Our partner

i never knew

Schizoid Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

i never knew

Postby Wrath Of Maff » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:58 am

Hi there.

I did one of these silly internet "what's your disorder" questionnaires recently. I know these tests are usually crap and results should be ignored (it said I was ocd but I'm not) but it said schizoid in the results. I had never heard of schizoid so I looked it up and was surprised to find it fits me exactly. I found a website that lists the 7 point criteria used by doctors and it said you must fit at least 4 of the 7 points, all 7 fitted me perfectly.
I have had issues with mental health since childhood (im 35 now) and previously was diagnosed as just depressed with anxiety, also a psychiatrist once suggested I might be bipolar before I dropped out of treatment. I do get depression but bipolar didn't fit me.
So I guess next step is to get this confirmed by a doctor although here in the UK it's not a great time as budget cuts have had a big impact on mental health services. I tried to get back to see a psychiatrist again earlier this year after some heavy problems with depression but was refused help, they just offered me antidepressants that never worked the first time I tried them.
I'd like to ask you all about treatment of this disorder and your experiences.
Thanks.
Wrath Of Maff
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:19 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: i never knew

Postby nprkntlny » Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:38 pm

There is virtually no mainstream treatment available for it.
nprkntlny
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Comp_Lex » Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:43 pm

Wrath Of Maff wrote:Hi there.

I did one of these silly internet "what's your disorder" questionnaires recently. I know these tests are usually crap and results should be ignored (it said I was ocd but I'm not) but it said schizoid in the results. I had never heard of schizoid so I looked it up and was surprised to find it fits me exactly. I found a website that lists the 7 point criteria used by doctors and it said you must fit at least 4 of the 7 points, all 7 fitted me perfectly.
I have had issues with mental health since childhood (im 35 now) and previously was diagnosed as just depressed with anxiety, also a psychiatrist once suggested I might be bipolar before I dropped out of treatment. I do get depression but bipolar didn't fit me.
So I guess next step is to get this confirmed by a doctor although here in the UK it's not a great time as budget cuts have had a big impact on mental health services. I tried to get back to see a psychiatrist again earlier this year after some heavy problems with depression but was refused help, they just offered me antidepressants that never worked the first time I tried them.
I'd like to ask you all about treatment of this disorder and your experiences.
Thanks.

There are no good therapies and medication available for this disorder.
Comp_Lex
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:19 pm

Postby Wrath Of Maff » Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:20 pm

Thanks for the replies. I read psychotherapy is used, anyone had any luck with that? I have done CBT in the past which i found helped me to overcome a few problems. My biggest problem has always been motivation. I have a full time job and i deal directly with customers (that took a lot of getting used to) but its a constant struggle to even leave the house in the morning. So im guessing thats a problem i will be stuck with.

Learning about SPD has helped me understand why i have always shunned my family even though i dont dislike any of them. I love my close family very much and yet i cant even push myself to contact them regularly. I never had an explanation for why i do that before. I feel slightly less weird now.
Wrath Of Maff
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby Lucinda » Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:04 pm

Wrath Of Maff wrote:Thanks for the replies. I read psychotherapy is used, anyone had any luck with that? I have done CBT in the past which i found helped me to overcome a few problems. My biggest problem has always been motivation. I have a full time job and i deal directly with customers (that took a lot of getting used to) but its a constant struggle to even leave the house in the morning. So im guessing thats a problem i will be stuck with.

Learning about SPD has helped me understand why i have always shunned my family even though i dont dislike any of them. I love my close family very much and yet i cant even push myself to contact them regularly. I never had an explanation for why i do that before. I feel slightly less weird now.

I am close to family yet it took me 9 months ( whilst overseas) before I could ring my mother to say hello. I had sent the odd text in the meantime.
I dont know if psychotherapy is useful apart from the feeling of support from another.
Lexapro Antidepressant helps me with mood but not motivation.
I think I will change to efexor. I have had it in the past and it gave me energy to do things. When I have energy I have motivation.
''Life is not a task. There is absolutely nothing to attain except the realisation that there is absolutely nothing to attain.''
Lucinda
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:19 am
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby Wrath Of Maff » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:58 pm

Lucinda wrote: I am close to family yet it took me 9 months ( whilst overseas) before I could ring my mother to say hello. I had sent the odd text in the meantime.
I dont know if psychotherapy is useful apart from the feeling of support from another.
Lexapro Antidepressant helps me with mood but not motivation.
I think I will change to efexor. I have had it in the past and it gave me energy to do things. When I have energy I have motivation.

Yeah i cant say i feel like i need support. Im very independent, probably too much.
I have been through all available antidepressants at max dosages before with a psychiatrist and none of them seemed to help much. But i did have a lot of problems with the side-effects. Most of them made me super drowsy and i was falling asleep all over the place. Nothing has given me a feeling of having energy (nothing legal anyways), i can down a 4 pack of redbull and fall asleep with no problems.
Still, i think i will go speak to a doctor and see what my options are, if there are any options other than more pills that dont work.
Wrath Of Maff
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby tzinam » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:46 pm

What effect(s) would you expect from a medication ?

Edit : I tend to think that a depression that would be forever (I would have been depressive for so long and I don't see how it could end) is not a depression. Only some traits of a depression can be observed, and it does not mean one needs/wants to have a treatment for that.
To be continued...
tzinam
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Local time: Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:19 pm

Postby grayman » Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:44 am

Has being labeled SPD been helpful in discovering a solution?
grayman
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:19 am

Postby Wrath Of Maff » Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:33 pm

Well I would hope antidepressants would do as the name suggests but they didn't work for me. My depression comes and goes, it can either be triggered or it just happens seemingly with no cause. Sometimes it will force me to spend a week at home unable to do anything but thankfully that only happens a couple times a year.

I haven't been diagnosed yet but learning of SPD has given me some explanations for why I do certain things where before I was just confused by these things. Hopefully this will ease the stress of never being sure what exactly was wrong with me. Why I was always feeling so different from everyone else.
Not understanding yourself can make life tougher than it should be.
Wrath Of Maff
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby tzinam » Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:28 pm

I see what you mean.
And you could see here that you can live with what you are ; that you are different from « normal » people but not sick.
It can also show you how to live accordingly with what you are, and avoiding bad situations for you.
To be continued...
tzinam
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Local time: Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:19 pm

Next

Return to Schizoid Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post