Our partner

Why do rape victims feel ashamed for something someone else

Open Discussions About Rape and Sexual Assault.

Moderators: salted lipstick, Ada, Restored

Why do rape victims feel ashamed for something someone else

Postby MizzCatharine » Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:05 am

did to them?

Kinda illogical, isnt it?
MizzCatharine
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:54 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Postby jasmin » Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:34 pm

Hi, MizzCatharine! Victims have no reason to be ashamed of something that someone else did, but they often blame themselves maybe for not being more careful about where they went or who they spent time with or not fighting "enough" or at all.
Societies still blame the victim sometimes and they see what happened as something dirty that they have to keep themselves safe from, in every way, so they make the victim seem dirty too.
I guess it's a normal reaction to what happened as well, since your identity has been violated.
It's ok to feel this, but it is not your fault, no matter what happened.
How are you doing?
jasmin
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby MizzCatharine » Sun Oct 12, 2008 1:27 am

jasmin wrote:Hi, MizzCatharine! Victims have no reason to be ashamed of something that someone else did, but they often blame themselves maybe for not being more careful about where they went or who they spent time with or not fighting "enough" or at all.
Societies still blame the victim sometimes and they see what happened as something dirty that they have to keep themselves safe from, in every way, so they make the victim seem dirty too.
I guess it's a normal reaction to what happened as well, since your identity has been violated.
It's ok to feel this, but it is not your fault, no matter what happened.
How are you doing?

Meh..i'm OK..my headshrink says that I rationalize too much. I even try to take the blame to give myself sense a power
But all that aside, why would I feel ashamed for something someone else did to me? Makes no sense
MizzCatharine
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Return to Rape and Sexual Assault

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post