Our partner

online communities (forums, reddit, etc)

Schizoid Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Re: online communities (forums, reddit, etc)

Postby ganbaru » Sun Sep 28, 2014 3:25 am

well... semantics again...

i mean, you're here, right?
ganbaru
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:55 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Postby Comp_Lex » Sun Sep 28, 2014 3:58 am

anachronic wrote:well... semantics again...

i mean, you're here, right?

What is here? What I think is going on is that I'm sitting behind a computer sending information to- and receiving information from a computer.
Comp_Lex
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:55 am

Postby ganbaru » Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:48 am

Comp_Lex wrote:What is here? What I think is going on is that I'm sitting behind a computer sending information to- and receiving information from a computer.

yes. but you clearly attach some significance or usefulness to sitting behind a computer etc etc, or else you wouldn't be doing it. so calling it fake, when it's already implied and also clearly stated that it's no substitute (and that it's not intended as a substitute) for other types of contact (see op), is meaninglessly vague and contradictory. because if something is fake, then that means that it's being used as an inadequate substitute for something else. so what would that be?

now, if you mean that you don't see a point in having any contact with people online other than in this forum, then that makes sense. but calling it fake implies much more than that
ganbaru
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby roscid » Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:14 am

Over the past few weeks I have become a regular member of a chat room for people with Asperger's Syndrome. I don't think I have AS but I find it easier to get along with people who do. It's nice because I've been feeling unusually lonely lately and this group totally fulfills what tiny social needs I have. I wouldn't consider them friends but I am friendly towards them and I enjoy being there.
roscid
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:55 pm

Postby Comp_Lex » Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:26 am

anachronic wrote:
Comp_Lex wrote:What is here? What I think is going on is that I'm sitting behind a computer sending information to- and receiving information from a computer.

yes. but you clearly attach some significance or usefulness to sitting behind a computer etc etc, or else you wouldn't be doing it. so calling it fake, when it's already implied and also clearly stated that it's no substitute (and that it's not intended as a substitute) for other types of contact (see op), is meaninglessly vague and contradictory. because if something is fake, then that means that it's being used as an inadequate substitute for something else. so what would that be?

now, if you mean that you don't see a point in having any contact with people online other than in this forum, then that makes sense. but calling it fake implies much more than that

It is absolutely inadequate compared to real life contact. I'm not "here" because of the people. I'm "here" because of my own disorders and my interest in psychiatry. I like the discussions and my attempts to "solve" problems.
Comp_Lex
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:55 am

Postby nprkntlny » Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:04 pm

roscid wrote:Over the past few weeks I have become a regular member of a chat room for people with Asperger's Syndrome. I don't think I have AS but I find it easier to get along with people who do. It's nice because I've been feeling unusually lonely lately and this group totally fulfills what tiny social needs I have. I wouldn't consider them friends but I am friendly towards them and I enjoy being there.

What chatroom is that? I also use some AS chatrooms but I find them completely mediocre. There's nothing specifically autistic about them and they don't seem different to any other random chatroom in terms of content. They don't even seem to have any particular understanding of how autistic people communicate. IMO occasionally discussing social anxiety doesn't make a chatroom specifically autistic. Seriously, there's socially anxious people in every chatroom.
nprkntlny
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Sobakaa » Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:17 pm

I post on different forums frequently, mainly the board games i play or played before. Reddit, 4chan and other boards aren't of particular interest to me, they are often filled with #######1.
I don't think you can really make friends with someone if you haven't seen him, so the only "friends" i've made online are my gaming buddies, with whom i talk over skype.
Sobakaa
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:55 am

Postby roscid » Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:34 pm

nprkntlny wrote:I also use some AS chatrooms but I find them completely mediocre.

You probably wouldn't be impressed with this one, either. It's not great, it's just good enough, and it suits my needs. They're just average people, but the way in which the communicate more closely mirrors my own.

nprkntlny wrote:There's nothing specifically autistic about them and they don't seem different to any other random chatroom in terms of content. They don't even seem to have any particular understanding of how autistic people communicate.

I haven't found that to be the case with this particular room. Conversations are earnest and intimate and I feel comfortable talking about things there that are usually ignored or misunderstood elsewhere. It's not perfect, but I've learned to accept that no social group will ever fully meet my needs and expectations.
roscid
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby nprkntlny » Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:00 pm

roscid wrote:
nprkntlny wrote:I also use some AS chatrooms but I find them completely mediocre.

You probably wouldn't be impressed with this one, either. It's not great, it's just good enough, and it suits my needs. They're just average people, but the way in which the communicate more closely mirrors my own.

nprkntlny wrote:There's nothing specifically autistic about them and they don't seem different to any other random chatroom in terms of content. They don't even seem to have any particular understanding of how autistic people communicate.

I haven't found that to be the case with this particular room. Conversations are earnest and intimate and I feel comfortable talking about things there that are usually ignored or misunderstood elsewhere. It's not perfect, but I've learned to accept that no social group will ever fully meet my needs and expectations.

Would you be open to sharing the room? Although there's a high likelihood I already know of it. I wouldn't mind finding one that's more focused.
nprkntlny
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby roscid » Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:18 pm

nprkntlny wrote:Would you be open to sharing the room?

I wouldn't feel comfortable doing that, and I honestly didn't expect anyone to ask. Sorry.
roscid
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

PreviousNext

Return to Schizoid Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post