Our partner

Reactions to weather

Schizoid Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Reactions to weather

Postby nprkntlny » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:54 pm

Please state your reaction or lackthereof to various weather states. It would also help to state what kind of climate you were raised in and what kind of climate you live in. And input on whether you think this could be related to SPD or not.

I am from a temperate coastal climate with lots of cloud, wind, rain and overall mildness. I like cool/cold weather and seem to be very resistant to it compared to others. Hot weather absolutely hates me. It feels horrible and oppressive. It feels like it's getting under my skin, into my brain... it feels like it changes something inside me and makes me strange somehow, and I can't think or feel clearly. It enforces its own little alternate reality where things are all different for a while. I hate it. And thus I mostly hate the daytime. Nights are the only time I feel mentally clear and the only time I ever like going out. What is unbearably hot to me can be chilly to others though, so it's extra annoying that I seem to be the only one who notices this oppressive sorcery.

I have a vague notion it may be related to SPD but I have no certainty, hence why I create this topic. I think it may be more a hypersensitivity thing than schizoid, but it may be that the effect is disturbing for a wide range of schizoids.
nprkntlny
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:03 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Reactions to weather

Postby Vreedzame » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:07 am

Raised in and still live in a humid subtropical climate according to wikipedia. It's $#%^, or at least I dislike it greatly. It's constantly sunny and no clouds, when I'd prefer it to be overcast/raining. Although occasionally there are large storms, which are above and beyond my favourite weather.

Not sure if it's related to SPD for me. I think I have these feelings about weather due to my upbringing. Sunny = Lectures from parents about sitting inside all day while "it's a beautiful day". Raining = No lectures, get to stay inside and play games. I could try to explain why I like storms but I'm not sure I could do it very well.
Vreedzame
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:03 am

Postby skinhead ginge » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:53 am

nprkntlny wrote:Hot weather absolutely hates me. It feels horrible and oppressive. It feels like it's getting under my skin, into my brain... it feels like it changes something inside me and makes me strange somehow, and I can't think or feel clearly. It enforces its own little alternate reality where things are all different for a while. I hate it. And thus I mostly hate the daytime. Nights are the only time I feel mentally clear and the only time I ever like going out. What is unbearably hot to me can be chilly to others though, so it's extra annoying that I seem to be the only one who notices this oppressive sorcery.

I have a vague notion it may be related to SPD but I have no certainty, hence why I create this topic. I think it may be more a hypersensitivity thing than schizoid, but it may be that the effect is disturbing for a wide range of schizoids.

I'm feel the same I'm also hypersensitive.
"someone flopped a steamer in the gene pool" by some fat punk rocker possibly the greatest sentence ever written.
skinhead ginge
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Postby Alligator9 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:58 am

i feel better in summer or spring because my house is very cold
Alligator9
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Sloth » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:55 am

I live in the northern part of europe so climate change from around -10 at winter to +24 celcius at high summer and then we have the between. It can get lower and it can get higher but it's just to give the idea.

I like all seasons actually, I like the change it gives. But like you I hate the heat a lot. In my country everyone longs for summer, everything is about summer but for me I don't view it that important.
To me summer is choking (when it's very hot), the air feels pressing and sleeping is not as easy. Also I hate that wearing long sleeved clothes becomes to hot, I really like the sensation of clothes against my skin and feel very odd when I don't cover myself completely.
But! I don't think I "hate" summer regardless. I can see some positive things in summer also so it's not only bad things.

Also I relate to liking storms and rains. I am odd in that sense to other because I am crazy about extreme weathers. It's fascinates me and soothes me when I'm indoors. And sometimes I even take on my raincoat and go out in the storm to be part of it. The best possible weather is a rain storm.
Sloth
Consumer 4
Consumer 4

Postby saudade7 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:00 pm

I can be sensitive to cold. It used to be worse. I would turn the heater on in a house and turn the temperature close to 80, then wear a hoodie, a jacket, and a robe and still be cold. And this was like spring in Louisiana.
saudade7
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby ZonedOut » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:29 pm

I live in Western Europe. The climate is described as ''a moderate maritime climate, with cool summers and mild winters.'' The average highs in summer are around 20 °C or 70 °F where I live and the average highs in winter are just above freezing point. For me, however, the summers are usually not hot enough and the winters are just way too cold for me. Below the average summer highs, I'm trembling like crazy and instantly turning blue. I nearly always wear long sleeved clothing.

I like hot, sunny days, so I can move out between the four walls of my bedroom to sit down in the sun for a while and breathe in some ''fresh'' air. I also like hot summer nights, so I can go out for a nightly walk through the forest without freezing to death. I don't like cloudy or rainy days. However, I do like extreme weather phenomena, for example thunderstorms. In such case, I often go outside to observe.

I can't relate SPD to heat intolerance. In contrary, when looked at the characteristics of the schizoid body type as described in bioenergetics, intolerance to cold is more likely.
Dx - Schizoid Personality Disorder // Attention Deficit Disorder
ZonedOut
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:03 am

Postby under ice » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:04 pm

I don't like cold! Winter is too long and dark and snowy here. When it's cold and damp late in the autumn, my throat becomes very sore and this happens every year. On the other hand, my skin is so fair/sensitive it doesn't tolerate too much sunshine. I also get migraine if I don't wear sunglasses on sunny days, but I still prefer sunny weather to every other kind of weather. I'm happier then.
under ice
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Blog: View Blog (7)

Postby Anepsios » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:04 pm

Mediterranean climate. About 0C in winter to upper thirties in summer give or take. My limbs are always cold if the temperature is below thirty and I'm also generally kinda sensitive to cold, yet feel uncomfortable wearing many layers of clothes, so I usually end up freezing in expense of mobility most of the year.
Could be the climates fault though, we rarely get pure cold, winters are wet, it's always very damp weather here. Thunderstorms are soothing, especially in summer, but rare. Mentally, a week without any sun and my mood takes a huge dive. Luckily it rapidly reverts with some sun exposure.

Given all that, plus that I'm pretty resistant to hot (summers are unbearable for many here), I vastly prefer the summer. Comfortable to do whatever whenever, and broodiness decreased enough to actually do some of them.

Heh, under Ice doesn't like cold :mrgreen:
Anepsios
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby trine » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:13 pm

Was born and grew up in the North, cold weather. Now I live in a place with mild temperatures but I'm very sensitive to cold and virtually always have cold hands and feet. But I'm not fond of hot weather either, it feels suffocating. It's hard for me to adjust to the weather and most of the time I feel a lack of physical comfort, especially when I'm out (either too cold or too hot). It's quite annoying but oh well. Like some others have stated, I enjoy thunderstorms a lot. There's something quite peaceful about slightly cloudy but warm weather as well.
trine
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Next

Return to Schizoid Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post