Our partner

Parents of children diagnosed with schizoid personality

Schizoid Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Parents of children diagnosed with schizoid personality

Postby Cdnnlln » Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:18 am

I am a mother of a 17 year old boy who was diagnosed in January 2015. It's been a difficult 2 1/2 years. At first we thought it was anxiety and depression. We tried tutors, online schooling and now he does not attend school. He was on meds for about a year and 1/2. We had trouble finding an adolescent psychiatrist that had openings. After he would not leave the house, even to see the nurse practioner for med renewals we had to go to the emergency room for a psych evaluation( horrible experience). He was put into an outpatient program for a week. We finally got an app with a therapist and had him evaluated. The result was schizoid personality disorder with some aspergers tendencies. After 10 months of therapy and off meds the therapist didn't see a point in furthering appointments unless we needed more. My son stays home, uses his computer and stays in his bed 80% of the time. He will talk with us and sit in the living room once or twice a day for a short period of time. I feel hopeless and am at a loss. Are there any other parents who are experiencing this disorder?
Cdnnlln
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:52 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Parents of children diagnosed with schizoid personality

Postby Ashlar » Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:29 pm

Can you explain in detail what the nature of the problem/conflict is? Just saying someone has a personality disorder doesn't in and of itself communicate much about what exactly you are trying to solve or deal with.
Ashlar
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:52 pm

Postby heracles » Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:16 pm

If he's in his bed 80% of the time It sounds more like deep depression to me. I suppose you can be both schizoid and depressed. Is he genuinely interested in anything? Maybe that could be turned into a career or vocational path. Depression, if that's what it is, aside, "nons" who're all hurt and distraught about our schizoid "coldness" are just as distressing and unpleasant to us as we are to them.

I was often very drowsy as a teenager and took naps often. My dad was worried about it. Could that be somewhat normal for a teen? To sleep alot? Isn't it better that he gets his rest, rather than running around all night in the wee hours of the morning?
The inner life of the secret schizoid is incommunicable.
heracles
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:52 am
Blog: View Blog (10)

Postby Slab » Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:04 pm

It sounds like you're looking for support with other parents of children with SPD, which is not primarily the purpose of this forum. The posts on here would probably be of more use to you if your son had any interest in seeking out information on SPD.

There's an overlap between things like Asperger's, dysthymia, and SPD, so if it seemed hopeless for one therapist, a therapist of a different specialty might have a different method.
Slab
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Postby IntellectualCat » Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:41 pm

Also, I think you should ask people on this forum some questions about their own experiences of being a schizoid. I think your distress about this may be in part because of ableist preconceptions that you have.

I will say these two things. Schizoid personality disorder is not just a diagnosis. It is an actual thing. A diagnosis is just a label someone gives to someone else to refer to a condition they believe that person has. On the other hand, the condition itself is something different about a person that they experience.

Another thing is that you are not the one experiencing your son's condition. In reality, your son is the one who is experiencing SPD. That is his condition, not yours. You are only experiencing the way he behaves due to being schizoid (and if they were to ever talk about being schizoid, while you would get insight into schizoids that you otherwise wouldn't, that still wouldn't make you experience his condition).

You may want to look at my blog. While most of it focuses on autism, some posts are about other conditions or are about disabilities in general. Some of the posts on there may be helpful.
Dx: Autism, ADHD, social anxiety, GAD, major depression
Suspecting: Bipolar, among other things
My blog about neurodiversity
IntellectualCat
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:52 pm

Postby Comp_Lex » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:25 pm

Your son needs intensive support and psychotherapy. You may want to check up yourself as well. My parents are cluster B psychopaths. Their behaviour towards me is one of the causes of my SPD.
Comp_Lex
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:52 am

Postby SpeckledUnicorn » Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:24 pm

I spend most of the time on my bed on my computer too! It's like we're twins!

No but seriously, if he's not hurting anyone and he doesn't seem severely discontent by his behavior...then I say just try and deal with him as you can. The fact that he's even sitting in there with you guys is at least a good sign that he cares somewhat. I tend to do this too- I will make some effort to show my face and reassure my parents even if it's not particularly what I want to do because I think I care about them. Look at the positives?

If you're wanting him to be 'normal' and 'cured' it's not going to happen. The best thing to do is to make sure he can function in life as happily as he can be (and if you really love him and don't want to just force your ideas of happiness on him this is what you will do ). If he has emotional issues then deal with those when they arise if he feels like even approaching you about it.

Remember most people just end up getting a regular job anyway, so if you are worried about lack of ambition, don't be.Just support him in getting a job and making enough money to support himself.

I think the pursuit of therapy is something that he's going to have to want to do or it's not going to work at all. He has to want it.

Now if he shows no happiness at all there may be medecine that can help his anhedonia...Also I would see if he has any interests and talk to him about interests over feelings. I think schizoids can find that easier. Is there anything he likes? If so that is also a good sign.
SpeckledUnicorn
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby EmpathySucks » Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:02 pm

Diagnosed at 17? Schizoid with asperger tendencies? Something is not right here.
EmpathySucks
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:52 am

Postby Cdnnlln » Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:09 pm

EmpathySucks wrote:Diagnosed at 17? Schizoid with asperger tendencies? Something is not right here.

Thanks for your input. What doesn't seem right about his diagnosis?
Cdnnlln
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:52 pm

Postby SpeckledUnicorn » Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:48 pm

EmpathySucks wrote:Diagnosed at 17? Schizoid with asperger tendencies? Something is not right here.

It has been almost a full 6 days since this person posted this. I wonder if they are coming back. maybe they will check it in a week. It's always bewildering when they never come back.....

Anyway, I am suspicious of diagnosing someone so young with it,but if they seem to have severe withdraw and adhedonia and it's not exactly looking like depression then I would highly consider diagnosing them anyway.

It's plausible that it is simply asperger's but I am guessing that there had to be something in the evaluation to even come up with schizoid.

Could be severely depressed ? Not sure. Mn.......Can't say. Can only give advice on the information given at the start.

Though to the op, always get a second opinion. Especially for something like a personality disorder. They can be very confusing unless they are just obvious.
SpeckledUnicorn
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Next

Return to Schizoid Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post