Our partner

has anyone else felt almost catatonic?

Schizoid Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Re: has anyone else felt almost catatonic?

Postby riverx » Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:22 pm

it just seems like a recurring theme when i read about those kinds of things. but what you described specifically sounds like an "organic" (neurological-level) type of procrastination, which is an "executive function" problem, which is at the core of adhd, which i'm more than familiar with

it doesn't have to be adhd though. the common thing between adhd and spd is the absence of a sense of reward when it would normally be expected, which screws up your fundamental motivation (the link between thought and action) to do even the most basic things of everyday life

Yes, that fits my experience, again. Thanks. (Its helfpul because I dont want to be like this)

It makes me curious about how you're so good at putting these things together. are you aware of having this ability? Have you read mainly about ADHD, or other things as well?
riverx
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:25 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Postby ZonedOut » Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:37 pm

riverx wrote:
screwed-up dopamine feedback in the brain, screwed-up executive functioning

... actually, how did you get so clear and succinct? Just curious, how you got to know, what else you know.... ?

Is it really the first time you hear about such thing? It's no piece of groundbreaking new science or something. Maybe you should pick up a neuropsychology or psychopharmacology book if you want to know more about the neurological underpinnings of motivation (or a lack thereof), cognitive function and what not.

Oh, and btw, there is much more involved in executive function than dopamine only. It's a bit of an oversimplification, as with so many things. In reality, there are many complex interactions of various kinds with other neurotransmitter or neurotransmitter systems.
Dx - Schizoid Personality Disorder // Attention Deficit Disorder
ZonedOut
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:25 am

Postby anagram » Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:42 pm

riverx wrote:are you aware of having this ability?

yep. but in this case it was just a lazy comment, really. just the first thing that came to mind

Have you read mainly about ADHD, or other things as well?

other things as well. i don't have any specific recommendations though. i'm just curious and read whatever seems interesting at the moment. most of it i forget i ever even read
anagram
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby riverx » Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:12 pm

Its not totally the first time I've come accross it, but not everyone knows about dopamine and motivation.
Your response may have been unthought and intiutive. But thats what I mean.

Oh, and btw, there is much more involved in executive function than dopamine only. It's a bit of an oversimplification, as with so many things. In reality, there are many complex interactions of various kinds with other neurotransmitter or neurotransmitter systems.
I'm aware of this. Its just those 2 things fit what I'm experiencing.
riverx
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Auxiliary11 » Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:55 am

Check this out: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2632327/

"In addition to slowed actions, a reduction in the quantity of psychomotor activity is also observed, sometimes recognized as negative symptoms. Liddle11 labeled this diminished psychomotor activity as the psychomotor poverty syndrome, encompassing poverty of speech, decreased spontaneous movements, and blunting of affect."

And yes, I've absolutely felt like that before.
self dx. pdd-nos (level 1); covert narcissism w/ avoidant traits; social phobia; inertia.

INFP; dismissive/fearful-avoidant & highly sensitive person

"Life, a sexually transmitted, terminal disease."
"you built up a world of magic, because your real life is tragic"
Auxiliary11
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Filthyfloor » Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:56 am

When I took the mmpi my highest score was for psychomotor retardation. My therapist believed me to have a dissociative disorder. I'm much better than then though, and I move regularly. I wouldn't even really register my bodily needs for hours/all day.

Also, I'm ADHD.
Filthyfloor
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:25 pm

Postby Kimberly » Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:39 pm

I did not think it was related to catatonia, but yes, I have felt something similar. I'll quote from my Reddit post.

"It seems I've stumbled into the Void again. It is not depression or lack of motivation. It is a complete bankruptcy of will. Like the person in me that 'activates' me has been snuffed out completely.... I haven't bathed in days, I don't eat, I don't move, I haven't left my room for a long time except for a leak, I am practically paralysed. I go into long periods of vacantly staring at a wall or sitting still. I feel no sadness, guilt or shame, not even a frustration that I'm a screwup. Nothing seems to matter, though I mildly suppose things do matter... I'm beginning to feel like my brain is stopping functioning too...I must be 'dying', I think my body also will begin to rot soon."
Kimberly
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Postby Werumenz » Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:00 pm

Yes, but these feeling tend to only surface when i am having, or near having one of my stress induced borderline psychotic episodes. I say borderline, because i am not actually delusional, but all the other symptoms of psychosis are there. Colors fade, my short-term memory becomes abysmal, objects seem to be of their wrong sizes, but i am all aware at all times that none of this is real. During this i also feel catatonic and indifferent towards everything. More than usual, i mean.
Werumenz
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:25 am

Previous

Return to Schizoid Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post