Our partner

The white box

Schizoid Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderators: WichitaLineman, IceBlock

The white box

Postby jazcat » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:22 am

I've both had and heard of fantasies of the white box. It's a completely empty white room, possibly with the exception of a comfortable chair, that you can sit in and zone out for the rest of eternity. (this may be more relevant to aspies like myself, but I'm sure schizoids must consider it too)

Now, personally, I'd get really lonely, but this wouldn't be the case if I were a greater schizoid than I am. Assuming the loneliness was just magically extracted from your mind, would you actually be able to entertain yourself?
Aspergers
Not schizoid (aspergers) but pretty much schizoid
Panic without agoraphobia
jazcat
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:46 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: The white box

Postby jacknife » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:18 pm

I'd go insane. I need to be entertained and distracted most of the time in order not to overthink and get my head flooded with huge waves of thoughts. If I couldn't carry out the activities I'm currently on, I'd get utterly bored. If that room had all the necessary equipment, however, I wouldn't mind.
jacknife
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:46 pm

Postby ApathySchizoid » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:31 pm

jazcat wrote:Assuming the loneliness was just magically extracted from your mind, would you actually be able to entertain yourself?

Loneliness wouldn't be a problem for me. I'd be content to live in a similar scenario, just add a PC with an internet connection and I'd be content until I die, assuming Id have food and water. But if its just a white room with nothing but a chair I wouldn't be able to cope with the boredom.
ApathySchizoid
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:46 pm

Postby shailene » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:59 pm

I've never heard about this, but I guess my fantasy of living in an underground bunker is somewhat similar. I probably wouldn't get lonely, but I'd never be able to entertain myself. Without overthinking it, I'd probably be fine if I had a computer, internet access and a good pair of headphones though.
shailene
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:46 pm

Postby cobra cat » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:04 pm

I couldn't just 'zone out' forever. I actually usually need to be doing something for my mind to get really active. My imagination and thinking are usually triggered by something I see or hear or do. I'd go nuts if I just had to sit there. I guess there'd be no reason not to get into good shape, when the alternative to working out is to be trapped in boredom.
lia wrote:On another forum the response probably would have been, "No, no, don't try to kill yourself." Here it's, "That method of attempting suicide wouldn't work." :)

Self Diagnosed Schizoid PD
cobra cat
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Blog: View Blog (14)

Postby under ice » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:09 pm

I wanna live in a hollow tree with all modern conveniences :]
under ice
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:46 pm
Blog: View Blog (7)

Postby Mrfeathers » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:26 pm

I think the human mind requires stimulation so a plain, silent white room would drive any human insane. But taking the idea of an isolated room and let's say there is some sort of stimulation in there unique to the user of the room then I still think I'd be driven insane eventually because I do require social interaction occasionally.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 320 character limit.
Mrfeathers
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby jazcat » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:00 pm

I oftentimes wish that I was in the white box with something I procrastinate upon, like a notebook. If I had to choose between twirling the ends of my hair or writing and drawing for a week or so, I'd get a lot of writing and drawing done.
Aspergers
Not schizoid (aspergers) but pretty much schizoid
Panic without agoraphobia
jazcat
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:46 pm

Postby pit » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:35 pm

Would I be able to ring call girls up?
pit
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby EtherealStarlight » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:58 pm

i might have a big imagination, but being stuck in a silent room like that with absolutely nothing to do would be horrible after a while. maybe if i had entertainment and somewhere to exercise or walk around once in a while i'd be okay. give me a laptop with internet access in there and you've got a deal. XD
It's my party, I'll look bored if I want to. >8(
EtherealStarlight
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Next

Return to Schizoid Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post