Our partner

SPD Forum: Person-first or identity-first language?

Schizoid Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Do you prefer person-first language or identity-first language?

Person-first (person with SPD)
No votes
Identity-first (schizoid person/schizoid)
42%
Don't care
58%

Total votes : 12

SPD Forum: Person-first or identity-first language?

Postby IntellectualCat » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:47 pm

I am wondering what language people on the SPD forum prefer when they are being referred to, or if they have a preference. On my blog, I want to write about people with many types of neurological variations, and I want to make sure I refer to those people in the ways they prefer.

I may want to do this on other forums, but I'm starting on this one.

So, what language do you prefer?
Dx: Autism, ADHD, social anxiety, GAD, major depression
Suspecting: Bipolar, among other things
My blog about neurodiversity
IntellectualCat
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:15 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: SPD Forum: Person-first or identity-first language?

Postby Kally » Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:34 pm

I don't get it, what's the difference?
Kally
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:15 am

Postby IntellectualCat » Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:12 am

Kally wrote:I don't get it, what's the difference?

Some people prefer one over the other for different reasons. Some people prefer person-first because identity-first implies that they can only be reduced to the condition they have, and person-first implies that they are not defined by it.

Other people prefer identity-first because person-first implies that they can be separated from their condition and identity-first implies that it is a major part of who they are.

For example, I prefer identity-first language when it comes to my autism, StPD, or schizoid traits because I would be a very different person without them. On the other hand, when it comes to GAD, I prefer person-first because it is just a mental state that happens to be long-lasting, but can go away for at least a few years.
IntellectualCat
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Postby Sobakaa » Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:47 pm

Don't see any difference, tbh.
Sobakaa
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:15 am

Postby SpeckledUnicorn » Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:16 am

I think whining about this is dumb honestly. my initial deep reaction is that this is stupid and that people who worry about language so much are over sensitive whiners.

But I fix it logically by saying some things are important to people even if they are stupid to me.

So as not to offend you I will just say I don't particularly care what you use.

I also think schizoid people are the least likely to give a damn but maybe I am assuming.

Person first identity first- blehck.

I don't care.

-- Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:22 pm --

' a blonde woman

Vs

A woman with blonde hair .

Means the same thing . The only people crying about it are the ones who are sensitive to every little connotation they don't particularly like.

' You're taking my personhood away when you put my features first ! I am a woman not a blonde first'

Yeah but you are also blonde...

I don't even get this question.
SpeckledUnicorn
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:15 am

Postby IntellectualCat » Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:53 am

JPKAS wrote:I think whining about this is dumb honestly. my initial deep reaction is that this is stupid and that people who worry about language so much are over sensitive whiners.

But I fix it logically by saying some things are important to people even if they are stupid to me.

So as not to offend you I will just say I don't particularly care what you use.

I also think schizoid people are the least likely to give a damn but maybe I am assuming.

Person first identity first- blehck.

I don't care.

-- Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:22 pm --

' a blonde woman

Vs

A woman with blonde hair .

Means the same thing . The only people crying about it are the ones who are sensitive to every little connotation they don't particularly like.

' You're taking my personhood away when you put my features first ! I am a woman not a blonde first'

Yeah but you are also blonde...

I don't even get this question.

I actually did predict that the majority of the people in the poll wouldn't care either way.

I am not at all offended by what you said.

What you are saying about person-first/identity-first language makes me wonder about the actual reason I prefer identity-first. I think that it may have been from frustration due to people insisting on using person-first, while also insisting that disability is this terrible thing and is somehow incompatible with being a person. They just seem like drama queens. I also become afraid of people who say that disability is incompatible with personhood, as people tend to think a living being has to be human to have rights (which doesn't make sense to me, but people do believe that).

I think that it may be more logical to choose the most concise, least awkward sounding way of referring to disability rather than getting involved with the meaning people give to semantics. Besides, if someone has a problem with having to be constantly reminded that a disabled person is a person, different usage of language won't change that.
IntellectualCat
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Postby Slab » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:05 am

I can understand other people caring, some are just more sensitive about interpretation and the topic of mental illnesses is not a monolith, but the language I use or anybody else uses doesn't really have any bearing on how I'm going to be viewed. Being schizoid or being 'a person with SPD' mean the same thing when the disorder is still going to make me seem creepy and uncaring. The verity of that notwithstanding.

I like just using schizoid because it is shorter, though.
Slab
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:15 am

Postby iLovePandas » Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:08 pm

OP, you type as an INTP, yet it is so quintessentially Fi to care about such fatuous language identifiers.

The entire idea feels like it was plucked straight out from the depths of Tumblr.
iLovePandas
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:15 pm

Postby SchizyOfAstora » Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:12 pm

iLovePandas wrote:OP, you type as an INTP, yet it is so quintessentially Fi to care about such fatuous language identifiers.

The entire idea feels like it was plucked straight out from the depths of Tumblr.

Were the hell do you got that from? Didn't you see that OP got autism and people with autism are know to care more about details that other don't notice?
And Tumblr.. what?
SchizyOfAstora
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:15 am

Postby iLovePandas » Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:36 pm

RedSoviet wrote:Were the hell do you got that from? Didn't you see that OP got autism and people with autism are know to care more about details that other don't notice?
And Tumblr.. what?

Where did I get INTP from? The same place you "got" autism from -- they're both in OP's signature.

Anyway, what I said has nothing to do with OP's autism.
iLovePandas
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:15 pm

Next

Return to Schizoid Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post