iabsurdlyexist » Sun May 28, 2017 2:16 am

under ice wrote:First I saw that it's impossible and then, several years later, a shrink I met called it a fantasy world and I finally realized it's just that, but probably necessary one for me when I was growing up.

Seriously? I assumed everyone had an ideal world in their head. Are other people's head just sort of empty? Really though, it's pretty pathetic because I am 37 and I only realized just recently that my perception was way off. It didn't go well but the meds seem to be working now so that's something. My eternal optimism was based in fantasy.
Dx: SPD/AvPD/BP2
iabsurdlyexist
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby under ice » Sun May 28, 2017 3:54 am

iabsurdlyexist wrote:
under ice wrote:First I saw that it's impossible and then, several years later, a shrink I met called it a fantasy world and I finally realized it's just that, but probably necessary one for me when I was growing up.

Seriously? I assumed everyone had an ideal world in their head. Are other people's head just sort of empty? Really though, it's pretty pathetic because I am 37 and I only realized just recently that my perception was way off. It didn't go well but the meds seem to be working now so that's something. My eternal optimism was based in fantasy.
Maybe they do have an ideal world in their head but it's either realistic enough to be made real or fantastic enough so that they can tell the difference without anyone telling them.

I also have a few odd belief. I know people would laugh at me if I told them...still I consider those more valid than this "sensible" fantasy.

-- Sun May 28, 2017 5:04 am --

Sorry about typos.
under ice
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby iabsurdlyexist » Sun May 28, 2017 12:20 pm

under ice wrote:Maybe they do have an ideal world in their head but it's either realistic enough to be made real or fantastic enough so that they can tell the difference without anyone telling them.

I also have a few odd belief. I know people would laugh at me if I told them...still I consider those more valid than this "sensible" fantasy.

Sorry about typos.

That makes sense, understanding that there is a difference. As for the "odd beliefs", I don't believe I have any. However, I don't even know how I am different than "normal" other than the detachment. In our society, being attached to something seems held in high regard so I definitely come across as an oddball. Every day is fighting silly thoughts so I can come across as what I perceive to be "normal". It would be nice to just let go.
Dx: SPD/AvPD/BP2
iabsurdlyexist
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby under ice » Sun May 28, 2017 6:03 pm

I guess it's all about learning a role that is just friendly enough, and to be true to yourself.
under ice
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby perejil » Tue May 30, 2017 2:58 am

Mine has lessened a lot over time. Used to be a Secret Life of Walter Mitty kind of thing.

Is this primarily a schizoid thing or do other PDs do it too?
Do I contradict myself? Very well, then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes.

—Walt Whitman
perejil
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:31 am

Postby 1201236 » Wed May 31, 2017 3:17 pm

To answer that, I should need to know the other, the mind little in thought-sights. In the way of the head-healers, they reckon the mind. If a man meets a head-healer with little mind, his may be reckoned much, of wideness and holdings.
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:31 pm

Postby TheCastleOf » Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:41 am

@holodeck

You've been raised in such a way that you could only end up asociating being talented with feeling used, leading to avoidance.

I've been raised in such a way that I could only end up associating creative work with intense stress, leading to avoidance.

I was a trophy child as well but barred from creative outlets, which made my desire to become an artist even more burning :mrgreen: :D

Wish you luck with your endeavors, artistic or not . . .
TheCastleOf
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:31 pm

Postby Holodeck » Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:53 pm

@TheCastleOf Yeah that's sort of been a snail's pace moving project of mine to attempt to do things and know that if someone says something it won't likely follow with "Oh you're good at this! Let's sign you up for all the things involved with it till you hate thinking about it while I brag to people about you for attention!"

Hopefully it gets easier.
Holodeck
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Previous

Return to Schizoid Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post