Our partner

Should I consult a psychiatrist?

Schizoaffective Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Should I consult a psychiatrist?

Postby AroundTheWorld » Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:25 pm

Hello all! This is my first post here, in this category, I've made a post about my "problems" in another thread but no one was able to give me a certain answer, so I'll try to summarize:
Everything was normal until a year ago, when I started to hear voices inside my head. At the beginning, I've ignored them, but in the last few months these voices started to be annoying, because they are saying bad things about God and they are often saying that bad things will happen. When I hear the voice(s), my mind(or me, I don't know, I'm confused) replies with swears to them.
I don't know why but "my mind" thinks that these voices are coming from a kind of green aliens(it's weird, I know) and my inner voice is swearing these aliens...
It's just my imagination? Or it's a problem and I should visit a psychiatrist? Thank you and sorry for my bad English.
AroundTheWorld
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:31 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Should I consult a psychiatrist?

Postby Nike Girl » Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:03 pm

I think when people question whether they should seek a consult with a mental health provider, the answer is likely to be yes. If you feel something is not right, it never hurts to ask and actually can be very helpful.

When I am on too low of a dose of my antipsychotics, and sometimes when very stressed, I hear voices inside my head that feel like they are not really MY thoughts. I also have OCD-related thoughts. The OCD thoughts feel like mine, but are disturbing to me. It can be sort of hard for me to tell the difference, except that the ones that don't sound like mine are louder. Anyway, it might be good to get a consult from a mental health professional.
Nike Girl
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:31 am

Postby Winteriscoming » Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:25 pm

If it's coursing you problems you should go.
Winteriscoming
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:31 am

Postby LesMisJim » Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:29 am

AroundTheWorld wrote:Hello all! This is my first post here, in this category, I've made a post about my "problems" in another thread but no one was able to give me a certain answer, so I'll try to summarize:
Everything was normal until a year ago, when I started to hear voices inside my head. At the beginning, I've ignored them, but in the last few months these voices started to be annoying, because they are saying bad things about God and they are often saying that bad things will happen. When I hear the voice(s), my mind(or me, I don't know, I'm confused) replies with swears to them.
I don't know why but "my mind" thinks that these voices are coming from a kind of green aliens(it's weird, I know) and my inner voice is swearing these aliens...
It's just my imagination? Or it's a problem and I should visit a psychiatrist? Thank you and sorry for my bad English.

I recommend finding a psychiatrist, and splurge with what you have experienced. When I finally met with a psychiatrist I had well over a year of hallucinations which had been occurring 24-7, and I was able to remember quite a bit of it on the spot. What you experience may not make sense, and you may not remember everything, but I am guessing you remember how you felt and what you thought (or your reaction) regarding the hallucinations. My experience is that one's own interpretation of the development of voices from foreign entities is rationalized within one's own mind as one of a few things

1) they are aliens
2) it is government control
3) they are demons

People rationalize what they are differently depending on the person, but they generally settle on one of these things. Then the hallucinations may come to affirm the conclusion, or the delusions associated with the hallucinations will ultimately make the person convinced of their conclusion.
LesMisJim
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:31 am

Postby resaebiunne » Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:48 pm

There's many things that can cause hallucinations, some of them quite serious. Go see a pdoc who will give you the work-up to make sure you don't have any physiological problems. After that, take the time to get a proper diagnosis so (if necessary) the pdoc can put you on the proper medications.
resaebiunne
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Local time: Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:31 am

Return to Schizoaffective Disorder

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post