Our partner

Physically abusive to my younger brother?

Open Discussions about Remorse Issues.

Moderators: Snaga, catnaps

Physically abusive to my younger brother?

Postby Hithere28 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:18 am

Today my brother and I were fighting about something stupid and I got upset, almost cried, and pinched my brother's arm. He wasn't hurt, thank god, but I felt awful afterwards because I always feel like I'm being abusive to my brother in one way or another.

I'm 18 currently, but when I was younger like in my earlier teen years and prior to that, I would pinch or lightly slap my brother sometimes when I was mad. I don't mean like everyday (it was really on fairly rare occasions) and he would hurt me too sometimes, but I'm trying to control my anger better now that I'm older. Except today this happened and I feel so horrible for letting my anger get out of control and doing that.

I apologized to him twice but I don't know if that really means anything anymore. He didn't seem to bothered by it, but I can't be sure.

And as a side note - I always feel like I'm manipulating him or making him feel bad by what I say and it's not my intention, I have a tendency to want to correct people when they're wrong. I've been trying my hardest to be a better sister and to be nicer and everything, but tonight he struck a nerve and I got mad and pinched him and I don't know what to do.
Hithere28
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:35 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Physically abusive to my younger brother?

Postby sprock » Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:40 pm

If I'm honest I think it's very common that older siblings are physically abusive towards a younger sibling and it needs to be talked about more. Certainly I can think of a few occasions when as a teenager I hit or kicked my brother - mostly around 14 when I was angry due to being bullied at school. We have a great relationship now. Rightly or wrongly, I think generally people do not think about this stuff in terms of abuse. I also think the line between playfighting and being genuinely harmful can be blurry with siblings when young.

So, the best thing you can do is apologise and work on controlling your anger. Maybe have a think about why you get so irritated/ angry and try some meditation, which may help in time. You're still young so it definitely doesn't have to be a permanent thing! :)
sprock
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:35 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to Remorse

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post