Our partner

Step mom trying to cope?

Schizoaffective Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Step mom trying to cope?

Postby Stepmom83 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:57 pm

I recently decided to search the Internet for a support group because my step daughter who lives with me is believed to have childhood schizophrenia. Her mother ran odd with her 4 years ago and my husband could not find her. By chance in May we heard that my step daughter and her sisters had been taken by OCS. We were able to get my 2 step daughters in our home for good by July 9th this year. I took her to doctor before school started to see about getting an eye dr referral when she told the doctor she sees thing that are not there like kids playing, lightening, etc.. Of course I was shocked. This was the first we heard of anything like this. OCS already suggested that she go to therapy to deal with the loss of her mother, and the situation she came from. Her mother is not dead but on drugs. At that point I knew I needed to get her into therapy. After her first therapy appointment, I asked her why she acts the way she does. I forgot to mention we had been having huge behavioral problems. I am the devil incarnate to her. Se loves me one minute then hates me the next. We knew their had to be another problem like ADD or Bi POlar disorder. Anyways, I asked her she acts the way she does and she said a man named Steven possesses her body and makes her say things. (She is 11) ....We brought this up at the next therapy appointment but she told the therapist that she does not want to harm herself or others and Steve. Has never asked her too. Of course, I. Not sure if this is every parents first reaction but we assumed she was lying and this is for attention. Because she likes attention. My husband still feels this way. S the psychologist refers her to a psychiatrist for medication. She was started on Abilify 2 days ago and her meds will be go up today to 4 mg. Last night she woke me up crying saying she had a bad dream. That Steven was in her dreams. That I was in a car and he stabbed me. Talk about floored. I know it is just a dream. And from any other child I wouldn't think anything of it but from her it scares me. Is this a sign that violence is yet to come? Am I over reacting. I'm terrified. I feel uneducated about childhood shizophrenia even though I am trying to learn. I'm scared for my other children. When I took on two more kids, I just was not expecting this. And I feel like..... It could ruin my family. Call me weak. I just need SUPPORT!

Thanks,

Saddened, concerned, scared step mom and mom of 4.
Stepmom83
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:59 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Step mom trying to cope?

Postby MirageXD » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:14 pm

I'm so sorry to hear your story. Childhood schizophrenia is quite rare, and most doctors don't have experience with it. Medications are not tested on children, so it's a dark area. Unfortunately, antipsychotics such as Abilify negatively affect the brain development in children. That's why they are not recommended. On the other hand, 4mg of Abilify is really a very low dose, so it might not be so bad.

You can expect more changes as she grows up (for better or worse).

I think you'd like some support on the emotional basis. Unfortunately, that's not my style, but someone else might help you in that regard. It's always best to find some support group in the real world though.
My favorite people list: johnbc, maddogmaddy
My ignore list: Rattatat, ocular_razor, rog
MirageXD
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:59 am
Blog: View Blog (4)

Re: Step mom trying to cope?

Postby Stepmom83 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:22 am

Well they haven't just categorized her schizophrenic . They said she displays symptoms of schizophrenia. The hallucinations and s forth. But they say she shows symptoms of bi polar as well as possibly a touch of autism. So it is a new ate for us but maybe. One day it will be narrowed more down. I have heard that schizophrenia only gets worse for here but symptoms can be managed. It isn't normal for me to feel like I need to hide the butcher block. :-(
Stepmom83
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:59 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to Schizoaffective Disorder

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post