Our partner

I get too attached to people

Open Discussions about Relationship Issues.

Moderator: Otter

I get too attached to people

Postby danto » Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:38 am

I've been looking through a lot of posts on here, and I have to say that I'm quite impressed. There are a lot of intelligent and supportive posters. I've only witnessed one petty fight so far :lol:

Anyway, my whole life (I'm 25 now), I've always had VERY intense feelings of love for those close to me. Unfortunately, I also have a lot of issues with anxiety. It seems these two things don't mix well. I'm constantly worrying that something may happen to someone I love. I normally just keep these worries to myself, as I realize it's something no one has much control over.

Regardless, the anxiety is not problem. In the handful of romantic relationships that I've been in, I've developed INCREDIBLY strong feelings for my partner. So much so, I feel it might be unhealthy. They become just about the most important thing in my life, and I sometimes obsess over them a bit. I want to make them happy SO BADLY. Their happiness brings me happiness.

I might come off overbearing, crazy, or whatever, but for one reason or another, my relationships always abruptly end not that long after they begin. The pain I feel from that loss is so overwhelming, my life comes to a complete halt. I have some issues with depression, but it's always manageable until a bad breakup. All I can focus on is how much I loved that person and how badly it hurts being without them. It's so difficult for me to recover.

Anyway, I realize this as it's happening. It's not that I'm dependent on them, it's just that they make me SO happy. There's just such an abnormal strength of emotion for me in my relationships. I never lose that feeling of love for them either, even after they dump me. I'm currently recovering from the longest, most meaningful relationship I've ever had. He abruptly dumped me for someone else. I've had an unbearably rough week so far, but I've "tricked" myself into feeling good right now by focusing on the fact that he is happy. To me, this shows my love is sincere, as I am able to find genuine comfort in knowing that he's happy. Really though, it's just a matter of time before something triggers me back into my heartbroken state. After all, I do have to acknowledge my own happiness (or lack of).

I know you're not allowed to diagnosis on here, so I'm not asking that. What I am wondering is if something like this is considered "normal" or if it sounds like some aspect of any kind of disorder. Is there some kind of condition associated with something like this?

I don't think I need any kind of professional help concerning this area, but who knows. Maybe it's something I should look into? Maybe it's just an aspect of my depression that I'm unaware of. Maybe I'm just weird.

I'd appreciate any thoughts on the matter! Thanks!
danto
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:29 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: I get too attached to people

Postby ray_of_sunshine » Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:37 pm

I suffer the exact same symptoms and for me it is the result of having borderline personality disorder.

I'm actually overly concerned at this point in time with my current partner. I want to over load him with love, kiss him, hug him, cuddle him, give him happiness with cooking, cleaning, leaving love letters and I am always in demand of getting it back. I don't want to push him away with this love, but I only do it to make him happy.

Do some research on borderline personality disorder and relationships, Those diagnosed with it always suffer in partnerships of any form. Those who have the disorder feel immense love for someone in a new relationship, like they have almost found thier soul mate and everything about them is perfect! Soon enough the relationship ends and we are in heart break, unsure of our emotions. We either end up with an overwhelming hate for the ex partner, a desire need to have them back, or we go out of our way as some sort of revenge to sleep around.

I don't know if you relate to any of these symptoms, but it may be worth a shot looking into borderline personality disorder.

Hope this could help.
ray_of_sunshine
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:29 am

Re: I get too attached to people

Postby danto » Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:54 pm

Thanks for responding!

It's funny you suggest looking into BDP. I've actually suspected my issues might be related to that, but I haven't been to a real professional who could determine that for sure. I'm pretty much half-self-diagnosed at this point. Part of the reason I posted this in the Relationship section was to try to include any other potential causes/conditions. Coincidentally, I'm led straight back to BDP! XD
danto
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:29 pm

Return to Relationship Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post