Our partner

How do I make good decisions with my Schizoaffective?

Schizoaffective Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

How do I make good decisions with my Schizoaffective?

Postby d3ltah4lo » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:55 pm

A lot of the time when others prompt me to do something that is too much for me I get a mixed reaction. First I feel the warning signs go off telling me that the event is too much for me to handle. Then I feel the doubts creep in saying "You used to be able to do that no problem, whats wrong with you?". And these two feelings alternate inside me, one pushing me to safety and the other questioning my resolve to stay safe.

It can be really frustrating enduring this inner battle, and then have to deal with pressure from others who don't understand that I "cant" do that. From their perspective it just seems like I am being difficult and obstinate, which most people solve by pushing harder to get their way, which makes all of it worse. These are the people that I need to create some distance from and if needs be cut out of my life all together.

It makes me really grateful for those close to me who take the time to understand my limitations. It is these people that keep me going during the hard times. It is these people that deserve my gratitude, time, and care.

Through all of this self analyzing another question has come to my mind. When I am dealing with the inner struggle of safety vs. pushing myself, how do I make the right decision? How do I push myself safely? How do I grow and develop yet balance the limitations of my illness? Thank you.
d3ltah4lo
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:02 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: How do I make good decisions with my Schizoaffective?

Postby Cheze2 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:29 am

d3ltah4lo wrote: How do I push myself safely? How do I grow and develop yet balance the limitations of my illness? Thank you.

This is a great question. What I have done is to slowly test out my limits, I will try a small amount of something and see how it goes. For example, sleep is a big one for me. I need a regular sleep schedule to feel well. I used to be very regimented with this. Sleep at 10pm and wake at 6am, 7 days a week. Slowly, I've been able to allow myself some fluctuation with this so that I can at least try to get 8 hours of sleep but I can go to bed from anywhere from 9pm-12am. That's been helpful with friends who want to hang out later. I notice that I may not be at 100% if I do this too many days in a row, but I'm not falling apart either. It feels good to know that I don't have to be ruled by my sleep schedule.
Bipolar I with Psychotic features; Borderline Personality disorder; GAD
Today's cocktail is: Quetiapine 100mg; Latuda 40mg; Trilafon: 8mg
Forum Rules
"No matter how long the night, the dawn always breaks" -African Proverb
Cheze2
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:02 pm

Postby d3ltah4lo » Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:57 pm

Thank you for your reply. That is a very good example, I will try that for sure.
d3ltah4lo
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:02 pm

Postby twistednerve » Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:50 pm

Cheze2 wrote:
d3ltah4lo wrote: How do I push myself safely? How do I grow and develop yet balance the limitations of my illness? Thank you.

This is a great question. What I have done is to slowly test out my limits, I will try a small amount of something and see how it goes. For example, sleep is a big one for me. I need a regular sleep schedule to feel well. I used to be very regimented with this. Sleep at 10pm and wake at 6am, 7 days a week. Slowly, I've been able to allow myself some fluctuation with this so that I can at least try to get 8 hours of sleep but I can go to bed from anywhere from 9pm-12am. That's been helpful with friends who want to hang out later. I notice that I may not be at 100% if I do this too many days in a row, but I'm not falling apart either. It feels good to know that I don't have to be ruled by my sleep schedule.

"sleep on it" is a very sound advice. Good sleep is crucial for well being, but specially good for cognition, decision making and moving on with things. A good night of sleep is extremely important, and I do believe most of mental illness recovery and perpetuation comes from sleep. PTSD sufferers's brain acitivites sky rocket during sleep, depressed people too. The brain keeps gnawing at the same bad memories or issues, not going forward. This builds up extreme physiological stress.

Good sleep is just essential.
twistednerve
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:02 am

Return to Schizoaffective Disorder

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post