Our partner

Do any women like male loners?

Open Discussions about Relationship Issues.

Moderator: Otter

Re: Do any women like male loners?

Postby causalset » Wed May 20, 2015 4:02 pm

Callalily wrote:I always thought this was ridiculous, and that people shouldn't hide their feelings, so if I felt attracted to someone I was really transparent about it. Unfortunately, every time I've approached a man in this way, I've been rejected. So either I'm really unattractive, men really do want to make the first move, or both. :?

Are you sure they consciously rejected you, as opposed to simply their brain being at a wrong place at a wrong time?

I remember few years ago I was spending enormous amount of time on dating websites as well as obsessing why don't girls at my church approach me. Then after that I would need to catch up on my homework. And then finally, at 2 AM, I would go home to sleep. On my way home I would go to grocery store. Then some random girl would try to talk to me. But she was "an obstacle" on my way of getting home to eat that food I was buying and rolling into bed. So I was brushing her off -- right at the exact time when I was obsessing why don't girls at the church approach me, yet somehow my mind never put HER in the category of "girls". The biggest irony is that I generalized "girls at the church" to "all girls" so I was thinking "I wish any girl in the planet could approach me yet all the girls in the planet conspired not to". Well, the girl in the grocery store certainly fits a category of "one of the girls in the planet". So why didn't it ever occurred to me that SHE approached me? Well it just didn't.

However, there is a solution: the solution would be for that girl at the grocery store to be a bit more explicit. Instead of asking me how is your day, she should have said "hey, remember those girls at the church that don't talk to you? Well I think they are shallow and I feel bad for you. Now, unlike them, I like you and in fact maybe I even want to date you. Lets hang around and see where it goes" If she were to say it this way, then I would totally run for the opportunity. But unfortunately she was a bit less explicit, all she was doing was just asking me how my day was.

Then the time came when she said, to one of her friends, "I am in love with that guy" and she asked her "which one" and she said "the one that comes in here, never talks". Well, that was the FIRST time I EVER paid attention to her, since that was the first time the thought was put into my head. But you see this was pretty ambiguous: on the one hand "that guy" MIGHT mean "the guy standing in the room" (which would be me) but on the other hand it might also mean some guy they were talking earlier about (well I didn't hear them talk about anyone but perhaps she refers to what they talked about 10 minutes before I walked in)? And if I take her answer to "which one", on the one hand "comes in here never talks" would describe me (I am the only one that doesn't talk, due to my Asperger), but on the other hand, if it was really me, she would have said "the one right here" but she didn't. So could it be some twin of mine who also doesn't talk that she is in love with? Now, I was afraid to simply ask if she meant me: in case she didn't, I would feel like a fool for asking. So I was forced to pretend not to hear it. She didn't try to talk to me at any of the future times so it forever remained a mystery.

Several years later I realized that that woman was interested and I actually tried my best to ask people around to help me find her. Unfortunately it was all futile since I never asked what her name was back at the time.

Anyway, back to what you are saying. Could it be that the reason you were "rejected" is simply that men don't read signals as easily as women do? So you THOUGHT you asked them out, but you really didn't (either it was not strong enough for them to notice at all, as happened with that girl at the beginning, or strong enough for them to notice, but ambiguous enough for them to remain unsure if they are reading you correctly, as happened with that girl at the end)? And then you THOUGHT they rejected you while actually they were going on about their own lives (in case they didn't notice things) or were waiting for you to make stronger statement (in case they were suspecting you asked them out but weren't sure if you did)?
causalset
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:47 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Postby Callalily » Wed May 20, 2015 5:52 pm

xdude wrote:What I do want to throw in is the word 'ambivalence'
"...the state of having mixed feelings or contradictory ideas about something or someone..."
i.e. the answers may fluctuate because we people do struggle with ever changing wants and emotions.

I totally relate to what you're saying, but unfortunately in my case I'm dealing unequivocally with just one emotion, which is fear. :( I'm so, so scared of rejection. I feel like a turtle hiding in its shell. I feel really unattractive and unworthy, and having it confirmed by someone else would just break my head apart I think.

It's awful, because it makes it hard for me to socialize or leave the house; I have trouble even contacting people. Like I had a falling out with one of my good friends a few months ago, and I've thought a couple of times about reaching out so maybe we can patch things up, but it's like I literally, physically can't, my fingers won't move and my mind goes blank. I feel safer keeping to myself and living in my own world.

I really don't want to be this way anymore but I feel like I don't know how to change it. If anyone has any suggestions or advice I'd really appreciate it.
Callalily
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:17 am
Blog: View Blog (22)

Postby Callalily » Wed May 20, 2015 7:58 pm

causalset wrote:Are you sure they consciously rejected you, as opposed to simply their brain being at a wrong place at a wrong time?

They are consciously rejecting me.
Callalily
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby xdude » Wed May 20, 2015 8:05 pm

Callalily wrote:
xdude wrote:What I do want to throw in is the word 'ambivalence'
"...the state of having mixed feelings or contradictory ideas about something or someone..."
i.e. the answers may fluctuate because we people do struggle with ever changing wants and emotions.

I totally relate to what you're saying, but unfortunately in my case I'm dealing unequivocally with just one emotion, which is fear. :( I'm so, so scared of rejection. I feel like a turtle hiding in its shell. I feel really unattractive and unworthy, and having it confirmed by someone else would just break my head apart I think.

It's awful, because it makes it hard for me to socialize or leave the house; I have trouble even contacting people. Like I had a falling out with one of my good friends a few months ago, and I've thought a couple of times about reaching out so maybe we can patch things up, but it's like I literally, physically can't, my fingers won't move and my mind goes blank. I feel safer keeping to myself and living in my own world.

I really don't want to be this way anymore but I feel like I don't know how to change it. If anyone has any suggestions or advice I'd really appreciate it.

Hey Callalily,

Sadly you might also be pursuing with the wrong men too.

Sad but true, some people just use tearing others down as a mechanism to play on people's self-esteem issues, and in so doing they get what they care about, control. Been there and done that myself :)

The hard part is to be open to people who do care about us, and not pursue those who cannot care.
We do NOT delete posts

Read the forum rules before posting here. If you are having any doubts about what you are posting, if you are thinking in the back of your mind, "I am going to want to delete this, or these details, later", remove those details, or step back and don't post until you are sure.
xdude
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Callalily » Wed May 20, 2015 8:15 pm

xdude wrote:Sadly you might also be pursuing with the wrong men too.

Sad but true, some people just use tearing others down as a mechanism to play on people's self-esteem issues, and in so doing they get what they care about, control. Been there and done that myself :)

The hard part is to be open to people who do care about us, and not pursue those who cannot care.

This is the best advice ever. Thank you.
Callalily
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Callalily » Thu May 21, 2015 12:01 am

causalset wrote:
Several years later I realized that that woman was interested and I actually tried my best to ask people around to help me find her. Unfortunately it was all futile since I never asked what her name was back at the time.

Anyway, back to what you are saying. Could it be that the reason you were "rejected" is simply that men don't read signals as easily as women do? So you THOUGHT you asked them out, but you really didn't (either it was not strong enough for them to notice at all, as happened with that girl at the beginning, or strong enough for them to notice, but ambiguous enough for them to remain unsure if they are reading you correctly, as happened with that girl at the end)? And then you THOUGHT they rejected you while actually they were going on about their own lives (in case they didn't notice things) or were waiting for you to make stronger statement (in case they were suspecting you asked them out but weren't sure if you did)?

Sorry for giving a short half-answer before, and thank you for sharing your experience with me. I know what you're talking about, and that's a problem I think lots of people struggle with. Unfortunately I seem to have the opposite issue.

I'm kind of an emotional person and I feel things really strongly. Sometimes it's like there is no padding between me and the outside world. So when I like someone, I think I act really intense or come on too strongly. I think it scares people or makes them feel pressured. They think I'm picking out wedding dresses or have a shrine to them in my basement or something.

Which is ironic, because I'm actually the most commitment-phobic person I know. I'm 36 and not married. I do fall in love very deeply but the idea of promising someone I will always be there scares me to death because then they're counting on me, and what if I disappoint them or hurt them?

Anyway I'm trying really hard to be less invasive / abrasive / dependent. Mostly because I really hate the thought that I'm scaring people. Have you ever seen Overly Attached Girlfriend? http://i.imgur.com/dzLqPfU.jpg If that's how I'm coming across, I can't blame guys for keeping their distance. :|
Callalily
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby causalset » Thu May 21, 2015 12:19 am

Callalily wrote:
causalset wrote:

Sorry for giving a short half-answer before, and thank you for sharing your experience with me. I know what you're talking about, and that's a problem I think lots of people struggle with. Unfortunately I seem to have the opposite issue.

I'm kind of an emotional person and I feel things really strongly. Sometimes it's like there is no padding between me and the outside world. So when I like someone, I think I act really intense or come on too strongly. I think it scares people or makes them feel pressured. They think I'm picking out wedding dresses or have a shrine to them in my basement or something.

Which is ironic, because I'm actually the most commitment-phobic person I know. I'm 36 and not married. I do fall in love very deeply but the idea of promising someone I will always be there scares me to death because then they're counting on me, and what if I disappoint them or hurt them?

Anyway I'm trying really hard to be less invasive / abrasive / dependent. Mostly because I really hate the thought that I'm scaring people. Have you ever seen Overly Attached Girlfriend? http://i.imgur.com/dzLqPfU.jpg If that's how I'm coming across, I can't blame guys for keeping their distance. :|

I see exactly where you are coming from. In my case also I look for a lot of emotional connection yet I am scared of marriage. The reason I am scared of marriage is because I am Christian and Jesus said divorce is adultery. So marriage is like an irreversible move that I would never ever ever able to undo. Thats a scary thought.

On the other hand, as far as emotional connection, I am pretty needy person -- part of the reason is that I feel ostracized by most people, so its pretty much the job of my girlfriend to provide enough company to me that would compensate for all the ostracism I experienced past several years. And that is one of the things that tends to scare the girls away.

I am 35 years old and also single. So I can see exactly where you are coming from. Do you feel bad for missing out on your 20-s? I certainly do.
causalset
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:47 pm

Previous

Return to Relationship Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post