Our partner

I want to try latuda instead but what if my doctor refuses?

Schizoaffective Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

I want to try latuda instead but what if my doctor refuses?

Postby groove311 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:56 pm

i want to try the new medication latuda for my schizoaffective.
It gives better cognitive function, better motivation and some people feel less anxiety and
social anxiety. Also people lose weight which would help my diabetes.

What if my doctor refuses to let me try this medication? do i need to change doctors? what do i need to tell my doctor about this so he'll let me try this medication?

I want to try this medication to help me with better cognitive functions for university classes, diabetes weight gain, and avolition.
Currently invega isn't doing enough. I heard good things about Latuda and it's the newest medication there is.
groove311
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:19 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: I want to try latuda instead but what if my doctor refuses?

Postby Ada » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:46 pm

I'd talk to your doctor about it. And deal with them refusing if it happens.

The things I'd suggest saying are the reasons that you'd like to take it. In medical terms. So focusing on the cognitive function, social anxiety and potential for weight loss. As well as any symptoms that Invega is currently managing for you. [Because you don't want to lose ground on any of those, ideally.]

I would not say "because it's the newest." Because it doesn't matter how old a drug is. Only how well it works for a particular person. I would also only mention motivation if that's something you've shared with them previously as being an issue.

Once you ask. The doctor should be able to give you reasons if they say no to it. For example, they may be concerned if you've changed meds many times in the past. But have been stable on Invega. Or if you've had difficulties managing your diabetes. [Because Latuda can affect blood sugar.] Or there may be other issues that they raise. Such as other med interactions. Or risk factors in your family history. And more practically. Whether it is prescribable for your condition. Based on the country you live in. And National Health guidance as well as whether your insurance will cover it.

It would then be up to you to decide if you want a second opinion. Factoring in the risks and factors that your doctor highlights based on your own medical history.
We think too much and feel too little.
 More than machinery, we need humanity.
 More than cleverness, we need kindness and gentleness.

Charlie Chaplain in The Great Dictator
Ada
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:19 am
Blog: View Blog (35)

Postby jermgray1 » Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:37 pm

Latuda is not good for Schizoaffective disorder. It only helps the Bipolar side and if you're anything like me, the delusions and thoughts and dissociative sides would need help too.
jermgray1
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:19 am

Postby groove311 » Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:57 am

some people with schizoaffective are taking it.

Before 2006, there were no schizoaffective disorder meds. The only schizoaffective med available is invega. So how are you saying those people were treated before invega came out?
They used bipolar and schizophrenia meds.
groove311
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Postby jermgray1 » Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:27 pm

The norm is to take a antipsychotic and a mood stabilizer. Latuda is only a mood stabilizer/bipolar medicine and leaves no room for a true antipsychotic.
jermgray1
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:19 am

Postby groove311 » Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:20 pm

what would my dr combine latuda with? probably lithium carbonate.
i use invega and lithium carbonate for schizoaffective right now. It works really well because I don't get mood swings or psychotic episodes. I believe I can improve my cognitive function and that I get stressed out easily.

I believe Latuda does treat schizophrenia and I would just need lithium carbonate for my mood swings.
I'm going to see my psychiatrist tomorrow so I'll tell him I want to try Latuda. I also scheduled another doc in 5 days just in case I have to change doctors to try Latuda.

It's my only hope to go back to college until better medications come out. That may take 5-10 years.
groove311
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Return to Schizoaffective Disorder

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post